Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Vegas Hand (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519017)

cgrohman 10-09-2007 10:51 AM

Vegas Hand

Just got back from Vegas. The 15-30 was quite juicy and featured some of the worst play I have ever seen. I am pretty sure I sat with one of you briefly. I also saw some guy throw his cards which hit David Sklansky's neck.

In generally I played wayyyyy to many hands pre-flop and only netted $300 profit for about 20 hours at the tables. That, and my ex-girlfriend is having sex with a 23 year old.

In addition, I have never been lectured more in my life on how I play bad at poker. Specifically, I got critcized for

a) Raising out of the BB after 3 people had called. Obviously always a bad play.

b) Calling with 96s and 47s in the SB getting about 10 to 1. (Both turned into full houses).

Anyway, I can't think of any really interesting hands to post except for maybe this one.

Villian is Peter. Asian regular with a hat. He doesn't play too bad IMO. HE views me as a tag and respects my play.

He opens in MP. I defend in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, he bets, I think about raising and just call.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I c/r in rythm and he thinks for an eternity about folding and just calls.

River is 10d [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I bet.

Later Peter told me I played this hand perfectly but I disagree.

Munchkin Mayor 10-09-2007 11:56 AM

Re: Vegas Hand

It seems really well played if you got him to lay down an overpair...more likely just a better Ace high, yes?

piggity 10-09-2007 12:19 PM

I personally don't like it that much. To me your post flop line doesn't seem consistent with a made hand. When you check/call the flop, then check/raise the turn, what are you representing? If you had a piece of that low flop (believable since you were BB), I'd expect you to play it faster on the flop, since you likely have a vulnerable hand vs. overcards. Then on the turn, what hands would you risk checking through (and missing value, maybe even giving a 6-outer a free river)?

Your hand smells like a semi-bluff, but then the diamonds did get there on the river. I don't know; I'd probably look you up with any pair or better. Also I kind of wish I could evaluate this hand without knowing your hole cards since I don't know to what extent I'm being biased a priori.

geormiet 10-09-2007 03:13 PM

perfectly played, he could fold a better hand when the flush scare hits

cgrohman 10-09-2007 03:26 PM

But what would you do with Ace high on the turn? I'm in the BB, I'm representing a big hand- namely a 4.

WMB 10-09-2007 06:24 PM

These semi bluff turn c-raises don't seem to work much anymore at the 15/20 level. Players are too aware. They work better at the 5/10 level against weak-tights and those "trying to play well".

A better line may be to c-raise the flop, check again on the turn with the intention of raising his bet again or taking the free card. Then lead out the river regardless.

DeathDonkey 10-09-2007 06:56 PM

I'd checkraise the flop just like I would with any pair or draw. Since you didn't I'd just check/call the turn and try to get there or maybe already be there and have the river go check/check. Sure he wins with better ace high but he very well may not fold that hand anyway. As played the river bet is a good one though, a scary card hit and vegas guys in particular can talk themselves into calling you down and then talk themselves out of it on the river.

-DeathDonkey

Anacardo 10-09-2007 10:12 PM

I do a fair bit of c/cing with lots of pairs/draws in the BB, with the intention of c/ring the turn, since I peel with a slightly embarrassingly large range in blind defense situations and c/f the turn often. To be fair that's online & shorthanded, where I can generally count on guys to fire twice with garbage. I would take the exact same line and FWIW think you played it well. c/c, c/c, c/f river isn't the worst line either, vs. a tight Vegas guy.

MitchL 10-10-2007 04:12 AM

I will say that I would get mighty suspicious if I were villain in this hand as to why you would not put action in on the flop, but wait until the turn on this drawy of a board. I guess you are trying to rep a 4? Well you would have to show it to me. This is mostly dependent on your blind defense history in this game.

HOWMANY 10-10-2007 04:14 AM

I can't remember the last time a tight player c/r me on the turn and he actually had something.