Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Would it matter if..... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=346678)

AMT 03-04-2007 04:40 PM

Would it matter if.....

you were sitting in a 3 handed live cash game with 5,000 in front of each of the 3 of you. You are a regular and are deep rolled for 25/50nl. both of your opponents are reasonably knowledgeable about the game, however one of them is deep rolled and has a lot of money, and in conversation you learn that the other is playing with the last 5,000 to his name after a terrible run at 25/50. would you care who you stacked? would it matter to you in any way? would you say something? would you get up?

losingdonkey 03-04-2007 04:48 PM

Re: Would it matter if.....

Of course not

PantsOnFire 03-04-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course not

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement would apply to where I get my winnings. Long ago I decided that every poker player that laid cash on a poker table was an equal target regardless of his personal situaton. This includes my mother, a homeless man or Bill Gates.

I would however take into account the guy who has his entire bankroll on the table. He may play differently because of that and I would try to find ways to exploit this.

dopp16 03-04-2007 05:07 PM

It isnt your fault that he is an idiot. It would probably be a good thing for him to go broke, maybe he'd learn a valuable lesson

johnnyrocket 03-04-2007 10:02 PM

obviously dont care, dont sit if u dont want to stack players or play ur best, he=idiot if he didnt move down in stakes and is sitting at a table with his full roll. STACK HIM.

Bigka79 03-05-2007 03:25 PM

ill stack either of them gladly

Freelancer 03-05-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course not

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement would apply to where I get my winnings. Long ago I decided that every poker player that laid cash on a poker table was an equal target regardless of his personal situaton. This includes my mother, a homeless man or Bill Gates.

I would however take into account the guy who has his entire bankroll on the table. He may play differently because of that and I would try to find ways to exploit this.

[/ QUOTE ]

WhoIam 03-05-2007 06:31 PM

I'd prefer to get my money from the properly-rolled guy, but I'm not going to alter my play against the other guy at all. If the $5k guy was a friend or good acquaintance of mine, I might suggest he drop down or call it a night.

We all like to pretend that our opponents are playing either for fun or with money they can afford to lose, but we know this often isn't the case. At one of the few live games I went to in Pittsburgh, there's an incident that stood out. There was a middle-aged guy at the table who had obviously just blown most of his paycheck on the game. He casually checked his watch and said, "I was supposed to pick my daughter up ten minutes ago," then posted blinds for the next orbit. I found this disturbing, but it didn't stop me from checkraising him in order to add an extra bet to my stack.

KurtSF 03-05-2007 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the $5k guy was a friend or good acquaintance of mine, I might suggest he drop down or call it a night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'd suggest this anyway, even if he weren't a friend.

But I'll gladly take his stack if he's sitting at the table.

dankhank 03-05-2007 11:53 PM

by implication the properly rolled guy is the better player. i always prefer to win money from stronger players, since i am less likely to get parts of their roll in the future.