Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Pizza Delivery Tip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=288575)

challenger84 12-22-2006 01:35 PM

Re: How to order and pay for a pizza.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're paying for the overhead of delivering a pizza. I read an article where a guy who runs a small pizza place calculated the cost of delivery in 1991 as $3.00 per delivery. This includes insurance, advertising, delivery bags, warmers, pay rate for drivers, rate for the person cashing out drivers and sending them on their next deliveries, software for delivery, etc.

Pizza Hut doesn't pay their driver the entire charge. The rate drivers are reimbursed depends on location and gas prices. That reimbursement (note the word - reimbursement) compensates the driver for the wear and tear on their car. if you wonder what that's like, try driving your car 600 miles a week in traffic, stopping and starting 20+ times a day. See how often you're changing your oil, brakes, fixing minor things and see what your added cost of driving becomes.

I wonder if you apply the same logic to tipping servers in restaurants too. Yes, it's their job to do it, but if they're taking pride in their job and getting you your food when you don't feel like it, then you should show your appreciation and tip, otherwise, get off your lazy bum and get it yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's their job. If they don't like it, they can pick another route of employment. I do not own them any sympathy whatsoever. If Pizza Hut didn't charge me for the delivery, maybe it'd be another story.

Yeah, I know the drivers aren't getting profits or fat and rich off that 1.25. But the point is Pizza Hut is charging me it, and that's enough.

Restaurants charge you for the experience of sitting down in a comfortable setting and getting food served to you. ALL OF THAT IS A PART OF THE EXPERIENCE OF THE RESTAURANT AND HENCE WHY YOU ARE PAYING. You go there knowing you are paying more money for food you could get elsewhere, and you don't have to pay extra for the waitresses -- you're ALREADY paying that in the jacked up prices. If they do an EXTRAORDINARY job, which most waiters / waitresses don't come CLOSE to doing, I will give them a very hefty tip. If you beat around the bush and don't act like you WANT a tip, you don't GET a tip.

"Yes, it's their job to do it, but if they're taking pride in their job and getting you your food when you don't feel like it, then you should show your appreciation and tip, otherwise, get off your lazy bum and get it yourself."

Um, I'm already paying for them to go get my food. Too bad for them, they can pick another job. Should I tip the folks who work at the cash register? After all, they help me out by tallying up my total and greeting me and putting the food in my bags.

If I don't like their service, I don't tip them or go to another restaurant. Case closed.

[/ QUOTE ]

you sound like an awesome person to be around and i bet you have a lot of friends

RunDownHouse 12-22-2006 02:51 PM

Re: Pizza Delivery Tip

[ QUOTE ]
The store that I worked at charged a delivery charge. However, the drivers didn't receive one cent of that. If you are using that excuse not to tip well, then make sure the driverr actually gets the delivery charge.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd love suggestions on how to pay the delivery charge straight to the driver instead of the store, but somehow I think you didn't really mean that.

TheGrasshopper 12-22-2006 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The store that I worked at charged a delivery charge. However, the drivers didn't receive one cent of that. If you are using that excuse not to tip well, then make sure the driverr actually gets the delivery charge.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd love suggestions on how to pay the delivery charge straight to the driver instead of the store, but somehow I think you didn't really mean that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was pointing out that stores probably differentiate on how they distribute the delivery charge. Some stores probably give some money to the drivers, my store gave none.

With the current prices of gas I'm of the opinion that if you don't tip at least two bucks then you should pick it up.

Homer 12-22-2006 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of you guys are idiots. I worked pizza delivery for two years and can tell you that if you tip well you will get better service. We all know who tips and who doesn't. I would always go out of my way to help someone who tips well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You delivered pizzas. How can you go out of your way for someone who tips well?

[ QUOTE ]
We also have to pay for our gasoline as well. Give him the whole [censored] 20 bucks and quit being a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone tipped $4.50 for delivering a pizza, you'd be making way, way too much money.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that our problem? You're the driver. If you don't like the fact that you're not getting a piece of the delivery charge, get a job delivering pizzas somewhere else.

ScottieK 12-22-2006 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some of you guys are idiots. I worked pizza delivery for two years and can tell you that if you tip well you will get better service. We all know who tips and who doesn't. I would always go out of my way to help someone who tips well.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*snip*

My uncle used to deliver pizzas, and he got transferred to a store where he wasn't making a dime in tips. Then he figured out that the other drivers were hand-picking the pizzas for good tippers and giving those priority over other pizzas....and likewise, they were deliberately leaving pizzas for bad tippers that my uncle would have to deliver and get yelled at for it being late.

EDIT: This is an example of how a pizza delivery guy can go out of his way for someone who tips well...your pies get top priority on a very busy night.

FWIW, if you're gonna be a punk and try to nit-pick and power-trip over whether you should tip $2 or $3 or stiff drivers who may assume you're gonna give them a tip, you should probably just go pick the pizza up yourself.

ScottieK

Homer 12-22-2006 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
We also have to pay for our gasoline as well. Give him the whole [censored] 20 bucks and quit being a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone tipped $4.50 for delivering a pizza, you'd be making way, way too much money.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that our problem? You're the driver. If you don't like the fact that you're not getting a piece of the delivery charge, get a job delivering pizzas somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

My uncle used to deliver pizzas, and he got transferred to a store where he wasn't making a dime in tips. Then he figured out that the other drivers were hand-picking the pizzas for good tippers and giving those priority over other pizzas.

FWIW, if you're gonna be a punk and try to nit-pick and power-trip over whether you should tip $2 or $3 or stiff drivers who may assume you're gonna give them a tip, you should probably just go pick the pizza up yourself.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you quoted me accidentally since your post is unrelated?

gisb0rne 12-22-2006 05:32 PM

Re: How to order and pay for a pizza.

[ QUOTE ]

Use the same standards you would to tip a waitress as a driver. Remember they put a lot of wear and tear on their car, come out in the elements and bring you food that you didn't feel like cooking for yourself or going out to get. Show the love and compensate them accordingly. If the weather's bad, compensate them. And this means, get to the door immediately, don't make them stand outside and wait. If an order's over $10, $3 is minimum. If they have to go out of their way much, give more. If you live on the 10th floor with no elevator and get 3 bags of pizza and 4 2-liters, then you'd better be tipping 25% at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I used to deliver pizzas and your guidelines are way too high. Delivery drivers are not similar to waiters. The service isn't the same. The interaction isn't the same. The effort isn't the same.

gisb0rne 12-22-2006 05:39 PM

As a driver I used to always carry correct change including coins, and I always assumed that the customer wanted the full amount back if they didn't say anything. Drivers who try and scam the customer or who are unprepared annoy me, but I guess it's just the American way. Half-ass it and expect full compensation, because usually you can get away with it.

On the other hand I remember delivering to some guy who didn't apparently didn't speak english yet had miraculously managed to claim he had a coupon for a free pizza. He didn't have the coupon and I refused to give the pizzas to him. When I got back to the store the assistant manager told me to just deliver it again and I was like, screw that. I don't scam and I don't like getting scammed and I'm not about to deliver a pizza 2x to some jackass.

TheGrasshopper 12-22-2006 08:01 PM

'You delivered pizzas. How can you go out of your way for someone who tips well?'

If possible deliver their order first. Thats a big perk since people ordering are lazy and demanding instant gratification. Normally that could mean getting your food 15-30 minutes early depending on other factors. Free drinks, possibly some kind of discount if I took the order.

'If everyone tipped $4.50 for delivering a pizza, you'd be making way, way too much money.'

Have you looked at gas prices lately? 15 years ago, you'd be right. 4.50 at every house would be great but it is unrealistic. Personally,I expected 2 or 3 bucks at every house. More or less depending on the size of the order and the distance from the store.

'How is that our problem? You're the driver. If you don't like the fact that you're not getting a piece of the delivery charge, get a job delivering pizzas somewhere else.'

That's a valid point. The store I worked at had considerably higher volume than the competition and generally people overlooked the delivery charge and tipped well anyway.

I used to be a very mediocre tipper, but a little experience always changes your point of view.

Vyse 12-23-2006 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Plus, if the food is late its almost certainly not the delivery guys fault. Traffic can be bad, the store could be extremely busy etc. Bottom line the driver wants to get your food delivered ASAP because it means more business for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lmfao, I order pizza online from Pizza Hut every now and then. I highly doubt 1. People are seriously remembering me with all the orders they get, and 2. There is not enough turnover to make them remembering me for more than a couple of months feasible. No dice.

Pizza Hut is expensive as it is. 11-12 bucks for a pizza? Great pizza, but jesus christ. And I'm supposed to tip 2-3 bucks, too? When I'm getting the same food I'm getting otherwise? LMFAO.