Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   College Football Schedules 2008 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=556126)

orange 11-28-2007 01:44 AM

College Football Schedules 2008

As we wind down towards the end of the season (crazy one at that), lets take a look at some of the OOC games/important games next season-

2008 season-

-UF opens with Hawaii and then Miami the game after. While its not the Miami of old, UF/Miami is still a rivalry game. We also play FSU again. We also have LSU in the swamp, though not sure what it'll be like with all the changes/losses for LSU.

-USC has a very competitive schedule. They open with Virginia on Aug 30th, then play tOSU on the 13th of Sept at home. Should be a great game, both have been powerhouses the past few years, both recruit very well and both have bright futures in 2008.

I know that WVU plays Auburn as well. If White/Slaton are back (I doubt), it would be a great matchup.

These are all I know at the top of my head. Post some of your favorite team's scheduls next year, lets hear them.

lippy 11-28-2007 01:48 AM

Re: College Football Schedules 2008

Isn't Slaton's backup like the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Semtex 11-28-2007 01:49 AM

I'm pretty sure UCLA is going to play Tennessee and and Cal is going to play Michigan St these are two Pac 10 games off the top of my head

ClarkNasty 11-28-2007 01:49 AM

Who besides Florida projects to be top 5?

Semtex 11-28-2007 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing USC will seeing as how young they are. Another pac 10 game I forgot about is ASU Georgia which could be very interesting

orange 11-28-2007 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Slaton's backup like the greatest thing since sliced bread?

[/ QUOTE ]
Devine is sick good. I'm not really sure if he's as good as Slaton though.

Btw, I forgot to mention that Nebraska has VT at home next year, should be an interesting game.

orange 11-28-2007 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing USC will seeing as how young they are. Another pac 10 game I forgot about is ASU Georgia which could be very interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say USC is definitely a candidate. tOSU has to be considered as well, they are young? iirc? (Maybe a tOSU fan could chime in here, I thought that they were somewhat young, though I know their OL is somewhat experienced and older). I would also throw in KU (they are young) and maybe UGA, depending on how both teams finish this season.

JaredL 11-28-2007 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-UF opens with Hawaii

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish they did a neutral field thing in LA or something. Not going to happen obviously, but it would make it a lot more interesting. UF is obviously the better team but traveling 5000 miles to play in the Swamp has to move the line a lot of points. We're talking about 6 hours of time difference as well so if the game is at 4 in Florida that'll feel like 10 in the morning.

damaniac 11-28-2007 02:11 AM

Michigan: Toledo, Miami(OH), At Notre Dame, TBD. Puke. Remind me why we needed to add 30 years to the Notre Dame deal? If we're going with the 1 "power" 3 cupcakes route, we could at least vary the power school for variety's sake.

iron81 11-28-2007 02:14 AM

The VT Athletic director must be eating his Wheaties. He's got LSU this year, Nebraska next year and a home & home with OSU in a couple years.

orange 11-28-2007 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-UF opens with Hawaii

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish they did a neutral field thing in LA or something. Not going to happen obviously, but it would make it a lot more interesting. UF is obviously the better team but traveling 5000 miles to play in the Swamp has to move the line a lot of points. We're talking about 6 hours of time difference as well so if the game is at 4 in Florida that'll feel like 10 in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]
I somewhat agree here. I'm not sure that it'll be close anyhow as Brennan is gone next year. But yeah, the hour difference would level the playing field a bit.

ADLinden 11-28-2007 02:33 AM

If none of the juniors leave OSU will only be losing 2 starters going into next year. You can probably assume that a few will leave(Malcolm Jenkis and Lauranitis(althout he said like last year he was staying but you know that doesn't really mean anything.)

They will be def. in the top 5 imo, possibly a chance to be the number 1, who knows though.

That OSU-USC game is going to be huge. (I can't wait till '09 though when we get to play them at the shoe.)

LurchySoprano 11-28-2007 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cowherd was talking about this today and his impression was that USC, Ohio State, Georgia, and Florida would make up four of the top five teams.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that WVU plays Auburn as well. If White/Slaton are back (I doubt), it would be a great matchup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree that Slaton probably goes to the NFL draft (although his stock is down) but what gives you the impression that White won't stay? He seems far too raw to even consider going into the NFL right now.

orange 11-28-2007 03:03 AM

You could be right about White. Just seems all the hype to go early if you have hype surrounding you. If he performs well in a potential NC game, I wouldnt be surprised.

M2d 11-28-2007 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-UF opens with Hawaii

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I somewhat agree here. I'm not sure that it'll be close anyhow as Brennan is gone next year. But yeah, the hour difference would level the playing field a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graunke's pretty good as well, and they return two of their four stud recievers (assuming Bess doesn't declare this year). all of their running backs are back as well, which isn't as irrelevant as it sounds at first. a lot of their "running" plays go down in the books as passes because they're actually shovel passes and quick dumps to their backs. the few times they actually put the ball on the ground, they actually run very well. their three main rushers (pilares, wright-jackson and libre), who are all back next year, are averaging 5.8, 6.6 and 8.4 yards per carry respectively.

they probably won't threaten the BCS next year, but they won't be the pushovers that everyone thinks with Colt leaving.

ADLinden 11-28-2007 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

they probably won't threaten the BCS next year, but they won't be the pushovers that everyone thinks with Colt leaving.

[/ QUOTE ]

So they will be like Boise was this year.

Franchise 60 11-28-2007 03:11 AM

UGA is pretty young/loaded.

ADLinden 11-28-2007 03:18 AM

UGA/OSU Nat'l Champ. game next year. Book it.

orange 11-28-2007 03:21 AM

Next years UF/UGA could be a sick sick game. Both could very well be undefeated going into the game in November.

M2d 11-28-2007 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So they will be like Boise was this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe not as good results. their schedule next year is way tougher than BSU's this year. They have Florida, Oregon State, Weber State, Washington State and Cincinnati lined up next year (not the greatest BCS foes but only one 1AA patsie, and four BCS conference opponents.

LurchySoprano 11-28-2007 03:33 AM

Next year just seems like its setting up to be one of those years in college football. So many of the traditional powers were bringing in new players and next year those five star recruits will have another year of seasoning. The top 4 next year of Florida, Georgia, Ohio State, and USC all look sick on paper.

Austiger 11-28-2007 11:19 AM

2008 AUBURN FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Aug. 30 LOUISIANA-MONROE
Sept. 6 at West Virginia
Sept. 13 at Mississippi State
Sept. 20 LSU
Sept. 27 TENNESSEE
Oct. 4 at Vanderbilt
Oct. 11 ARKANSAS
Oct. 18 SOUTHERN MISS
Nov. 1 at Ole Miss
Nov. 8 TENNESSEE-MARTIN
Nov. 15 GEORGIA
Nov. 29 at Alabama

OPEN DATES: Oct. 25, Nov. 22

wh1t3bread 11-28-2007 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Michigan: Toledo, Miami(OH), At Notre Dame, TBD. Puke. Remind me why we needed to add 30 years to the Notre Dame deal? If we're going with the 1 "power" 3 cupcakes route, we could at least vary the power school for variety's sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they can add Appalachian State? That could be the power school you need.

wh1t3bread 11-28-2007 11:51 AM

Rutgers: North Carolina, @Navy, Army, Buffalo (or other MAC), TBD-FCS. Blah. When is this program going to step up?

In 2010 they start a 7 years series with Notre Dame, but at this point that's hardly something to brag about.

Bump_Bailey 11-28-2007 12:46 PM

Illinois v Mizzou in St. Louis 8/30 should be a good one, both teams could be preseason top 10 picks.

KUJustin 11-28-2007 01:00 PM

I'd be surprised if we get the respect, but if KU beats someone like a USC in their bowl game they could be top 5 next year. We return almost everyone, though we do lose Talib (meh), McClinton (this will hurt), and McAnderson (meh).

Also, MU should definitely be in the running for top 5-10 as well.

I agree with Bump, that should be quite a game in St. Louis.

TruFloridaGator 11-28-2007 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UGA/OSU Nat'l Champ. game next year. Book it.

[/ QUOTE ]

UGA has a super tough schedule but they are ridiculously talented. The SEC East is going to be sick.

Next year sets up even more so to have a team who doesn't win their conference championship be in the MNC. We could even see something crazy like UF/UGA MNC as a rematch game.

Your Mom 11-28-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The VT Athletic director must be eating his Wheaties. He's got LSU this year, Nebraska next year and a home & home with OSU in a couple years.

[/ QUOTE ]

He gets Nebraska at home in 09, I think. It's also a home and home.

Your Mom 11-28-2007 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2008 AUBURN FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Aug. 30 LOUISIANA-MONROE
Sept. 6 at West Virginia
Sept. 13 at Mississippi State
Sept. 20 LSU
Sept. 27 TENNESSEE
Oct. 4 at Vanderbilt
Oct. 11 ARKANSAS
Oct. 18 SOUTHERN MISS
Nov. 1 at Ole Miss
Nov. 8 TENNESSEE-MARTIN
Nov. 15 GEORGIA
Nov. 29 at Alabama

OPEN DATES: Oct. 25, Nov. 22

[/ QUOTE ]

Auburn/WV is a nice one.

Needle77 11-28-2007 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rutgers: North Carolina, @Navy, Army, Buffalo (or other MAC), TBD-FCS. Blah. When is this program going to step up?

In 2010 they start a 7 years series with Notre Dame, but at this point that's hardly something to brag about.

[/ QUOTE ]

From reading the ScarletNation message boards(this is my disclaimer because i get almost all my RU information from message boards) it seemed like ND was the only team willing to add RU to their schedule, and RU still had to make concessions(I think Rutgers only gets 2 home games out of the 7 game series).

Penn State was asked, as was BC, both backed out. Rutgers wanted to get Michigan State back on the schedule as well and that fell through. I wish Illinois stayed on the schedule now.

I think Navy is going to be on the schedule forever as they have built up a small rivalry and Army has been on the schedule for a while as well. Buffalo is the 2nd of a home and home(unless they back out then I believe its Temple) and then I've heard the FCS team is going to be Villanova again.

As much as I want to bitch about them not stepping up they aren't getting interest from any of the BCS conference teams outside of the bottom/middle tier ACC. Hopefully the AD can pull a game outta BC/UVa/Miami as I think they still have openings for 2009. Someone better in the know can confirm that.

Ballzack 11-28-2007 02:47 PM

LSU has to run the gauntlet again.

2008 Schedule

Sat, Aug 30 North Texas Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Sep 06 Troy Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Sep 13 TBD Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Sep 20 Auburn * at Auburn, Ala. (Jordan-Hare Stadium)

Sat, Sep 27 Mississippi State * Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Oct 11 Florida * at Gainesville, Fla. (Ben Hill Griffin Stadium)

Sat, Oct 18 South Carolina * at Columbia, S.C. (Williams-Brice Stadium)

Sat, Oct 25 Georgia * Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Nov 01 Tulane Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Nov 15 Alabama * Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Nov 22 Ole Miss * Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Nov 29 Arkansas *

5 SEC games in a row with no open date in sight against much improved competition. UF and UGA are loaded.

wh1t3bread 11-28-2007 03:04 PM

Needle,

You have heard more than I. Thanks for the post. Do these scheduling difficulties have anything to do with the relatively small capacity of the stadium?

I though the ND series was 3 home, 4 away. With the first 2 games away. Maybe I read that wrong.

It would be nice if they can start getting some OOC games scheduled with the Big East defectors. It would also be nice to get a Big-10 team back on the schedule as well. I don't mind seeing Navy on there. But I don't like when I see BOTH Navy and Army on the schedule.

I'm actually glad Rutgers is getting back to playing CAA (former A-10) teams for their FCS matchup. Playing Howard & Norfolk State out of the MEAC the last two years is an absolute joke. Villanova and 90% of the CAA squads are at least respectable.

T50_Omaha8 11-28-2007 03:05 PM

I haven't studied other teams' schedules closely, but I can't imagine anyone's schedule is harder than UGA's.

South Carolina, Arizona St, LSU, Kentucky, and Auburn away.

Bama, Tennessee, GaTech, and Vandy at home.

Oh yeah, and Florida.

Dudd 11-28-2007 03:10 PM

That's pretty tough. Washington has a tough schedule too, assuming ND bounces back somewhat. BYU, Oklahoma, ND, 9 Pac-10 games.

Needle77 11-28-2007 03:17 PM

white,

[ QUOTE ]
I though the ND series was 3 home, 4 away. With the first 2 games away. Maybe I read that wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, that was the concession. I remembered that when ND scheduled the game originally that something had to give and it was the away game then it became a home and home(with the first game being at ND).

The stadium size is a good point and the fact that the stadium is now getting upgraded and that wasn't known until I believe the end of last year then maybe someone will be willing to get a home and home in '09.

I also agree with Army on the schedule, the thing is I rather RU play 2 low FBS teams and 1 FCS and then have 1 game vs a middle tier BCS and then an elite OOC game. I just don't know when all this will happen. Oh and let's not kid ourselves to much with the ND series, by 2010 they could be a top program again and hopefully Rutgers continues to rise.

Let's just keep hoping Schiano keeps kids in state and doesn't let players like Jarret, Toal, and Moreno go out of state without even offering visits to them.

If nothing else my dad will get our season tickets back once the new seats go back up, gave them up in '03 after having them for 7 years, lol.

AngusThermopyle 11-28-2007 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5 SEC games in a row with no open date in sight against much improved competition. UF and UGA are loaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

wh1t3bread 11-28-2007 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The stadium size is a good point and the fact that the stadium is now getting upgraded and that wasn't known until I believe the end of last year then maybe someone will be willing to get a home and home in '09.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, I forgot the stadium upgrades are on the way soon. Maybe they could even try to schedule the home portion of any future game with a big time BCS conference opponent at the Meadowlands?

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and let's not kid ourselves to much with the ND series, by 2010 they could be a top program again and hopefully Rutgers continues to rise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notre Dame Nation & NBC can only hope.

[ QUOTE ]
If nothing else my dad will get our season tickets back once the new seats go back up, gave them up in '03 after having them for 7 years, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Ouch. Well at least he'll be getting them back soon.

bernie 11-28-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LSU has to run the gauntlet again.

2008 Schedule

Sat, Aug 30 North Texas Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Sep 06 Troy Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Sep 13 TBD Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Nov 01 Tulane Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Nov 15 Alabama * Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Nov 22 Ole Miss * Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)

Sat, Nov 29 Arkansas *

[/ QUOTE ]

and 3 absolute cupcakes and 1 cupcake to be determined later. Tough having those juggernauts on their schedule. Not to mention, only 3 away games. Maybe 4 w/ Ark.

Boy, that's blistering

b

bernie 11-28-2007 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-UF opens with Hawaii

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it'd be impressive if Florida travelled west at all.

b

orange 11-28-2007 04:23 PM

LSU's schedule is harder this year than next IMO.