Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   changed my mind about michael vick, slap on wrist only (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=493047)

PLOlover 09-03-2007 11:48 PM

changed my mind about michael vick, slap on wrist only

I think michael vick should get slap on wrist at most.

why?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04022007/new..._dan_mangan.htm

[ QUOTE ]
April 2, 2007 -- Judith Giuliani once demonstrated surgical products for a controversial medical-supply company that used dogs - which were later killed - in operations whose only purpose was to sell equipment to doctors, The Post has learned.

"It was a horribly cruel, outrageous program," Friends of Animals President Priscilla Feral said about the demonstrations of medical staplers on dogs conducted by U.S. Surgical Corp. employees during Giuliani's tenure there in the late 1970s.

Feral said U.S. Surgical's demonstrations on hundreds of dogs each year through the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s were done to boost sales, not for medical re search or testing.

[/ QUOTE ]

alternately I think these ceo's and workers should do jail time.
in the interest of the fair application of the law.

Scary_Tiger 09-04-2007 01:06 AM

Re: changed my mind about michael vick, slap on wrist only

Michael Vick was arrested for dogfighting and gambling, not poor treatment of dogs or whatever.

But yeah, none of these people should be punished. It's just dogs.

Copernicus 09-04-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think michael vick should get slap on wrist at most.

why?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04022007/new..._dan_mangan.htm

[ QUOTE ]
April 2, 2007 -- Judith Giuliani once demonstrated surgical products for a controversial medical-supply company that used dogs - which were later killed - in operations whose only purpose was to sell equipment to doctors, The Post has learned.

"It was a horribly cruel, outrageous program," Friends of Animals President Priscilla Feral said about the demonstrations of medical staplers on dogs conducted by U.S. Surgical Corp. employees during Giuliani's tenure there in the late 1970s.

Feral said U.S. Surgical's demonstrations on hundreds of dogs each year through the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s were done to boost sales, not for medical re search or testing.

[/ QUOTE ]

alternately I think these ceo's and workers should do jail time.
in the interest of the fair application of the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except what US Surgical did wasn't illegal.

PLOlover 09-04-2007 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's kinda my point. it doesn't seem fair that what they did/do is not illegal.

Copernicus 09-04-2007 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's kinda my point. it doesn't seem fair that what they did/do is not illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree, but you can't ignore one crime because someone else acted in a legal manner that you don't approve of.

Scary_Tiger 09-04-2007 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O GREAT GUYS MORE LAWS

Why should what they did be illegal? I don't see them infringing on anyone's rights.

PLOlover 09-04-2007 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should what they did be illegal? I don't see them infringing on anyone's rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's my point, any apology you make for the lab you can make for vick.

in my view the fact that the lab is licensed makes what they do even worse, kinda like nazi death camps are worse than a serial killer.

ZeroPointMachine 09-04-2007 03:29 AM

So, how do you suggest that vascular surgical staples are tested and demonstrated? How are surgeons supposed learn how to use them and gain confidence in them?

Dogs were anesthetized and operated on to demonstrate the staples. Arteries were cut and then stapled back together to show the effectiveness of the staples. Blood flow seems necessary for this. The dogs were euthanised after the procedure. I assume, because far more cuts/repairs were made than the dogs could feesibly heal from.

This was not some Mad Doctor, with a staple gun, stapling live dogs to the floor for his amusement.

This is not even close to the same thing as fighting/torturing dogs.

Copernicus 09-04-2007 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, how do you suggest that vascular surgical staples are tested and demonstrated? How are surgeons supposed learn how to use them and gain confidence in them?

Dogs were anesthetized and operated on to demonstrate the staples. Arteries were cut and then stapled back together to show the effectiveness of the staples. Blood flow seems necessary for this. The dogs were euthanised after the procedure. I assume, because far more cuts/repairs were made than the dogs could feesibly heal from.

This was not some Mad Doctor, with a staple gun, stapling live dogs to the floor for his amusement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont disagree that there is no moral equivalence between dog fighting and legitimate medical use, I would think that demonstrations could have been done on models of humans at least as effectively as live dogs

ZeroPointMachine 09-04-2007 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont disagree that there is no moral equivalence between dog fighting and legitimate medical use, I would think that demonstrations could have been done on models of humans at least as effectively as live dogs

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that given the cost of dragging dogs all over the country that if an equivalent option existed it would have been cheaper and the company would have selected it.