Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

Schmitty 87 07-29-2007 12:38 AM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

WhoIam: Ya I was going to go to Lao but I decided to stay for the full moon and since my flight is on the 9th I'd be rushing there and rushing back. No fun.

Anyone going to be on Phangan for the full moon?

Anyone been to Kanchaburi or cities like that around Bangkok?

ofdabeat 07-29-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the accounts that Degen is using as gimicks to keep this stupid thread alive?

ofdabeat and farang0 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No i'm not. I'm a real person and stuff ( see member since... )

BTW you are an idiot

Schmitty 87 07-29-2007 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I had no idea what a Falang or Farang0 is, and I just assumed it was stome stupid thing Degen made up. A google search shows it might be some Thai thing, so maybe you're just some independent Thai enthusiast who also chose a similar sounding username.

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant.

this thread is the reason I came to Thailand. i would have never known about it otherwise. ty degen and all other contributors.

edfurlong 07-29-2007 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread is the reason I came to Thailand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

ChoicestHops 07-29-2007 02:08 AM

Ditto.. Im planning a trip and want to stay a couple months starting at the end of August.

rutang 07-29-2007 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does anybody know where i can get melatonin tablets in bangkok?

I tried boots and the places in pat pong.

They have it there, but they have 3mg tablets (!!!! - I'm a big guy and 1mg is enough, 3mg would be fine for elephants).

[/ QUOTE ]

if you can't find any melatonin in smaller dosages, you could always chop up the tablets, won't cause any problems, or just eat the 3mg tablets. your body just rids itself of extra melatonin that it doesn't "process" or whatever, with no bad side effects at all.

john voight 07-29-2007 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does anybody know where i can get melatonin tablets in bangkok?

I tried boots and the places in pat pong.

They have it there, but they have 3mg tablets (!!!! - I'm a big guy and 1mg is enough, 3mg would be fine for elephants).

[/ QUOTE ]

I take about 4-5mg melatonin + 1,000mg valarian when I want to get sleepy. And im very thin person.

I'll bring some when I come to Thailand. (possibly as soon as mid 2008)

john voight 07-29-2007 06:04 AM

out of curiosity, about how many 2+2ers are in proximity to Thailand right now (Thailan + Laos, + Cambodia, maybe even Vietnam)?

How many plan on going in the next year?
Like seriously planning, (research stuff, know you will have free time to travel, saving up $, etc...)

Is it common for 2+2ers to not only meet up, but to hang out for multiple days?

I want to go eventually, possibly as soon as spring or summer 08.

The 2+2 community over there is a factor in my trip going. It would be much more comforting knowing I would have some degenerates who could either show me around, or guide me in my travel.

Hell, down the line, if our travels are success, we can pitch in on a property and work out a time share type of deal, and have a 2+2 club house!

noseeds99 07-29-2007 07:29 AM

i just read this thread, wow like 8 hours or something, and am seriously considering going after I graduate in may 08.

imakefrush 07-29-2007 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
out of curiosity, about how many 2+2ers are in proximity to Thailand right now (Thailan + Laos, + Cambodia, maybe even Vietnam)?

How many plan on going in the next year?
Like seriously planning, (research stuff, know you will have free time to travel, saving up $, etc...)

Is it common for 2+2ers to not only meet up, but to hang out for multiple days?

I want to go eventually, possibly as soon as spring or summer 08.

The 2+2 community over there is a factor in my trip going. It would be much more comforting knowing I would have some degenerates who could either show me around, or guide me in my travel.

Hell, down the line, if our travels are success, we can pitch in on a property and work out a time share type of deal, and have a 2+2 club house!

[/ QUOTE ]

I came here 1.5 months ago and have spent most of my time in BKK.

I met up with a couple 2p2ers for a beer and found that their apartment/hotel was a lot better than mine and moved into the same building. We have hung out/ gone out together a lot since.

Though I cannot quote a number for how many are in the region, I would say that there definitely isn't a 'community'. Maybe I haven't dug enough. The problem here is that there are not too many long term expats that a typical 2p2er would want to hang out with. There are a lot of young westerners here, but they are on a 1-2 week vacation. Most of the permanents are older men here for one reason or another (see: sex trade).

So, I kinda wish there was more of a community. I lived in Buenos Aires for 3 years (and will be going back) and my core group of friends were all pros. Though all were not necessarily 2p2ers, it was an optimal situation, as we were very like minded and had similar interests.

On a side note: I am heading to Bali for a month. Anybody living there? Anybody wanna grab a beer, eat some fondue, play some croquet, etc...?

iwantbooze 07-30-2007 07:56 AM

If i take 3mg the next day i can't think properly...

Also, you're not supposed to chop them up because the tablet coating should result in a reasonably slow release into the stomach.

btw, if anybody wants to meet up in bkk in the next couple of weeks for a beer or similar (going back to australia for a bit). pm me?

Schmitty 87 07-31-2007 12:36 AM

I'm going to be in Bangkok from the 2nd-8th. let's set something up for sure

slimbob 07-31-2007 03:55 AM

Blogpost from Degen about livepoker in Bangkok

I just read the very interesting post from Degen about a livepoker experience. I am not connected to Degen but I think its interesting to read so mods before you delete it just read the post first.

degen stated: Feel free to cross-post this any place you like. It was definately one of the more interesting experiences I have ever had.

so i guress its ok to post it here. should be good for a couple of posts...

http://grindblog.blogspot.com/

ofdabeat 07-31-2007 04:10 AM

We ( me and frush ) have found the perfect "2+2 country club" place in bkk last night. Strong booze, good music, comfy sofa, good restaurant and not too expensive. I gonna check it again friday to see how it is on the WE, so 2+2ers in BKK feel free to contact me.

PS: please take notice : i won't barfine in gogo's for at least a few months, too much freaking drama. Anyone up for a massage? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

pokerclack 07-31-2007 09:40 AM

this club sounds good. wont be here onweekend tho, Ofdabeat, any good places to eat andor drink aroundkoh san? Thailand is a very cool plac sofar,,

xxThe_Lebowskixx 07-31-2007 11:00 AM

can someone else in thailand please log into party poker and try to sit at a real money table. i am getting a message saying that {i am either playing from, or registered at a location that doesnt accept real money players}.

if you are playing from thailand but your accounts address is somewhere outside thailand, please clarify.

Madd 07-31-2007 03:15 PM

KKF,

I get the same message.

iron81 07-31-2007 03:28 PM

Aren't you in Germany? This is starting to sound more like a glitch instead of Party blocking you guys.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 07-31-2007 03:42 PM

Hotmark is from (I think) Lebanon. He is locked out, as is his friend from Beirut. Its not a glitch, they have confirmed via email that they are not accepting players from my location, however they have not verified if they are only not accepting players with a Thai address, or anyone logging in from a Thai IP address.

Madd 07-31-2007 04:03 PM

At the moment I stay in Thailand, but my adress is in germany.

ofdabeat 07-31-2007 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this club sounds good. wont be here onweekend tho, Ofdabeat, any good places to eat andor drink aroundkoh san? Thailand is a very cool plac sofar,,

[/ QUOTE ]

Around khao san no, probably the worst value for food in the whole thailand. Dependaing of what kind of food and what budget i can give you a few adresses no problem.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 08-01-2007 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the moment I stay in Thailand, but my adress is in germany.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would definitely recommend calling PP and clarifying that you are in vacation and playing in thailand. previously, this was the policy and you were allowed to play from thailand with a foriegn address after you confirmed it with them via phone.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 08-01-2007 04:54 AM

I spoke with a guy from VIP who I wouldnt entirely trust, but he said Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand, and Singapore were closed. Cambodia and Vietnam were still open.

No one can play from Thailand regardless of their registered address.

pokerclack 08-01-2007 09:55 AM

of da beat, really just looking for good food in the area. finding some myself but was just wondering . thanks

Jay. 08-04-2007 09:02 AM

yoo,

i read that there's a kite surfing company set up on chaweng, samui. can any of you guys in samui confirm it's there?

planning a short trip in sept. seen samui too many times already but if that's there i'll have to visit for at least 3 days. i think onwards to ko tao (been diving there before but never visited) to get away from the tourist trap ways, any advances on places to go instead of ko tao. shooting for chilled out, food, some nightlife, will do some diving, etc.

ty ty ty.

farang0 08-04-2007 01:47 PM

Yes, there is a shop in one of the hotels along chaweng. They also have a shop in Big Buddah somewhere. If you search google you should find them pretty easy.

Havent seen any pics in this thread for ages so here is my contribution:
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5610/bankgirlkm9.jpg

Raven 08-04-2007 02:59 PM

she's one of the cutest thai I've seen, nice

Madd 08-04-2007 03:50 PM

Nice try, farang0.

farang0 08-04-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice try, farang0.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

imthaifool 08-06-2007 09:26 AM

I'm in Thailand. If any of y'all want to meet up and chill holla at me. What club are you talking about ofdabeat?

ofdabeat 08-06-2007 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in Thailand. If any of y'all want to meet up and chill holla at me. What club are you talking about ofdabeat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hu'u on sathorn

pokerclack 08-06-2007 10:54 AM

Iwantbooze just go to www.breitling.com and then look at the watches. i have seen some ok ones in Samui for 2700without bartering. subdials were very clear tho. hesitant to buy any tho without an expert eye. ha

Shizzle12345 08-06-2007 11:25 AM

I dont feel like reading 186 pages, but what are you guys doing in thailand? You got family there? living there because its so cheap? Or you got a job there?

WhoIam 08-07-2007 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont feel like reading 186 pages, but what are you guys doing in thailand? You got family there? living there because its so cheap? Or you got a job there?

[/ QUOTE ]
PM Degen, he should be able to answer this for you.

Paul B. 08-07-2007 03:21 AM

The little research I've done tells me that December is when the weather starts to get good, marking the beginning of the "high" season. How much do prices increase at this time? Same with tourism - does it get really packed? e.g. will I be able to snorkle in peace or will there be hundreds of other tourists snorkling too?

Could someone please clarify the Visa rules regarding the whole 90-day thing? What's the best solution if I wanna get there around December and leave in March? Should I just cut the trip to 12/15 - 3/15 to avoid the hassle of having to leave the country for Visa reasons?

Also, I'm sure this has been answered before, but what's the recommended method of renting an apartment for 3 months? Are craigslist listings worth looking at? I'm looking at some of the apts listed there and the cool looking 1BRs seem to be in the 20-25,000 baht range ($700-850 USD) - is that to be expected, or do better deals exist?

WhoIam 08-07-2007 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Could someone please clarify the Visa rules regarding the whole 90-day thing? What's the best solution if I wanna get there around December and leave in March? Should I just cut the trip to 12/15 - 3/15 to avoid the hassle of having to leave the country for Visa reasons?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Get 60-day visa from Thai consolate in your country.
2. After 60 days, go on Visa run and get 30-day visa.
3. After 30 days, go on Visa run and get 30-day visa.
4. Repeat 3.
5. If you want to stay longer, go to Thai consulate in foreign capital and get 60-day visa.

08-07-2007 03:41 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

WhoIam 08-07-2007 03:55 AM

I am so offended you left Vientiane off the list of possible cities to fly to. Plus it's only like 5000 baht round-trip from bkk.

Paul, if you hate visa runs and are not on a budget, go with what Wally said.

Tempest122 08-07-2007 05:55 AM

Do you guys know if it is possible to buy a 5 year visa or something like that?

JackAll 08-07-2007 05:59 AM

There are two short visas:

1. Tourist visa - you need to get this at an actual embassy/consulate. This is 60 days and u can extend it for 30 days. After this, you can go to Kuala Lumpoor, Penang, etc whatever to get the same thing and come back.

2. Visa on Arival - As your coming in, they give you this, so you don't need to do anything before hand. It is only valid for 30 days, and after that, you can head to any border (up north we go to Mae Sai) and get another 30 day visa. NB They did change the rules last october saying that after 90 days on a Visa on Arrival, you can not get it again for 90 days after that (3 x 30 day stamps max per 180 day period)

So, if you are out of your country now, I would suggest getting a 60+30 Tourist visa (some countries you can get a year, so try for that).

Now, if you want to stay for a long term, when you arrive, ask them to NOT stamp and use this. Get the visa on arrival. Then do a border run 2 more times. After this, head to a border (or maybe u can just go to immigration, i dunno) and tell them to use your Tourist Visa. This will last 3 momths (2 months plus go to immigration to extend for 3rd month) and then you can go and do 3 more monthly border runs. That gives you 9 months without leaving the country other than a border run.

After that, you need to head to one of those countries to get a new 60+30 Tourist visa, then when that is used up, do 3 border runs. Rinse and repeat every 6 months.

Or if you don't mind travelling to another country, you can just get a new Tourist visa every 3 months.