Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Screen Writers Guild Strike? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=537053)

mmbt0ne 11-07-2007 11:23 PM

Re: Screen Writers Guild Strike?

All,

I feel it is our duty to help late night programming get back on schedule. Maybe we can start a topical humor thread, which late night hosts can feel free to poach from?

"Did you hear about these contaminated toys from China? Apparently they have some chemicals in them that can turn into the date-rape drug if ingested. Yeah, some celebrities are taking a real stand against it. In fact, Lindsay Lohan was seen walking out of Toys R Us earlier today with 3 shopping carts."

*cue goofy smile*

eviljeff 11-07-2007 11:29 PM

I understand that the overall gripe is that they are getting screwed by "new media," but I don't see the specifics. How are the writers being shafted and what do they want?

cobrakai111 11-08-2007 12:12 AM

Maybe this is a dumb question but will there be "scab" writers? Would any shows go that route?

Blarg 11-08-2007 12:21 AM

They want to preserve their intellectual property rights, which includes the right to profit from their creations, in the media they write for. It makes no sense for them to get paid for their intellectual property rights sometimes, but not others. Owners want them to be construed as service providers who provide a service and then are gone. However, that is the definition of what a writer does, and how intellectual property rights work, that is the one seeking to reconstrue established understanding and precedent.

The writers have given a pass to getting a boost in their cut of DVD sales to, I think it was 5 to 8 cents per DVD, up from I think it was 4 cents. They are very concerned about the future of the media moving into downloadable shows, which at present both pay them nothing and don't have shipping or media costs to cut into profits either. It's the wave of an extremely lucrative future that they see coming and in which they presently have no part despite established conceptions of intellectual property law.

Sickboy 11-08-2007 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that the overall gripe is that they are getting screwed by "new media," but I don't see the specifics. How are the writers being shafted and what do they want?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are writer and your movie sells a dvd u get a piece of it..well a tiny tiny one anyways.

If it sells on the net...itunes etc. You don't get [censored].

Wires 11-08-2007 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a video with some of the staff from The Office. It explains how the writers are not adequately compensated for writing that is determined to be promotional - in this case they are talking about the webisodes that were created for the nbc.com site.

Link [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pineapple888 11-08-2007 03:14 AM

I don't know why I am bothering, but here goes...

Unfortunately, the writers get only a tiny piece of every DVD sold.
Fortunately, that adds up to tens of millions of dollars per year in passive income.
Unfortunately, it could have been more, except for a deal made 20 years ago.
Fortunately, the writers can strike to ask for more.
Unfortunately, it will never, never, never, never work. That ship has sailed, and the current DVD rate is written into 1234871238947 business plans.

The only "real" issue here is how much writers will get for "New Media" (i.e., Internet) downloads. The writers don't want to repeat the mistake of 20 years ago and take a low number. The producers don't want to pay them much of anything ldo.

Hence, the strike.

pineapple888 11-08-2007 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this is a dumb question but will there be "scab" writers? Would any shows go that route?

[/ QUOTE ]

TV tried "scabs" 20 years ago during the last strike. They were awful. It is extremely difficult to replicate the knowledge and experience of a team of writers on a show.

Features are a much different animal. The need for "scabs" will be less in the near term because they have scripts stockpiled, and there's a much longer time lag than in TV, but if the strike drags on, there will definitely be feature writers crossing the picket lines. Not sure how it will all turn out.

It is by no means clear that the WGA should be representing both TV and feature writers.

pryor15 11-08-2007 09:42 AM

i find it interesting that Jimmy Kimmel might just wing it, sans writers. wouldn't that alienate his entire writing staff and, I dunno, have negative repercussions (sp?) long-term?

or is the thinking that by being the only one doing new shows for what could be a long time, he can cut into a large part of the Leno/Letterman/etc audience?

Blarg 11-08-2007 01:12 PM

I doubt he can win anyone over who doesn't already like him.

Thug Bubbles 11-08-2007 01:39 PM

Oddly appropos interview with Harlan Ellison.

Sickboy 11-08-2007 02:50 PM

this pretty much sums it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beMNe...a_strike_blog/

pryor15 11-08-2007 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt he can win anyone over who doesn't already like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's why it seems like a risky move. is it worth having your whole writing staff turn on you?

Blarg 11-08-2007 03:49 PM

He's probably contractually bound to show up every day, right?

Dominic 11-08-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's probably contractually bound to show up every day, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

well yeah...but he's also probably a member of the Writer's Guild

Tha Villain 11-08-2007 04:00 PM

There are pictures of Jimmy Kimmel on strike up at flickr, so apparently he's honoring the picket lines. Also, as stated, I believe he is a member of the WGA. As is Letterman, and I believe Leno.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2109/...8b9e390a_m.jpg

Tha Villain 11-08-2007 04:11 PM

Anyone have any idea what this strike means for those trying to break in as writers?

Obviously they can't submit material to companies the WGA is on strike against. And of course they can't "scab" or they'd be blacklisted by the WGA.

But what about submitting material to production companies that aren't on the WGA strike list? There are quite a few. Conceivably, they could submit work to those companies, correct.

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of doing this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

daveT 11-08-2007 04:25 PM

Those production companies are not on the WGA because they are non-legit. I already mentioned how you join the WGA.

Jimmy Kimmel got his start on public broadcast. Ad Libbing is not a form of copyright, nor is it written, thus he would be circumventing the WGA strike.

Dominic 11-08-2007 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those production companies are not on the WGA because they are non-legit. I already mentioned how you join the WGA.

Jimmy Kimmel got his start on public broadcast. Ad Libbing is not a form of copyright, nor is it written, thus he would be circumventing the WGA strike.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would find it very hard to believe that Jimmy Kimmel - who has written for all types of network shows - is not a member of the WGA, Dave.

I know how you become a member.

Tha Villain 11-08-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Non-legit?

Apatow Productions (Judd Apatow's company, responsible for Knocked Up, 40-Year-Old Virgin, etc.) is not on their list. Would his company be deemed not legit?

Robert Rodriguez company, Troublemaker Studios, isn't on the list. Dunno how legit he is though...

The Wayans Bros. company isn't on the list. Several other companies. I wouldn't say they aren't legit. Maybe independent, maybe some are low-budget, and indeed some may not be legit but there definitely are some "legit" companies there. I haven't gone down the entire list, but those are just two off the top of my head.

As for joining the WGA, there are a number of ways, all of which are listed on the WGA Website. There are actually quite a few ways to become a member, none of which are writing a script and paying a fee. You have to sell a written work to one of their signatory (legit) companies, then apply for membership and pay the fee.

pineapple888 11-08-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those production companies are not on the WGA because they are non-legit.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Some are perfectly legit. Some aren't.

No matter what, studios aren't going to listen to their pitches for quite a while yet (stockpiled scripts, no established writers available for rewrites), so the general consensus is that it's kinda pointless to be going out with a script for now.

But if the prodco is fully independent (it gets movies made outside the studio system), well, off you go.

The "blackballing" by the WGA is just about the most toothless thing imaginable for feature writers. You become "fi-core" which means you still have to pay dues, and you still get to work for WGA signatories, and you still get health and pension, but don't get to vote at meetings, or go see free movies at the guild. Big deal. Plus, as fi-core, you can still work for non-sigs if you want.

Tha Villain 11-08-2007 05:16 PM

So I guess the best thing for an aspiring writer to do would be stockpile their own scripts and wait for the strike to end (possibly months from now)? Then hope they get a break once all the established writers come back?

Sounds like I need to do find something else to try to do with my life lol.

Also, writer John August has some pretty good blog coverage from the front lines.

daveT 11-08-2007 05:26 PM

Okay, you guys exposed my ignorance.

Dom. I was not saying that Kimmel was not a member of the WGA, I was saying that Ad Libbing would not be considered writing.

Interesting anecdote. A professional writer in her 40s gives this speech:

She shows a picture of herself when she was twelve: "I have a few scripts that I wrote at this time of my life that aren't sold yet." Some of the audience laughs, the other half cringes.

Just saying, no rush to get it all out their now. More production companies would mean more opportunities. I am also aware that the companies that you listed are all pretty much locked with their own scripting. Apatow writes all of his own stuff with a tight-knit team. Rodriquez teams up with Tarantino, and the Wayan's Brothers writes things like "White Girls." All of these production companies where created for the purpose of promoting their own non-Hollywood works.

That is a way to get your own work out there: Create your own independent production company and forget about shopping around.

KilgoreTrout 11-08-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stockpile their own scripts

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're a WGA member, the union requires that you turn in all partials within 5 days of the start of the strike, regardless of who "owns" them. This is intended to assure members put in their 20 hours/week on the picket line and do not surreptitiously work on scripts. How it's enforceable is anyone's guess.

edit

it's part of the "Script Validation Program." Note that it covers spec work for existing struck shows as well as anything produced on spec within the past 6 months.

pineapple888 11-08-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're a WGA member, the union requires that you turn in all partials within 5 days of the start of the strike, regardless of who "owns" them. This is intended to assure members put in their 20 hours/week on the picket line and do not surreptitiously work on scripts. How it's enforceable is anyone's guess.

edit

it's part of the "Script Validation Program." Note that it covers spec work for existing struck shows as well as anything produced on spec within the past 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.) This program only covers work already submitted as a spec to a "struck company". I've seen nothing that penalizes WGA members for continuing to work on specs that haven't gone out yet.

2.) Dozens of writing deals closed just before the strike. According to one quote from a rep, these writers will not actually be writing during the strike, but will simply be "thinking really, really hard". [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Tha Villain 11-08-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, I'm not a WGA member, so "Pencils Down" doesn't apply to me. As I understand the rules, if a non-member does scab work or has contact with struck companies they could keep them from joining the guild.

My thought was that I could continue writing. I have 3 screenplays I beleive are ready to be submitted, and by the time the strike is over I could probably have 6 completed. All I'd be doing during that time is writing since I wouldn't be sending out the 3 I already have ready to go.

I like my chances sending out 6 screenplays rather than 3. The only thing is, I'd have to wait months until I could actually see any kind of appreciable result from any of my writing. I'm not friends with many people in the industry and no matter how many friends and family tell me they enjoyed what I wrote, it doesn't mean a thing.

Good thing I love writing. If I was doing it just for a paycheck I'd be in trouble right now lol.

However, I wasn't trying to hijack this thread, just looking for some insight. Thanks for those who had input.

pineapple888 11-08-2007 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, I'm not a WGA member, so "Pencils Down" doesn't apply to me. As I understand the rules, if a non-member does scab work or has contact with struck companies they could keep them from joining the guild.

My thought was that I could continue writing. I have 3 screenplays I beleive are ready to be submitted, and by the time the strike is over I could probably have 6 completed. All I'd be doing during that time is writing since I wouldn't be sending out the 3 I already have ready to go.

I like my chances sending out 6 screenplays rather than 3. The only thing is, I'd have to wait months until I could actually see any kind of appreciable result from any of my writing. I'm not friends with many people in the industry and no matter how many friends and family tell me they enjoyed what I wrote, it doesn't mean a thing.

Good thing I love writing. If I was doing it just for a paycheck I'd be in trouble right now lol.

However, I wasn't trying to hijack this thread, just looking for some insight. Thanks for those who had input.

[/ QUOTE ]

6>3 is a common misconception. Nobody ever says "send me your 6 scripts". They say "send me your best one", and if it's not outstanding, they never look at anything from you again.

What you need is 1. One amazing, flawless, pretty damn near perfect script. An "A" won't do it. You need to get an "A+". That's what it takes to break in. Then, ideally, you should have a second one ready as backup.

It's taken me over five years to get my two "A+" scripts ready. So thinking in terms of months is pretty short-sighted IMHO. Learn your craft. It's very, very, very hard.

CharlieDontSurf 11-08-2007 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you won't be sending out any scripts...your agent or manager will. And its doubtful that any of your scripts are submission ready unless someone within the industry has raved about one of them.

If u sell a script or anything that is non reality/animation while the strike is on u can pretty much just write off getting into the WGA. So basically don't do it.

If the strike goes long and ends in say Feb/March/April etc u won't have a much of a chance to make a sale cuz you'll be going up against specs from all the top writers in hollywood. Happened in 88 too.
All writers will be writing specs during their downtime even if they say they're not going to.

not sure about entering contests while a strike is going on

daveT 11-08-2007 06:17 PM

Charlie and Pineapple: I once volunteered at a pitch fest. Thoughts please?

jester710 11-08-2007 06:18 PM

For those who were curious about how this affects actors (which is pretty much all of you, because we all know actors are all that really matter anyway):

1. The unions have forbidden actors who write from writing during this time; however, they are free to act.

2. Actors are watching this strike with great interest because the SAG contract expires in June, and they want a piece of the new media pie too. This will affect the WGA strike, because the producers know whatever they give the writers will make the actors demand more.

3. Soon, instead of getting rejected at every audition, I simply won't be getting any more auditions. In other words, my rate of rejection is going to plummet. Hooray!

CharlieDontSurf 11-08-2007 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Charlie and Pineapple: I once volunteered at a pitch fest. Thoughts please?

[/ QUOTE ]

pitch fests are a waste of time...no one takes them seriously.
I went to one for my boss and heard so many godawful pitchs i wanted to kill myself

daveT 11-08-2007 06:28 PM

I got that impression. I was at the after party, and every one seemed pretty p.o.'d. I did get a nifty contact book for free. I used that information for other purposes though. To be honest, there was a few agents, but they were all start-ups, and didn't seem like they were going to last long.

The classes that I got for "free" were pretty bad as well. Professionals in the industry seem very closed lip about what would be significant.

I don't even think that the organizers did that well since that was the last year they did it.

ThaHero 11-08-2007 06:39 PM

I can't describe how jubilant I am that The Wire is finished. That would have been a tragedy. This whole ordeal is very disconcerting though. It's gonna make things infinitely harder for anyone just now trying to start out it seems. After the strike is over all the old, established writers will be starving for work and the producers will be starving for experienced writers, leaving the newcomers out in the cold. Someone tell me I'm wrong.

CharlieDontSurf 11-08-2007 06:54 PM

If your script is good its not going to be hard to get it into
the hands of an agent/his assistant.

99% scripts suck...its just how it is. There isn't this great wealth of amazing screenplays that are being overlooked.

Pitch fests/seminars/etc aren't really worth the money except for maybe making friends contacts etc.

Query letters almost never work.

Your best bet is to maybe find people on facebook/myspace that work at CAA/ICM/Endeavor/PARADIGM/WMA/etc etc..they will mainly be assistants. But all assistants want to be CE or agents so they are looking for that new talent/spec to get them there. They won't flat out say yes but if u bs them about saying moving to la and getting a job in the biz...the nice ones will respond. Chit chat with them blah blah blah
then the next week mail them a gift for taking the time to answer all your questions. It'll cost u $25-$50 depending on what u get them...but they will seriously [censored] remember it and you. Maybe just send $20 with a note saying "thanks for taking the time to give me advice...todays lunch is on me."

Then maybe a week or two later tell them you've been working on a script and u know they are very very busy but if they would look at it and just give u an honest opinion you'll give them $50/$100 for the trouble. Remind them that your not looking for kindness...you want brutal honest cold hearted truth. They may not even take the money.

And if they hate it then you know it sucks, if they think its ok maybe they'll give u a couple ideas about what your doing wrong, if its good. Its gonna end up on their bosses desk.

So make sure its good.

I once had a guy mail a script with my name on the envelope, not my bosses...he had called us and gotten my name from the receptionist. Atached to the script was a $50 bill and note saying "Your free to simply throw the script in the trash and keep the $50, but I get the feeling your a nice guy so if u have the time just take a glance at it." If you think its god awful thats fine. If you like it or you think its good then send me a email."

Normally I'd throw a random script we got in the trash or return to sender..especially if it is to my boss .

but i was like this dude is [censored] creative.

So i kept the $50 and read the script.
Wasn't good but it wasn't that bad and i emailed him telling that and I also included free coverage that I had our company do on it.

Had it been a good to really good script, that guy would have an agent right now guaranteed. So it cost him a couple a hundred bucks but he got his script into the hands of people who could actually start his career if his script was good.

Tha Villain 11-08-2007 07:06 PM

Okay, I REALLY didn't want to hijack this thread. Honestly.

I know the o/u for "breaking in" (whatever that means) is five years. I've been writing for two years. Have five screenplays written, three of which I think are good, with more to come.

Like I said, I can't say how good they are because it's my work. There are only two people (both friends) with any type of experience in Hollywood (very little) and they said my first screenplay, which I invariably think is trash, was good. So I took it to mean that their thoughts aren't worth a plugged nickel.

I know how hard screenwriting is. Heck, I've been perfecting my craft for two years. It's incredibly difficult. But, it's also about who you know. If you don't network in this town you'll never make it anywhere, even if you are the next (insert uber-popular writer/director/actor name here).

At least I know my screenplays have zero spelling/grammatical errors lol.

pineapple888 11-08-2007 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't describe how jubilant I am that The Wire is finished. That would have been a tragedy. This whole ordeal is very disconcerting though. It's gonna make things infinitely harder for anyone just now trying to start out it seems. After the strike is over all the old, established writers will be starving for work and the producers will be starving for experienced writers, leaving the newcomers out in the cold. Someone tell me I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, like I said, it all comes down to writing an amazing script anyway. The rest is just short-term fluctuation. There's always some reason it's a bad time to go out with a script.

Hey Villain... you're in LA and you don't know if your scripts are pro-quality? Join a writer's group FFS. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

CharlieDontSurf 11-08-2007 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I REALLY didn't want to hijack this thread. Honestly.

I know the o/u for "breaking in" (whatever that means) is five years. I've been writing for two years. Have five screenplays written, three of which I think are good, with more to come.

Like I said, I can't say how good they are because it's my work. There are only two people (both friends) with any type of experience in Hollywood (very little) and they said my first screenplay, which I invariably think is trash, was good. So I took it to mean that their thoughts aren't worth a plugged nickel.

I know how hard screenwriting is. Heck, I've been perfecting my craft for two years. It's incredibly difficult. But, it's also about who you know. If you don't network in this town you'll never make it anywhere, even if you are the next (insert uber-popular writer/director/actor name here).

At least I know my screenplays have zero spelling/grammatical errors lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

if yr script is really [censored] good u dont have to know anyone

daveT 11-08-2007 08:06 PM

Exactly, every one that makes a ton of money in this city came from some mid-west town, was broke, and made it without knowing anyone at first. One person I knew who complained the most about "not making it" was related to the Cappolas. I can't stand it when people say "it's not what you know, it's who you know." What a bunch of trash.

Tha Villain 11-08-2007 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Villain... you're in LA and you don't know if your scripts are pro-quality? Join a writer's group FFS. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno if I've just been gettin bad advice, but I've been told writers groups are a waste of time. Everyone has their own reasons, from the members being unskilled, people not taking it seriously, etc.

So I dunno. I might look into it. Or pay someone to do coverage. Which I've been told isn't the best way to go, but hey, it's better than nothing.

Also, I wish I knew the Coppola's lmao. I bet all of us do.

CharlieDontSurf 11-08-2007 09:28 PM

Don't pay to much(over $100) for coverage
hell i could probably get it for u for free

writer's groups can be good if you find a good one but that is easier said than done