Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Smoked Meat (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=459895)

Klompy 07-24-2007 10:01 PM

Smoked Meat

I am now an owner of a smoker, and as far as I can tell so far it's the best thing I've ever owned in my entire life. I've only smoked 2 meats so far, but they've both been the best things I've ever eaten.

So far I've smoked a pork shoulder, and a pork loin. Tomorrow I plan on smoking a brisket if I can find one in town, but I'm getting close to the end of meats that I know can be smoked. After brisket I plan on doing ribs obv, and then I'm stuck on what else to do.

I'm convinced that smoking meat is the best thing ever, and I plan on cooking tons of food this way. I just hope that OOT can expand my horizon with smoked food and give me a wider menu.

Los Feliz Slim 07-24-2007 10:03 PM

Re: Smoked Meat

<font color="green"> ENVY ENVY ENVY ENVY </font>

Jasper109 07-24-2007 10:05 PM

Not really smoked meat, but I've eaten smoked eel a few times while visiting relatives in Eastern Europe.
Beyond amazingly good.

Klompy 07-24-2007 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="green"> ENVY ENVY ENVY ENVY </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I should have posted this in bbv as I know this is a huge brag.

Los Feliz Slim 07-24-2007 10:06 PM

Is it easy to use? Answer may determine nature of smoker purchasing in next 24 hours.

EDIT: Also please specify smoker used. This smoker from Costco looks pretty badass.

Klompy 07-24-2007 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it easy to use? Answer may determine nature of smoker purchasing in next 24 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one I have is really really easy to use. I actually got it for free, but all it involves is chopping up a little wood with a hatchet and putting it in the bottom, then fill the tub with water. Plug it in, then 6 hours later you have good food.

edit: don't know anything about gas smokers, I've only smoked food with large wood smokers, and now with this electric one.

Blarg 07-24-2007 10:09 PM

How about turkey? Salmon? Cuttlefish? Pigs feet? Ox tails?

Or really go for it and learn how to make your own sausages and smoke them. I always figured if I ever learned how to make homemade sausages and smoked them, I'd never have to wonder what to get anyone for christmas for the rest of my life.

Blarg 07-24-2007 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The one I have is really really easy to use. I actually got it for free, but all it involves is chopping up a little wood with a hatchet and putting it in the bottom, then fill the tub with water. Plug it in, then 6 hours later you have good food.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the folks the bullet-shaped one that is very popular around here, but I think they messed it up because they never told me how their projects came out even after I questioned 'em a bunch of times. They said it took a good bit of playing around with the meat, but I think my dad was just being a tard. He's the kind of guy who loves to open pots while they're cooking to look inside, and screw up their cooking time.

Klompy 07-24-2007 10:13 PM

blarg,

A turkey wont fit on the current smoker, but I have smoked turkey before with good results. Salmon is a good suggestion, and something i will have to try soon. WTF is OX tails?

Cubswin 07-24-2007 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Salmon is a good suggestion, and something i will have to try soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love smoked salmon but prefer smoked trout. Yum yum. I need to get me a smoker.