Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   "The Prestige" wtf? (spoilers) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=241588)

Actual God 10-21-2006 04:31 AM

\"The Prestige\" wtf? (spoilers)

This is the thread for people who've seen the Prestige. If you haven't seen it and don't want the experience spoiled, bounce.

Okay. I give this movie a 6.5/10. If they cut 90% that "do you love me" [censored] I would have given it an 8. Pretty cool movie but wtf was the deal with the "there's still something you need to figure out" speech at the end. Gay. Also the death of Jackman's original wife and subsequent "I don't remember" defense don't make sense.

Holes? Theories?

Chris Daddy Cool 10-21-2006 04:33 AM

Re: \"The Prestige\" wtf? (spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]
Also the death of Jackman's original wife and subsequent "I don't remember" defense don't make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

the revelation at the end of the movie explains that pretty well imo.

Actual God 10-21-2006 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also the death of Jackman's original wife and subsequent "I don't remember" defense don't make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to elaborate? Why would either of the Christian Bales kill her in the first place?

CardSharpCook 10-21-2006 04:58 AM

Yeah, the last 4 sentences of the movie were a little off-putting. It was as if the movie makers were trying to say "we're better than you. You're all fish/noobs." Walking out of the movie and listening to my friends reaction to the movie and the bizarre speech at the end, it seemed like that speech killed for them what I thought was a pretty good movie.

Quite a disturbing movie too. Enjoyable.

Note: could we refer to the characters as Vergier/Danton and Morder/Professor instead of by their real names? Makes it confusing for noobs like me.

Dominic 10-21-2006 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to elaborate? Why would either of the Christian Bales kill her in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever Jackman asked Bale wht nkot he used, he was asking the twin that did was NOT there - so he really didn't know which knot was used.

Dominic 10-21-2006 10:24 AM

so am I the only one who realized the actor who played Tesla was David Bowie? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jihad 10-21-2006 10:31 AM

Yeah I thought that the end of the movie really summed everything up well. As another poster already mentioned, the twin that didn't know the knot was the one being asked. He was the more daring twin, the one that took the chances.

I think I woulda liked the whole movie a LOT more if the Tesla guy wasn't involved. The ending just seemed like a really, really big cop out. The whole movie was based in reality, and showing the rather mundane truths behind each "amazing" trick, and then at the end its just like, "oh holy [censored] electricity was just invented and now hey Tesla make me a cloning machine, oh sweet yeah just like that ok I'll clone myself a bunch of times cya movie over."

My GF felt the same way, anybody else feel the "reality" of Jackman's trick was a cop out?

-Jihad

tdarko 10-21-2006 10:33 AM

Dom- No.

Actual God- I really liked this movie and I liked it b/c it tied together and everything fell into place so well. I also really liked the love story and other half of the movie that wasn't magic, the side that split the men in half and showed their inner turmoil. I was surprised at how much I liked this movie.

Jihad 10-21-2006 10:39 AM

Dom,

No, but I IMDb every movie I'm going to see if I'm particularly charged up by it, so I cheated.

All,

Christian Bale is freaking awesome. He rarely turns in a performance that's less than notably amazing. In my book Brad Pitt is still the master of always being in good movies and putting out great performances, but guys like Bale will keep me coming to almost any movie they're in.

bugstud 10-21-2006 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dom- No.

Actual God- I really liked this movie and I liked it b/c it tied together and everything fell into place so well. I also really liked the love story and other half of the movie that wasn't magic, the side that split the men in half and showed their inner turmoil. I was surprised at how much I liked this movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, I liked the character stuff, but the ending seemed so lame in comparison to the rest. I thought the sucker had hope until the ending.