Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Hole in one (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390160)

DrVanNostrin 04-27-2007 10:11 PM

Hole in one

Post your hole in one story here:

DrVanNostrin 04-27-2007 10:13 PM

Re: Hole in one

I never made one, but have witnessed several, including one from a 12 year old playing behind me. This was his second career hole in one.

bonds 04-27-2007 10:17 PM

Witnessed three, never had one myself.

Hass 04-27-2007 10:39 PM

I've had 3.

First one was when I was 14 I was about a 6 to 10 handicap then. I always played with a doctor that was about 68 years old at the time. Ok so we have 140 yards or so, home course, 9 iron. The cup is cut right on a ridge so when I hit the shot I thought it lipped out and went over the green. I tossed my club in the bag and he says something like,
"How you get mad when it goes in"

"it didn't go in, it went over the green"

"no it didn't, it's in the cup"

"your telling me that your old eyes are better than mine" (I could say this cause we were very good friends)

"ok whatever"

So we go up to the green, I grab my wedge and putter and storm off to the back of the green. He walked straight up to the cup, pulls my ball out and says, "here, lets go to the next hole"

I was a little too shocked to really yell or jump or whatever, but I couldn't stop smiling.

So I go on to eagle the next hole which is a really short par 5. Too bad I made bogey on the first 3 holes or would have been one hell of a round for a 14 year old.

Second 2 were pretty boring though. They were both on the 7th hole where I work at now, same pin placement, same club (7 iron). The last one was with some members and I was the only one that could see far enough to watch it go in. I don't think they believed me till we walked up to the green, because I just said, "hey I made it" and didn't really get too excited.

niss 04-27-2007 10:52 PM

I have a somewhat funny story about mine.

I had been playing for about 2 years. 168 yd hole, #2 at Tanglewood in Tampa. I hit a 4-iron (these days I'd hit an 8!). I get the ace, we start screaming.

I proceed to get an 8 on the next hole, and probably an 8 on every ensuing hole, as at the time I was, suffice it to say, not very good, and I was in trouble on every hole.

Playing in the group ahead of us is a fivesome, including Billy Connors (former pitching coach for the Yankees, at the time in the Cubs system) and George Bamberger.

At the 9th, it starts to rain and we go into the halfway house. There's Billy and George, and we're all excited to talk to them. Bamberger wants nothing to do with anyone, but Connors is a great guy. He calls me over, and I'm all excited to talk to him, as I'm a big baseball guy. And he announces to the entire halfway house "you the guy that got the hole in one. I figured I better watch you and learn something. YOU'VE HIT EVERY [censored] TREE ON THE COURSE SINCE THEN."

Durs522 04-27-2007 11:17 PM

Witnessed my Dad get his only hole in one. It was on a local course that has a really short uphill par 3. Couldn't tell it went in because the green had some leaves on it. When we walked up to the green we couldn't find the ball, then we looked in the whole. Pretty cool.

SoloAJ 04-28-2007 12:24 AM

Two replies saying they had Hi1s. I guess someone didn't vote in the poll?

I haven't ever witnessed one or anything. But I haven't played much. I hope I get one someday. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

LimitGod 04-28-2007 12:35 AM

I've had a double eagle but sadly no Hole-in-One.

I'd trade the albatross for an ace.

jjlied 04-28-2007 01:38 AM

Closest is a full PW hole out for an eagle, and one lip out.

biakabutukafan 04-28-2007 02:00 AM

One of the first times I ever went golfing I got within six inches to a hole in one...got par.

ghostface 04-28-2007 02:03 AM

So many shots inside 6 inches, hit the base of the pin, or lip out. No ace, just lots of tap in eagles [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I've witnessed an unofficial hole in one on our par 4 290yd first hole with a 2 iron. Wasn't official cause it was his 2nd off the first tee.

SoloAJ 04-28-2007 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the first times I ever went golfing I got within six inches to a hole in one...got par.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should add I had this same experience the very first time I golfed. Though it was about 12 inches. Golf can be cruel.

Ron Burgundy 04-28-2007 02:52 AM

I was playing by myself at a 9-hole muni course about 5-6 years ago. After the first hole, I caught up to the group ahead of me, which was 4 orthodox Jewish guys who were TERRIBLE. I mean the least coordinated humans I had ever seen. And they were wearing the yamakas and dress shirts and pants with the little strings hanging down, whatever that's for. Possibly their first time on a golf course ever. Fortunately, they were nice and suggested I play through.

The 2nd hole was like 125 yards. I quickly dropped a ball on the tee, took out a 9-iron, and made a swipe at it.

Jew dudes: Oy! What a nice swing young man!

Me: thanks

me: uh... I think it went in

Jew dudes: what?

me: I mean I got a hole in one

Jew dudes: Oy! Nice shot!

me: thanks

They really weren't all that excited though. Either because they hadn't been playing golf long enough to realize the rarity of a hole in one, or because they just thought I was so good that it must not be a big deal to me.

westhoff 04-28-2007 05:31 AM

I have three, one with a really good story, the other two not so much.

First, home course growing up in Kansas, eight years ago, age 16. Nice 9-hole par 35 short course. Hole #7 110 yards, my nemesis hole. I hit a gap wedge that hits in the middle of the green, spins down the slope and goes in, sweet!!! We play another nine, get to hole 7, I grab my gap wedge, and proceed to chunk it about halfway there much to the delight of my playing partners. Another time I get to this hole having my best round ever. I birdied the first six holes, course record for nine is six under. Six or seven steps past the back edge of the green is a road/OB. I step up and hit the biggest blade of my life, clearing the road and going into the corn field behind it on the fly. My wedge toss was about ten yards short of the green. I hit my next shot to the front of the green, three-putt and put a lovely triple on my card after the six birdies. I par eight and birdie nine for 4-under 31 with a triplebogey.

Second, wedge at Stonebriar Fazio course #6 130 yards. (where I used to work, Frisco, TX) One bounce and in. No story with this one.

Most recent one, about three years ago on Stonebriar Fazio #15 155 yards. We played 36 that day, pretty windy day. We get to 15, nothing special happening, I grab my eight iron. Flag is middle-front guarded by a fairly deep bunker, probably 10-12 yards of green between the bunker and hole. Wind is left-to-right, slightly helping. I aim right at it thinking my little draw will keep it straight. It barely clears the bunker, takes one bounce, checks, and catches the top side of the hole and lips out finishing three inches away. Bummer. So we get to 15 on our second round and everything is the same. Wind, hole location, tee markers, etc. I find my divot from the first round and figure if I tee the ball up one inch to the right and make the same swing it should go in right? Well, that's what I did. One bounce, check, and in. Holy [censored]!!! I still can't believe it and most people don't believe me.

PM me anytime for advice and GO SUNS!!! (yes, I'm a suns fan living in Dallas)

Sluss 04-28-2007 07:57 AM

Never had one. I have hit the pin so many times I can't count and I have dropped balls that physics can't explain how they didn't go in. Once I was in a charity tournament where there was a car for a hole in one and a pot of gold for closest to the pin. We came to the hole which was our last (shotgun start)and there was only two people who had even hit the green all day. With about twenty people out there watching the guy at the tee told me that the pot of gold was going to the house. I looked at him smile and said "Not if I knock it in there."

Took an extra club than I normally take on that hole. Hit it perfect. Ball comes down in front of the hole bounces over the hole and spins back to the hole and stops right on the lip. The whole crowd went nuts. People were buying me drinks the rest of the night and I had won the money! It was pretty cool.

I've witnessed three holes in one. Not one from anybody who was even a decent player.

HDPM 04-28-2007 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I should add I had this same experience the very first time I golfed. Though it was about 12 inches. Golf can be cruel.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most nerve wracking putts I have had was on a very short par 4 at a short, tight little muni. The hole would probably be a par 3 now, because it si like 250-260. But it would be a very hard par 3 because of the bunkers and rough in front of the green and some water to the right. Anyway, on this little hole I find the opening in front of the green and a slope kicked the ball at the hole that was behind a bunker. I had about a foot. I really didn't want to miss a 1 foot eagle putt on a par 3 (even if it is an easy hole), and it was slick. I white knuckled it in fortunately. I don't remember if I used all the hole or not.

never made one. Have come close, flew one in that popped out once. I expect if I ever make one it will be on a poor shot that I complain about that bounces in or something.

pokerpansie 04-28-2007 10:33 AM

I used to coach the local high school golf team, and at a practice round for the state tournament i was playing with some of the kids. One of them hit it too about a foot and they were all excited. My turn to hit and the kid that hit it close asked "have you ever a had a one?", i responded by saying "no, but this is going to be a sweet first one". He said, "ya right, 100 bucks you can't get it inside me". Well, luckily his dad was walking along with us and i got paid, not to mention he took me out for a nice steak dinner that night as well, and i didn't have to buy one drink! That was 24 years after i started playing golf but i still have 6 more to get to tie my grandmother.

SoloAJ 04-28-2007 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but i still have 6 more to get to tie my grandmother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome if true.

Hey_Porter 04-28-2007 01:32 PM

I've had two. My first one was when I was 15, and could actually play. I was playing with two other friends, and aced a pretty difficult par three, with what was actually a good shot (I'd be pissed if I ever got a hole in one by bouncing it off a rake or something like that). Anyway, since I was young and was playing with friends who were young, I was paranoid no one would believe me, so I drove the cart to the guys on the next tee (who I knew) and made sure they verified it!

ghostface 04-28-2007 03:41 PM

The sad thing is that my first will go unwitnessed because I play a majority of my golf alone.

pokerpansie 04-28-2007 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but i still have 6 more to get to tie my grandmother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome if true.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, i have witnessed 4 of them.....all on the same hole. 17 at Quail Lodge in Carmel Valley, CA. She is no longer playing so i might have a chance in hell of catching her.....err, no way, just glad to have one.

tuq 04-28-2007 08:31 PM

I have a shitton of aces. Probably about a dozen. But that's not much of a brag because all but like four came at Presidio Hills, a little pitch-and-putt in old town San Diego, where I spent a lot of time preparing for the Junior World tournament. Those holes range from 50-150 yards, so they're not "full size" holes for the most part. However, all of those came when I was ten years old or younger, so they played longer for me.

The last one I had occurred like three years ago at Arizona Country Club. Hole was playing ~180 with a stiff breeze hurting from the left. The only reason I'm telling this is the events as they unfolded. I hit the shot - it was OK, but probably not my best swing of the day - and it tracked towards the back-right hole location. Then it disappeared. I turned to the member I was playing with and said "I think I made it". Being an unintentional wet blanket, he said "no I think it went off the back". So the cart path wraps around the back of the green and there is no ball to be seen, he puts the pieces together and literally sprints to the hole to find my ball there.

Karma bit him in the ass, though: we finish the round and he tells the pro about my ace. The pro says great, and asks if I want a plaque to commemorate the event. Why not? He then asks if I have the ball so they can mount it. I told him guy, I blew that ball onto 56th St. on the 18th tee, it's gonzo. Anyway, my buddy ended up getting billed $120 on his account for the plaque, exactly $120 more than he thought it would cost. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

DrVanNostrin 04-28-2007 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The pro says great, and asks if I want a plaque to commemorate the event. Why not? He then asks if I have the ball so they can mount it. I told him guy, I blew that ball onto 56th St. on the 18th tee, it's gonzo. Anyway, my buddy ended up getting billed $120 on his account for the plaque, exactly $120 more than he thought it would cost. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's weak on the club/pros part. My friend got one when we were in high school, the owner congratulated him and picked up the tab for the plaque. I always assumed this was standard. Is it?

WLVRYN 04-30-2007 02:49 AM

I have one ace, but it comes with an interesting twist.

#5 at Tijeras Creek in Orange County. It was playing about 150 that day. I was in my first year with my company and was playing with my boss and two clients, none of whom were very good golfers. The shot bounced once and dropped right into the cup.

The twist is on #15, a short par 4, I also dunked a sand wedge from about 100 yards. That was a crazy day, and my clients wouldnt stop talking about it the rest of the project.

ZBTHorton 04-30-2007 06:16 AM

I have two holes in one. 15 holes apart, on the same course, about 18 hours apart.

#1 was a 193 yard 6 iron. I hit a perfect little draw, it landed about 2 feet from the pin on the side of this hill and basically one hopped into the hole.

#2 was the next day, and was a 145 yard knock down 9 iron. I caught it a little thin, it landed on the front of the green and rolled about 8-10 feet. I had stopped watching it roll when one of the guys in my group told me it went in.

Big TR 04-30-2007 10:56 AM

I have one hole in one. I was playing with my dad, uncle and father-in-law. It was a 130 yd par 3, PW landed 20 feet past the hole and it backed up straight into the hole. It was cool, but I didn't get overly excited or anything.

The best part of the story is in the very next foursome, some guy makes a hole in one. Back to back groups with a hole in one. That guy went absolutely bonkers, whooping, carrying on, breaking out his cell phone to call people, etc. We were backed up on the par 5 that followed, so they ended up at the tee box with us. When we told him I just had one too, he went bonkers again.

True North 04-30-2007 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so we have 140 yards or so, home course, 9 iron. The cup is cut right on a ridge so when I hit the shot I thought it lipped out and went over the green. I tossed my club in the bag and he says something like,
"How you get mad when it goes in"

"it didn't go in, it went over the green"

"no it didn't, it's in the cup"

"your telling me that your old eyes are better than mine" (I could say this cause we were very good friends)

"ok whatever"

So we go up to the green, I grab my wedge and putter and storm off to the back of the green. He walked straight up to the cup, pulls my ball out and says, "here, lets go to the next hole"

I was a little too shocked to really yell or jump or whatever, but I couldn't stop smiling.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is essentially the story of my only one.

My wife and I honeymooned in the Maritimes, and while we were on Prince Edward Island, she went along with me as I golfed a couple of the resort courses. So I'm playing the 8th at The Links at Crowbush Cove, 160 yards into the wind. I hit one of my best 5-irons ever, but I lose it as it gets to the green. I can't see it at all on the green, so I assume it went over the back, which was pretty much a wasteland.

My wife gets all excited, and says, "Oh my God, it went in the hole!" and I, being pretty PO'ed that I probably just lost a ball on a par-3, snap at her, saying something to the effect that she must have been seeing things. Sure enough, though, we get to the green, I see the ball mark about three inches in front of the hole, and then I looked down in the hole and there was the ball. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

22pajo 04-30-2007 06:40 PM

Got one but never saw it drop.
Long par 3 water either side, undulating green.
Flag stick visible from tee box but not the cup. Hit a sweet 6 iron to the center of the green and the last i saw the ball was rolling toward the right hand side of the green. turned away happy that i had found the dance floor.
when i approached the green i saw that my ball was no where to be seen. thought "damn, its rolled into the lake". low and behold its at the bottom of the cup.
yipeee

AndysDaddy 04-30-2007 07:00 PM

Mine seems to follow a surprisingly common theme. In 95 I played in a tiny league at a dogshit course in Bellerica, MA. (They've since redesigned - it might be better now). We played the back nine every week (for some reason) from the tips because it was so short - 2000 yards, par 30. But, from the tips the fifth hole was a 219 yard par 3 with a trap protecting most of the front.

My ace was here. Hit a three wood, aiming at the safe part of the green on the far left. Got incredibly lucky with a slight draw (I'm a lefty) and big kick to the right in front of the green. The lay of green is such that the ball disappeared from sight soon after starting to roll towards the cup.

It seemed too hot to me, and I figured it to be well off the back. After the four of us looked over the back for a minute or so, I gave up and looked in the cup: And there it was.

wade17 05-01-2007 02:26 PM

i'm lucky if i get a hole in 5

Mens Rea 05-04-2007 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. And me too. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Shoot59 05-06-2007 06:49 PM

3 aces and 1 double eagle...I play lots though

21SuicideKing21 05-06-2007 08:03 PM

What about having one that hung on the lip? I've had two of those. Nothing feels better than that.

TxRedMan 05-06-2007 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Post your hole in one story here:

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was 10-11 yrs old I used to play in the summer NTPGA events. Fwiw, very fond memories, highly reccomend to any fathers out there.

Anyways, hole 10 on Tennison West (the old West course) par 5. Tee shot up hill, second shot down hill. When you're 10 you play the reds btw. Kid hits worm burner of a tee-shot to somewhere near the top of the hill. It's dry and it runs a good ways. Second shot he hits 3-wood maybe driver from the top of the hill and holes it, totally lucky/bad looking shot that just ran into the hole.

Never seen a hole in one, almost made two, but this shot was pretty sick as it's the only 2 i've seen on a par 5.

IndyGuy 05-07-2007 05:14 PM

135 yard pitching wedge on the 16th hole. I'd been hitting my wedges and 9-iron sweetly for a few weeks prior; they'd always go right on target but the distances were off until that moment.

I rarely drink while playing since I golfed for years before I started drinking and it just felt weird, but I was having a bad round and decided I'd drink on the back nine. I was quite buzzed when I hit the shot. I drink whenever the rest of my playing group is now.

IndyGuy 05-07-2007 05:20 PM

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere in this forum (didn't see it), but I found it interesting...

Summary: A woman who took up golf in 2003 has hit 8 holes-in-one in 14 weeks. Amazing.

From http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbc...=2007704280314
[ QUOTE ]

113,527,276,681,000,000 to 1

Those were the odds local golfer Jacqueline Gagne could make seven holes in one in 14 weeks. And then she made another ...

April 28, 2007
RANCHO MIRAGE - What are the odds?

If the chance of an average golfer making a hole in one in a round is about 5,000 to 1, what are the odds of that player making eight aces in 14 weeks?

"Until people started coming up to me and saying, 'This is kind of freaky,' I didn't really give it much thought," said Jacqueline Gagne, who has scored the eight holes in one between Jan. 23 and April 24, seven at her home club of Mission Hills Country Club and one at Mountain View Country Club in La Quinta.

Before she recorded her eighth this week, Professor Mike McJilton of the College of the Desert Math and Science Department calculate the odds of making seven aces in approximately 65 rounds (five rounds a week for 13 weeks) as Gagne did is just under 114 million billion to 1. As a decimal number, the chance of making the seven aces is 0.0000000000000000088.

"This is the wildest thing I have ever been witness to or been a party to," said Robert Barnes, director of golf at Mission Hills. "It's really unbelievable. It's almost like we have a ladies event now and you expect someone to come in and say Jackie had a hole in one and you'd just go, 'Which hole?'"

Gagne has gone from a true beginner in 2003 when she moved to the desert from Rhode Island to a player who just shot her career round of 3-under 69. That round included a hole in one, a 135-yard ace with a 13-wood on the 11th hole of the Pete Dye Challenge Course. In May, her handicap will drop to 7, meaning she's likely to break 80 on most regulation courses.

(Continued)

[/ QUOTE ]

nyc999 05-07-2007 06:39 PM

My closest is about 2 feet from the pin on a 180 yd. hole.

I once went golfing with a friend...the final hole was a par-3 where you hit onto an island, with the hole about 150 yds out. He hits the first shot in the water, tees up again, and sinks the shot for par. Stupid #@!% technicalities...

Soya 05-08-2007 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. And me too. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me three, but I don't think I would trade. I figure if I play this game long enough I will get an ace, but there is pretty much no chance in hell that I will have another albatross.

joker122 05-08-2007 12:05 AM

got two.

1 was 175 yds, front pin, 6 iron at my home course in virginia, mt vernon cc.

second one was in south carolina at the Chateau Elon, 210 middle pin 3 iron.

both happened in the same summer '02.

lippy 05-08-2007 12:18 AM

My friend lived on a very approachable, uphill dogleg left. The cup was usually placed so that you couldn't see the hole, but the pin.

On boring days during the summer we'd sit on his deck and watch people golf. If anyone hit it within 10 feet of the pin, one of us would run out and throw it in the hole.

We did this at least 30 times one summer and never got caught. In retrospect, it was a terrible thing to do, but hell, we were 12. We thought it was the funniest thing ever.

I wonder if people in the club house started talking about all the holes in one on 14. I'm sure they did.

Ahh good memories.