Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Let's clear "Aba Runs Good" rumors up. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=324181)

Orlando Salazar 02-05-2007 01:07 PM

Let\'s clear \"Aba Runs Good\" rumors up.

As an experiment. Let's consolidate our HH for him and check his PF equity vs expected pf equity and won at showdown vs expected won at sd. Only need hands where his hole cards are show OR his cards are shown AND an opponents are.

Ghazban 02-05-2007 01:15 PM

Re: Let\'s clear \"Aba Runs Good\" rumors up.

Let's not

Orlando Salazar 02-05-2007 01:20 PM

Ok, agreed. Gossip needs no clarification, just more juice.

fsuplayer 02-05-2007 01:51 PM

OP-

while he may indeed be up on equity on all ins, that alone doesnt tell the whole story at all.

example: its 3 handed, u open the button with QQ, i 3bet KK, u shove, i call and KK holds.

after that, 20 mins later, u open AK, i call in bb with 44. flop A47ssx, we get all in, ur drawing almost dead and i win. you didnt misplay one hand, yet you are down $100k+ in the highest games.

so thats at least two stacks+ i won, i should have won and didnt have to suck out.

that is a huge part of running good that often goes overlooked. if any nose bleed stakes player gets into the above situations more often than other players, they will have a huge edge already in EV.

my simplified rule of thumb is this: If i won the hand and stacked villian, but he wouldnt have stacked me, its good play. if i would have stacked off and lost with his cards in that situation, then it has nothing to do with me really, just a nice situation. running well means getting in more 'nice' situations that the other guy. and playing well sure helps too obv.

bap2086 02-05-2007 01:59 PM

i agree fsu

just getting action on big hands is a HUGE part of running good. just having the cards fall so u get coolers or setups that are hard for your opponent to fold.

TheFuGu 02-05-2007 02:02 PM

Fsu Player

This seems a very simplistic way to look at things. I think the difference between guys like aba is how they play the marginal hands not how they play in the big pots like your examples. Nice situations come up for them because of how well they play the other hands. In the long term everything breaks even right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

fsuplayer 02-05-2007 02:07 PM

simplistic?

i think just looking at the EV of his all ins is retardedly simplistic and doesnt take into the account the dozens of things that happen to make players 'run good' and 'run bad'.

Orlando Salazar 02-05-2007 02:07 PM

I like this response FSU and Arrested D was a kick ass show!

TheWorstPlayer 02-05-2007 02:10 PM

Yup, this whole game is around 'reciprocity'. If my expected win was greater than others would have had, or my expected loss less, than I am beating the game. Results don't matter at all. I might go on a sick rush, but it's because I'm flopping 100 sets against overpairs. That's not beating the game. Similarly, I might lose 100 stacks, but if it's always heads up KK v AA, that doesn't matter either.

Taylor Caby 02-05-2007 03:22 PM

the way to clear up this "rumor" would be to let him play many hundreds of thousands of hands (which if it hasn't already happened, will in the next 6-12 months) and see how much he wins. as fsu said, you can't just count equity in pots when all in, and it isn't also as simple as saying "well I wouldn't have stacked off there" because playing each player brings a whole new set of variables and it could be improper for you to stack off vs him when it is very reasonable for him to stack off vs you (given images, stacks, history, specific player tendencies, etc.)

basically i'm trying to say it's really hard to figure out this answer. much easier to just say, play many hundreds of k's of hands and see if the guy wins money (which as an aside he will).

tc