Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Live $3/$5 hand (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=288990)

bilbo-san 12-22-2006 01:55 AM

Live $3/$5 hand

Hero has $580
CO has $520
Button covers us

CO is a very loose and pretty aggressive player who seems to sort of know what he's doing postflop, but limp-calls way too much preflop. From a relatively small sample size my read is that he leads into PFRs with strong hands.

Button is a little too loose preflop, doesn't quite understand the dangers of dominated hands, and overplays good but not great hands postflop (i.e. doesn't understand concepts like being ahead of the calling range to make raising ok). He's not a complete fool, though, and can lay down a hand if it's obvious he's beat.

Hero limps in EP with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], MP limps, Button makes it $20, BB calls, I call, MP calls.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB checks, I decide the A is tempting enough to go for the C/R because BB might call if button bets a big Ace, MP surprises me and bets $45, Button makes it $100, BB folds, Hero...?

calling, raising, and pushing all seem to be bad because they give away my hand. At this point I hate that I did not lead. Then again, if the board pairs it will kill my action (barring an A), and a 3 or a 5 will probably kill it too. What's the best play?

pr0crast 12-22-2006 01:57 AM

Re: Live $3/$5 hand

As played I don't see an alternative to pushing...

bilbo-san 12-22-2006 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As played I don't see an alternative to pushing...

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think calling is an option? What draws am I protecting against?

cs3 12-22-2006 02:04 AM

youre not worried that MP has 44 are you? (he very well might but that would just be nittish ot try to keep the pot small for that reason.)
just push, it might look like a steal and maybe MP calls you with his A2/A4.

bilbo-san 12-22-2006 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

youre not worried that MP has 44 are you? (he very well might but that would just be nittish ot try to keep the pot small for that reason.)
just push, it might look like a steal and maybe MP calls you with his A2/A4.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 116 BBs I am worried about set over set precisely never (regardless of what actually happened in this hand). I'm rolled enough for these stakes. If that happens, I just rebuy.

I'm worried about which line maximizes EV here. Specifically:

1) was it a big mistake not to lead? I didn't want to lead, because if button has TT-KK I probably don't make much from him anyway, and if he has an Ace I want to give BB the chance to put money in. Of course, if I lead, CO might put money in and then Button might raise his Ace....

2) Given that I didn't, what's the best play now?

orange 12-22-2006 02:11 AM

meh, its live. do whatever you think is necessary to get it in in this spot. c/r is fine on the flop. you'll always get called by AK and the like. if you think MP might reopen the betting, calling the button raise of $100 is best imo. (though i dont think it matters much either way).

Fly 12-22-2006 02:14 AM

Just call. You have to atleast pretend that your not willing to felt your hand even if they'll see through it most of the time.

bilbo-san 12-22-2006 02:16 AM

Hrmmm. I guess this hand is a lot more boring than I thought.

I pushed, expecting MP to fold and button to call.

Instead MP INSTA-CALLED and Button thought for quite a bit and folded AQ face-up (lol thinking-so-hard-about-folding-when-drawing-dead-aments).

MP showed the nuts (NOT SOOTED). But I make suck-out good on river with Ace, sexytime.

cs3 12-22-2006 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2) Given that I didn't, what's the best play now?

[/ QUOTE ]

still push.

you dont want to give one of these gusy a chance to fold if the board pairs or a 3 or 5 hits. and its live so AK calls you all the time.