Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   General Music Discussion Thread Vol. 2 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=509403)

Claunchy 09-25-2007 09:58 PM

General Music Discussion Thread Vol. 2

New thread per El D's request.

Some cool Texas music because Texas is awesome:

Ghostland Observatory - dancepunk duo from Austin. Saw them live and they were incredibly energetic and fun. I'd listen to Sad Sad City I guess.

Micah P. Hinson (not a legit MySpace page, but it does have a cool song on it so I posted it anyway) - folk/country singer-songwriter from Abilene who has a pretty cool bio (dated a model and got addicted to drugs before the age of 20).

Kimbell175113 09-25-2007 10:24 PM

Re: General Music Discussion Thread Vol. 2

Okay, I wasn't involved in the last thread, and I'm not as musically knowledgeable as you guys, but I do have the ability to throw links around.

A friend recently handed me a CD of a band from Muncie, Indiana, and I really liked it. The band is called Arrah and the Ferns, and here is their mySpace

http://www.myspace.com/arrahandtheferns

Kinda folky pop, but not really, I don't have the vocabulary to describe these things. The three songs available on the mySpace are all pretty good, and hey, maybe one of you guys'll like 'em.

MattSuspect 09-25-2007 10:35 PM

this is pretty good kimbell, thanks.

Kneel B4 Zod 09-25-2007 10:54 PM

if we're going real small, here is a cool group I randomly saw last year. they have this really cool sound, especially if you like strings. and an accordion!

The Young Republic
youtube

another

myspace

nuggetz87 09-26-2007 11:25 PM

finally a new one...i was sick of going through the old one and never posting/getting sick of reading it.

i like ghostland observatory ty claunchy.

now to contribute, hmm....

DC band: www.purevolume.com/olympia
not very indie but i still like them. sort of like the foo fighters but a little more emo.

ua1176 09-26-2007 11:48 PM

well....i hope im allowed to plug my band:

www.myspace.com/paperandsand

sort of a Police/Modest Mouse/Iron Maiden hybrid. hopefully some of you will enjoy. any comments would be much appreciated.

jon

Jack of Arcades 09-27-2007 11:46 AM

The new Iron and Wine (The Shepherd's Dog) is out. The myspace has all but one song.

http://www.myspace.com/ironandwine

"Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car" is a great song, and a pretty good intro to the whole album.

Thug Bubbles 09-27-2007 12:41 PM

edIT (I don't like the default track on his MySpace, so listen to "Crying Megamix" or "Battling Go-Go Yubari in Downtown LA") is a DJ/Producer who is part of The Glitch Mob, a crew of kids who are all quite talented and have a wide variety of music between them.

He has 2 CD' on iTunes ("Crying over Pros for No Reason", which down-tempo, and "Certified Air-Raid Material" which is more dance heavy). Very different style of music, but the more I listen to it the more I like it. Plus, it's just impressive how intricate the tracks are, even when I don't care for them.

STS9 (aka Sound Tribe Sector Nine) is a group out of Georgia that defies definition (listen to "Piano Noir", "Aimlessly" and "Circus"). Think Jazz-rock-electro funk-fusion. Very much jam band in the sense that even if you might not like their tracks on your iPod you'd still love them in concert. Plus, the concerts are great ways to get any drug you want (read: they have a huge hippy following).

wdogg40 09-27-2007 04:30 PM

I haven't seen these guys in either thread but I have totally been wearing out this disc. They were suppose to tour with the White Stripes before Meg bailed.

Cold War Kids
Cowards and Robbers Their Myspace page

ayten zuruck 09-27-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen these guys in either thread but I have totally been wearing out this disc. They were suppose to tour with the White Stripes before Meg bailed.

Cold War Kids

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the CD about a month ago, and wow it just keeps getting better. The whole thing sounds like a complete mess, but the energy and delivery make up for it more than enough and there is some pretty sweet lyrical content there as well. Stand out tracks are We Used To Vacation, Hang Me Out To Dry, Passing The Hat, Hospital Beds and Saint John imo. I can't wait to see these guys in Schorndorf on the 8th, it's gonna be quite a weekend. (Editors on the 7th and Bloc Party on the 11th as well [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img])

bustedchucks 09-27-2007 09:06 PM

I seen the Cold War Kids when they opened for Muse. I went into it knowing nothing and was fairly impressed.

I have an awesome weekend lined up: Okkervil River on friday and Magnolia Electric Co. on sat. I was introduced to Magnolia from the last Indie love-fest thread and i'm really digging them. So, good looking out edgd.

Also Blindside on tuesday at the knitting factory. Thier first album, Silence, is one of my favorite heavy albums, so i'm duly stoked. The only bad thing is that it is @ Knitting Factory. Don't get me wrong, I like the place, particularly the balcony, but I always seem to end up drunk and lost in soho whenever i go there.

hanimal 09-27-2007 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Cold War Kids

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, are the Kids amazing or what?
Such a great debut album.
Saw them twice this summer; once at Bonnaroo and once at Rock En Seine in Paris where they replaced the "fatigued" (overdosed) Amy Winhouse last minute.

Honestly, as much as their album is a triumph, I think their live show is what is getting them they're acclaim. They [censored] bring it every show for sure. I have not been this excited for a new rock band in ages. They are getting my hopes up.

Hospital Beds on Leno

Poofler 09-28-2007 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Cold War Kids

[/ QUOTE ]

Mentioned them briefly in the other thread. I hardly ever truly like anything the first time I listen to it. If I do, that's usually a sign it's a little too catchy and it tends to gets boring after repeated listens. I honestly loved the Cowards and Robbers album from the first listen, and don't like it any less dozens of times later. Pretty rare for me. Anyone see them at Lolla?

AceLuby 09-28-2007 11:23 AM

Mentioned in the other thread. Somehow Squirms got on Real World (even the band doesn't know how).

Squirms and Electric Shoes are my favs.

God Johnson on myspace

wdogg40 09-28-2007 11:27 AM

I only started listening to them because I saw they were opening for the White Stripes and I had never heard of them. I'm now pissed that the Stripes canceled so I don't get to see them live. Everyone's comments are really making me jealous now.

It's also rare for me to listen to something and really like it the more i listen to it. It's rare to be able to buy a cd and just let it play all the way through anymore.

SL__72 09-28-2007 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mentioned in the other thread. Somehow Squirms got on Real World (even the band doesn't know how).

Squirms and Electric Shoes are my favs.

God Johnson on myspace

[/ QUOTE ]

I really need to see them play... I live in the Twin Cities and I'm sure I would like them. Kind of sad that I never have actually.

lapoker17 09-28-2007 02:14 PM

was anyone ever into ben lee? a few years back i thought he was awesome - i just downloaded the new album and it's the biggest piece of crap i've ever heard.

hmohnphd 09-28-2007 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ghostland Observatory - dancepunk duo from Austin. Saw them live and they were incredibly energetic and fun. I'd listen to Sad Sad City I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah man, Ghostland Observatory rules. I saw them in Dallas at a packed House of Blues. This was a few weeks after seeing them at a tiny place in Atlanta where there literally couldn't have been more than 40 people in the room (kicked ass). They're getting pretty popular around here though.

The lead singer has got some sweet pop-and-lock dance moves. I'm pretty sure they got me pregnant.

Avalanche333 09-29-2007 12:29 AM

First couple of listens, I really like Iron and Wine's new disc. I've loved just about all his stuff, with In the Reins being my favorite.

On a non new music note, I've lately been listening to Elvis Costello for the first time, and loving it. So far just "My Aim is True" and "This Years Model," and their both great. I'm not sure how I've gone this far without ever hearing his stuff (with the exception of his SNL performance).

memento_mori 09-29-2007 12:24 PM

this might not really fit the indie-critera, but it's so great that I just have to share them with you.
I have been listening to the scottish rockband Biffy Clyro's fourth cd Puzzle for two weeks nonstop now, and I keep discovering new details every time I listen to it.

http://cdn.last.fm/coverart/300x300/3289400.jpg

Who's Got A Match?

Folding Stars

Their Myspace page

Claunchy 09-29-2007 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a non new music note, I've lately been listening to Elvis Costello for the first time, and loving it. So far just "My Aim is True" and "This Years Model," and their both great. I'm not sure how I've gone this far without ever hearing his stuff (with the exception of his SNL performance).

[/ QUOTE ]
Elvis Costello rules so hard. I was pretty much the same as you until like 6 months ago. Knew he was probably cool, but just never got around to listening.

I think Armed Forces is probably my favorite album, but This Year's Model is right up there.

Spellmen 09-29-2007 10:35 PM

The new Band of Horses is really good, officially comes out Oct 9th. I don't think I like it as much as Everything all the Time, but it's definitely not a disappointment. They were also great live, so try to catch them if you still can

http://www.myspace.com/bandofhorses

I can't remember if I mentioned Bear vs Shark in the last therad, but they are also really good, but sadly broken up. They are kind of rawer (actual word?) sound, but both of their albums rock. You can check out a few of their songs on myspace, www.myspace.com/bearvsshark

Xanta 09-30-2007 03:10 AM

Down With Webster is playing at a bar near campus the day after my 19th (Canada FTW) and I've heard pretty good things about them. Can anyone tell me a thing or two about their music?

youngmachetes 09-30-2007 03:55 AM

i saw bear vs shark live 2 years ago, they were pretty awesome. as far as what i'm listening to, here's some things:

shout out louds- "tonight i have to leave it." i haven't heard the whole album (their 2nd i believe), but i like this single.

kanye's new cd is good, although it's by far his worst.

the new tegan and sara is good, also.

if anyone likes the blood brothers, they have a new side project called jaguar love, the 4 tracks they have so far are pretty awesome.

youngmachetes 09-30-2007 04:10 AM

i just heard a new minus the bear song on tv, i liked menos el oso a lot, but i'm not sure how much i like this. the song is called "knights" if anyone hasn't heard it.

Claunchy 10-01-2007 01:59 AM

ZOMG! New Radiohead album In Rainbows comes out October 10th.

Pitchfork article.

GuyOnTilt 10-01-2007 05:44 AM

Can't stop listening to MIA.

Sidekick rings, what's up HOLLA!

SL__72 10-01-2007 10:59 AM

Can't wait.

Last night was LCD Soundsystem and Arcade Fire. I was definitely more excited about LCD going in, but both bands put on great shows. It seemed like every member of Arcade Fire made an appearance on stage with LCD at some point. A lot of idiots showed up halfway through or even after LCD's performance just wanting to see AF.

nath 10-05-2007 01:38 PM

just got the Black Lips' Good Bad Not Evil and Jens Lekman's Night Falls Over Kortedala and love love love both of them, loved both of them right away. Could both be top-5 on the year.

I mention this now because the Black Lips are playing here in Austin tonight, if anyone's around. I won't be going, because Sonic Youth / Meat Puppets is also tonight.

Also, I don't have any fully formed thoughts on Mobius Band's new album yet, but I like them, and I think they're playing here Monday.

Jack of Arcades 10-05-2007 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't stop listening to MIA.

Sidekick rings, what's up HOLLA!

[/ QUOTE ]

Text the address, I'll see ya LATA!

sixfour 10-05-2007 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't wait.

Last night was LCD Soundsystem and Arcade Fire. I was definitely more excited about LCD going in, but both bands put on great shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw LCD supporting Daft Punk in June (because I wanted to see the Klaxons but got confused as to who was playing where) and wasn't overly impressed. Maybe because everything I've ever seen live became instantly lame in comparison to Daft Punk, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them again.

Been listening to Peter Bjorn and John's album Writer's Block recently (while waiting for the new Radiohead stuff), is pretty good.

nath 10-06-2007 05:24 AM

the Black Lips are completely insane live.

Yes, I made it to both shows. It was awesome.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-08-2007 07:39 PM

saw The National Saturday night, they were great.

true story: before the show, my buddy introduced me to a couple of guys in the band. I told the singer some lame joke, and he repeated it on stage 10 minutes later!!

I captivated the guy who captivated a thousand guys. Can you believe that? A thousand guys.

nath 10-10-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw LCD supporting Daft Punk in June (because I wanted to see the Klaxons but got confused as to who was playing where) and wasn't overly impressed. Maybe because everything I've ever seen live became instantly lame in comparison to Daft Punk, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, maybe so. What kind of venue was it? I've seen LCD twice at festivals-- one on a large outdoor stage and one in a smaller tent with an accompanying light show and such. The latter blew away the former.

nath 10-10-2007 01:25 AM

Oh, and I opened this thread to re-emphasize how good the Jens Lekman album is. I think it's the best album of the year and maybe better than anything that came out last year. It could be my sensibilities, but I think, at worst, you will find it great.

basementproject 10-10-2007 01:38 AM

One word- Interpol.

Anybody heard? Anybody want to discuss the intricacies of Turn On The Bright Lights with me?

98% of all people who listen to this album report it changing their lives.

nath 10-10-2007 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One word- Interpol.

Anybody heard? Anybody want to discuss the intricacies of Turn On The Bright Lights with me?

98% of all people who listen to this album report it changing their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great album. It's also five years old. Their last two have been a slide towards mediocrity.

mmbt0ne 10-10-2007 02:17 AM

Ingrid Michaelson, ldo

basementproject 10-10-2007 02:23 AM

Completely agreed. Antics was horrid. OLTA seems like they wanted to slide back towards the feel of TOTBL, but just couldn't recreate it.

On the first album I know they did a large amount of the engineering/production themselves, and to me what is particularily striking about the album is not necessarily the songwriting, but the arrangements- the layers of sound created on this album are just insane. So many feelings and moments and places conveyed through the sound, it's just surreal. Literally. For the past five years it's been the only album I listen to daily.

I wish they'd ditch the new label, go back to Matador, and make another album completely their own. I'm not sure that they're capable of reproducing their first, but they could come close, if they all put their hearts into it- I know Carlos for one wants to put the 'Pol on hold to write movie soundtracks.

Anyway, everyone in this thread must hear the album! Turn on the Bright Lights by Interpol.

Poofler 10-10-2007 02:40 AM

Re: Interpol, I 837th TOTBL = one of the greatest albums of my generation, subsequent albums mediocre.

Anyone listening to In Rainbows? Not sure what the title is referencing, but it's kind of... happy? The standard moodyness seems gone. Overall liking it quite a lot.