Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   $16s - 15/30, AKs flops flush draw against short stack (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=417801)

Kevin8423 06-02-2007 02:46 AM

$16s - 15/30, AKs flops flush draw against short stack

Is there a better way to play this?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1420)
UTG+1 (t1420)
MP1 (t1470)
MP2 (t1610)
MP3 (t1605)
CO (t1420)
Hero (t1465)
SB (t1590)
BB (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="red">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t120, CO calls t120

Flop: (t495) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t375</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to t780</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t1315 (All-in)</font>

Cameron McCown 06-02-2007 03:50 AM

Re: $16s - 15/30, AKs flops flush draw against short stack

I'm assuming that you are "hero" here. The initial raise wasn't bad, though a small pair had you beat. 5xBB isn't irrational for AKs. But when you bet the 375 and UTG 1 raises to 780, the correct thing to do here is call the 780. The reason is, while he doesn't have the nuts (he didn't go all-in on the raise), he definitely probably does have something at the $16 level, probably something like the AQo or A/8. Either way, he's willing to bet half his stack on it. You don't have ANYTHING, though, and so you should just call him. If the turn is not a diamond and he goes all-in, you do not have the pot-odds to call. It really becomes a game of pot-odds on the turn depending on his bet. If you do get the diamond, it almost always pays to "check" anyway. Slow-play the guy, and he'll usually go all-in. If not, call him all-in after the river assuming an unpaired board (full house possibility). You can take advantage of him maximally this way, you will be way up in the tournament.

I've worked my way up in P'Stars now, and this is just an idea, but it's an idea that works. Take your time, think about it carefully before you call, and if the bad beat comes...you HAVE to maintain your confidence. I hope this helps. Take care.

Cameron

AMT 06-02-2007 04:27 AM

Cameron,

With all do respect, everything you said is bad and/or wrong.

Also, just in case....nice gimmic account

Kevin8423 06-02-2007 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming that you are "hero" here. The initial raise wasn't bad, though a small pair had you beat. 5xBB isn't irrational for AKs. But when you bet the 375 and UTG 1 raises to 780, the correct thing to do here is call the 780. The reason is, while he doesn't have the nuts (he didn't go all-in on the raise), he definitely probably does have something at the $16 level, probably something like the AQo or A/8. Either way, he's willing to bet half his stack on it. You don't have ANYTHING, though, and so you should just call him. If the turn is not a diamond and he goes all-in, you do not have the pot-odds to call. It really becomes a game of pot-odds on the turn depending on his bet. If you do get the diamond, it almost always pays to "check" anyway. Slow-play the guy, and he'll usually go all-in. If not, call him all-in after the river assuming an unpaired board (full house possibility). You can take advantage of him maximally this way, you will be way up in the tournament.

I've worked my way up in P'Stars now, and this is just an idea, but it's an idea that works. Take your time, think about it carefully before you call, and if the bad beat comes...you HAVE to maintain your confidence. I hope this helps. Take care.

Cameron

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because some PP is slightly ahead of AKs, that is no reason to not raise, and 150 is fairly standard with 2 limpers in the pot.

There are only two ways to play this hand, either check/fold the flop or play it as I did. Calling the reraise to 780 is terrible, we cannot fold 535 (I think) that is left behind with this massive pot regardless of action on later streets, and getting it in now makes sure we get paid in full when we hit our draw.

Again I gotta say I really disagree with your "don't play without a made hand" mentality but would love to hear what others think.

Bavid Denyamine 06-02-2007 04:41 AM

What value do you lose by checking behind? I think it's an easy spot for a freecard, and just c/f the turn if you miss. As played, shoving is the only play. I'd never fold after getting 1/3 of my stack in already with this hand and just call/folding a blank turn is beyond terrible. Still though, I'd check behind.

tubasteve 06-02-2007 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Cameron

[/ QUOTE ]

jigga whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

JayTee 06-02-2007 05:21 AM

I guess your question is whether or not to Cbet in a 3 way pot. I always would here, but am definitely not sure that it is better than checking behind, as they are most likely going to check a big hand to let you bet. As played you probably don't have any FE and calling seems bad. Just treat his raise as a shove, you are getting like 1.7:1 w f/d and two overs so I definitely shove.

Bruut99 06-02-2007 06:00 AM

I would check for a free card here. But your line is not bad either. But i prefer checking.

hoyasaxa 06-02-2007 07:05 AM

I find in SNGs I play my draws a lot more passively than in a cash game. I like a check behind on the flop, turning a potential trapper into the trapee. Unless you have some kind of combo draw like if that board also had a 10 on it, I'm probably checking this flop. The reason is, I'm so agressive people CRAI me all the time, and I really dont want to get priced out.

Hamburglar 06-02-2007 07:45 AM

never check that flop! last thing you want to do is lose to pp 7s or some crap like that. if you're gona built a pot than you need to put your FE in higher gear.