Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Downswing Need Sanity Check from 2+2ers (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=513539)

jerryf1914 10-04-2007 04:36 PM

Re: Downswing Need Sanity Check from 2+2ers

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
to be fair, he's logged over 200K hands and has been winning at a reasonable rate.

Could he have won more? Perhaps. But his style has been working for him and probably are more appropriate for THOSE tables then people give credit for.

A lot of the reason we raise is to (1) build a pot (2) isolate/narrow the field (3) disguise our hands (4) buy the button (5) steal blinds, etc.

When the table is littered with calling stations, reasons (2), (3), (4) & (5) all disappear.

Also- when players are more likely to make HUGE mistakes postflop for large amounts of money, the more correct it is to see more flops cheap.

I agree that this isn't the best advice for a new player. But to discount that a loose passive style can't be a winning strategy is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree and disagree- it is true that 2-5 disappear at these micro-limits because a pfr is not respected. But I also see a lot of donks raising 1BB and reraising the min- grow some balls. My 4-6BB raises narrow the field to 1-2 dudes and my cbets (72%) of the time usually are good. If not, I fire on the turn and take it down.

Jerry is a Loose Passive donk who only plays post flop with good hands- I'd extract a lot of money from him preflop by making him pay to see and run when his donkishass hits it hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you even play 10nl bro?

RedSoxFan 10-04-2007 04:46 PM

No, not really, I just finished 15K hands at NL2 and moved up to NL5 (4k hands). I've played about 800 hands at NL10 and it's all the same passive bad players- just bigger stacks.

kurto 10-04-2007 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jerry is a Loose Passive donk who only plays post flop with good hands- I'd extract a lot of money from him preflop by making him pay to see and run when his donkishass hits it hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a good tag should seriously put the hurt on these players. I suspect that most people don't adjust well to judging hand strengths when they raise and 5 people still go to the flop.

I also think that raising the amount of your PFR probably helps.

I believe I said earlier that I doubted Jerry was correctly adjusting to table conditions... either tightening up, C-betting less and valuebetting more, raising for larger amounts pf, etc.

wslee00 10-04-2007 06:51 PM

Being loose passive pre-flop definitely has its merits, but a pfr% of 3 is just ridiculous. You should definitely be raising AT+/TT+ from all positions, and you need to raise BIG. 4xbb raises don't mean anything at 2NL, so what I started to do was raise about 10xbb.

I would definitely just flat call a lot more with hands like connectors (both suited/unsuited), Ax/Kx suited, etc.

I'll check my pt database tonight, but I think my stats for 2NL-5NL was like 35/10, which would be very fishy stats at 50NL, but probably optimal at 2-5NL.

yapee 10-05-2007 02:00 AM

I'd also like to add, that playing the 27/3 or whatever will teach you bad habits and be bad for your subsequent poker career.

hennnerz 10-05-2007 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my stats for 2NL-5NL was like 35/10, which would be very fishy stats at 50NL, but probably optimal at 2-5NL

[/ QUOTE ]

incorrect

Perk76 10-05-2007 10:28 AM

http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/304...6968495_rs.jpg

wslee00 10-05-2007 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my stats for 2NL-5NL was like 35/10, which would be very fishy stats at 50NL, but probably optimal at 2-5NL

[/ QUOTE ]

incorrect

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it, are you saying that it's not optimal at 2-5NL but optimal at other limits? why did you highlight that part? I actually looked it up last night, my stats at 2-5NL were about 30/13 making about 19PTBB/100 over ~10K hands.

AZplaya 10-05-2007 11:40 AM

I'm not gonna read this whole thing but I will say there is absolutly no reason at any level of NL poker you shouldn't be raising the top 10% of your hands. jerry if you tried to convince us that 26/10 was ideal for these games you might have an argument, but playing 27/3 at any level is highly exploitable and just lol in genera.