Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   2nd pair, turned NFD ($100NLCASH Stars) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540003)

Alibut 11-06-2007 08:44 PM

2nd pair, turned NFD ($100NLCASH Stars)

Opponent was sitting waiting with $400 odd at Stars $100NL, so may be a regular. We were about even after 15".

Pre-flop he was raising/limping/folding his SB about a third of the time each.
He was continuation betting mostly but checking behind a bit.
He went for call down lines with TP a at least once in position. Generally if he called once, he didn't like folding.

He'd never 2-barrelled before, that is he'd always shutdown after I check-called/folded when I check-raised.

This was only the second time I'd 3-bet him (the first time he called then folded the flop).

Is a check-raise on the turn a no-brainer here? I was planning to fold the turn if I didn't improve and he bet again FWIW.

After he bet the turn I figured 2nd pair was not good and I had no fold equity. Even against such a passive opponent is that just stupid HU?

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 2 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

SB: $406.60
Hero (BB): $107.50

Pre-Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
<font color="red">SB raises to $3</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $14</font>, SB calls $11

Flop: ($28) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">SB bets $9</font>, Hero calls $9

Turn: ($46) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">SB bets $30</font>, Hero calls, folds, or raises?

jay_shark 11-06-2007 09:07 PM

Re: 2nd pair, turned NFD ($100NLCASH Stars)

Any specific reason why you checked the flop ?

Check calling such a small bet from him is a mistake . If he was on a draw , then you're actually giving him the right price to see a turn card .

Again , I'm not too sure why you're playing this hand so passively .

Alibut 11-06-2007 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Check calling such a small bet from him is a mistake . If he was on a draw , then you're actually giving him the right price to see a turn card .

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay,

Probably because I'm not very good at HU.

My thinking on the flop was something like:
- He may bet a worse hand if I check
- He may check an A and turn TP in which case I get his stack
- Most people give up on the turn after being called so I should have a better idea of where I am then, maybe value bet the river if he checks behind
- I suspect he's not calling with a worse hand if I bet the flop ... given his tightness pre-flop I don't think he has many 9s or draws

Does that make any sense? I mean I'm not very happy with how I played this hand (or HU in general)

jay_shark 11-06-2007 09:18 PM

The decision is to either call or shove . If you don't think you have any fold equity and that your second pair is certainly behind (not sure why you think this ) then go ahead and call .

You have at most 15 outs . You're being offered pot odds of (46+30) : 30 or ~ 2.53:1 and you have at most 15 outs . The probability you hit one of your outs on the river is close to 33% ; moreover , you have implied odds when you hit .

jay_shark 11-06-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay,

Probably because I'm not very good at HU.

My thinking on the flop was something like:
- He may bet a worse hand if I check
- He may check an A and turn TP in which case I get his stack
- Most people give up on the turn after being called so I should have a better idea of where I am then, maybe value bet the river if he checks behind
- I suspect he's not calling with a worse hand if I bet the flop ... given his tightness pre-flop I don't think he has many 9s or draws

Does that make any sense? I mean I'm not very happy with how I played this hand (or HU in general)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think your opponent will bet with worse hands when you check than had you bet , then why not go for a check-raise otf ?

It feels wrong to be check-calling a flop bet that is about one-third the pot size .

Alibut 11-06-2007 09:41 PM

Jay, so I understand what I should be doing... you're advocating betting the flop and...

- folding to a raise, or calling?
- carrying on betting if called, or shutting down?
- as played check-raise?

And is there any level of villain passivity that will change your line, if that makes any sense?

Thanks for the thoughts so far...

Alibut 11-06-2007 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think your opponent will bet with worse hands when you check than had you bet , then why not go for a check-raise otf ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, maybe this is just rubbish (particularly HU?), but I prefer check-call the flop, let the turn get checked through, and then try to get value on the river versus a passive opponent.

jay_shark 11-06-2007 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jay, so I understand what I should be doing... you're advocating betting the flop and...

- folding to a raise, or calling?
- carrying on betting if called, or shutting down?
- as played check-raise?

And is there any level of villain passivity that will change your line, if that makes any sense?

Thanks for the thoughts so far...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good questions .

Against an aggressive opponent , I would call a flop raise with middle pair top kicker . Against a tight post-flop player , I may surrender the pot if I believe his raise signals top pair or better .

If I had made a psb otf , then I may strongly consider check-calling the turn . Your hand is too strong to fold even if you're behind 100% of the time since you have plenty of outs .

MasterLJ 11-06-2007 10:20 PM

You have absolutely no FE here.

Given that he's never 2 barreled before, you are behind just about always here.

Fold.

creedofhubris 11-07-2007 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have absolutely no FE here.

Given that he's never 2 barreled before, you are behind just about always here.

Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

he picked up the nut flush draw on the turn, call &gt; fold

I agree with everyone else who says bet flop.