Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   QTs - dubious preflop call, but standard call bluff? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330275)

AKQJ10 02-12-2007 07:39 PM

QTs - dubious preflop call, but standard call bluff?

No reads on Villain. (My PT presently has nine hands on him, including both NL50 and NL25. Interesting.)

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $32.20
CO: $13.75
Button: $35.75
SB: $9.50
BB: $25

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, CO calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $2.25</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($5.6, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $2.25</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($10.1, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $1.75</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>....

I figure he's either got JJ-KK or is setting an extremely weird trap with AA, and I have good odds to find out.

corsakh 02-12-2007 07:45 PM

Re: QTs - dubious preflop call, but standard call bluff?

Ok, but question is, is he folding KK-JJ?

AKQJ10 02-12-2007 08:17 PM

Damn good question. I think at NL25 the unknowns start to tend toward weak-tightness rather than just throwing all the money in to see if their hand is good. The flop bet is a bit undersized, and the turn beat screams, "Please raise so I can know I'm beaten and fold." It's less in absolute terms on a pot that's twice as big! And of course it's a semibluff so even if I guess wrong, I have 5 outs to outdraw everything except AA, QQ, and TT.

I'm also open to the possibility that the flop call is too loose, but the turn raise is mandatory given the additional info of the bet size.

corsakh 02-12-2007 09:07 PM

I just don't think this is necessary to get involved in this sort of situations in micros, there are much better spots to take money and avoid tilt.

relayerdave 02-12-2007 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't think this is necessary to get involved in this sort of situations in micros, there are much better spots to take money and avoid tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. This FPS ain't gonna work here....

Hank Scorpio 02-12-2007 09:20 PM

You better hope villian is good.

corsakh 02-12-2007 09:23 PM

Whats FPS?

EMc 02-12-2007 10:50 PM

I dont mind this too much, but wouldnt make a habit out of it. I think it is good to occusionally try some new and unconvential things to help you progress further as a player.

dirtysanchez 02-12-2007 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats FPS?

[/ QUOTE ]

fancy play syndrome

and im not saying this play is good but saying "you can find better spots" is bad logic. if the play is +EV make it, if it isnt then dont. this is a cash game and we can take marginally +EV spots and still reload and take all future +EV spots as well.

That said this play is kinda meh and i wouldnt make it w/ no other significant reads besides your stats on him.

corsakh 02-12-2007 11:09 PM

Marginal EV+ spots are better to avoid due to two reasons:
1) limited bankroll;
2) emotional tendencies of human beings to tilt.