Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   looking to get a small house dog (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550918)

FieryJustice 11-20-2007 08:23 PM

looking to get a small house dog

So my girlfriend and I have decided to go get a small house dog to keep us company. The one major problem I had before went shopping around was that we are gone probably 4 months out of the year and would have to put the dog in some pet hotel, which we priced at around $25/day. Will this make the dog hate us?

Ok, we went to petland today and found a cool little yorkie, which we got out and looked at. We later found out if was $2500. Wtf. I am in the wrong busisness. Are these prices just guidelines that I can knock very dar if I say the right things? We also went to the pound and it seemed like most of the dogs were super loud and hated people.

Also, we dont really know what kind of dog to get. I have a small 800sq' condo, so there isnt a whole lot of running around room. I think we want to get some fort of miniature dog, as it will stay cute forever. I also want something that doesnt bark or shed too much.

So, what kind of dog should I get and where should I look to get it? Thanks a lot.

XXXNoahXXX 11-20-2007 08:26 PM

Re: looking to get a small house dog

wtf? you can't get a dog and then disappear for four months of the year. that would be so awful.

also $2500 initial price is outrageous, but you'll pay $3k just to warehouse it for a few months?

DO NOT GET A DOG. When you are ready for a dog, and settled down, go to a shelter and pick out one that needs a home. When I went there last there was like two yorkies, daschund, etc.

TomVeil 11-20-2007 08:27 PM

If you're gone that much, don't get a dog.

XXXNoahXXX 11-20-2007 08:27 PM

after rereading it seems like you are about ready for a stuffed animal.

NT! 11-20-2007 08:28 PM

small house dogs are basically genetic freaks that have no evolutionary purpose, they were bred so stuck up bitches from the upper east side can have someone to talk to when their relatives get sick of them. never buy a dog that can't win a fight against most rodents.

they are also mostly stupid and yappy and prone to weird illnesses because they have been inbred so much.

mbillie1 11-20-2007 08:29 PM

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/...97/Toy_Dog.jpg

IggyWH 11-20-2007 08:29 PM

Check out a local SPCA. It'll be just a couple hundred for a dog out the door and that money is put to good use.

I've always been a fan of Alaskan Huskies so I would get a Alaskan Klee Kai. They won't be cheap though.

DonkeyKongSr 11-20-2007 08:34 PM

A) Getting a dog together with any girl that you aren't married to is probably dumb
B) $2500 is outrageous for a dog
C) You are gone way too much for owning a dog
D) Yorkies are retarded purse dogs that no man should own

LockForward 11-20-2007 08:41 PM

Never ever buy a puppy from a pet store. They are usually supplied by puppy mills. Doesn't sound like you're a good candidate for a dog.

XXXNoahXXX 11-20-2007 08:43 PM

looking forward to OP ignoring everything we say and posting "Trip Report: Just bought a puppy!!!! (Now I'm off to Europe and it's off to the kennel)

James Boston 11-20-2007 08:45 PM

These rule

http://k43.pbase.com/v3/66/585266/1/...nTerrier14.jpg

BaldElephant 11-20-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one major problem I had before went shopping around was that we are gone probably 4 months out of the year and would have to put the dog in some pet hotel

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be a deal breaker for anyone. Don't get a dog unless you can take care of it nearly all the time. To do otherwise is just mean.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, we went to petland

[/ QUOTE ]

I am skeptical of these pet stores... I've heard lots of stories about them getting the dogs from puppy mills etc... Although, admittedly, I don't know if these kind of shenanigans still go on today, but I know that they used to just a few years back.

gobbomom 11-20-2007 08:54 PM

I was researching one of these for myself last weekend:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...shih-z-poo.jpg

non-shedding, non-barking, affectionate, $500

and their breed name is hilarious, imo: Shih-z-poo

BEP 11-20-2007 08:56 PM

Under the conditions described in the OP there is absolutely no way that you should get a dog.

NT! 11-20-2007 08:59 PM

of course gobbomom wants a rat dog, makes perfect sense

gobbomom 11-20-2007 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, I'd prefer to replace the German Shephard I had that died last year, NT! but I've moved since then and don't have much of a yard now.

dtemp 11-20-2007 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
never buy a dog that can't win a fight against most rodents.

[/ QUOTE ] Also, don't buy a dog that can be carried away by a hawk.

NT! 11-20-2007 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, I'd prefer to replace the German Shephard I had that died last year, NT! but I've moved since then and don't have much of a yard now.

[/ QUOTE ]

get a cat, or a medium sized mutt.

gobbomom 11-20-2007 09:26 PM

meh, Jimmy's going to get a corgi I think [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
and probably saddle me with it when he moves.

FieryJustice 11-20-2007 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

get a cat, or a medium sized mutt.

[/ QUOTE ]

are there good small sized cats that act like dogs?

mbillie1 11-20-2007 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cats are generally pretty small... and as long as you're affectionate to them early on (get them as kittens obviously) and don't hit them / ignore them, they'll be loyal and friendly and affectionate and such. I dunno about behaving like a dog... usually they're a bit more mellow, and a lot less work.

4 High 11-20-2007 09:30 PM

No Dog for you.

http://theducks.org/pictures/do-not-want-dog.jpg

TomVeil 11-20-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, how do you mean? You have a 800 sq ft condo. Are you taking your dog hunting with you? Are you teaching it to save your life? I don't think that you want a DOG that acts like a dog.

If you're talking about a small dog, a cat is better in almost every instance. And while I wouldn't say that you should leave your cat alone for 4 straight months, cats can go for a few days at a time unsupervised.

My advice if you REALLY want to get pets is to get two kittens. That way they keep themselves company when you're gone, and you can teach them whatever you like.

Dogs are MUCH higher maintainence, and to be honest it doesn't seem like you really have that much time to devote to it anyway.

mbillie1 11-20-2007 09:37 PM

everything TomVeil just said is correct, 2 kittens > 1 kitten/cat, since they're company for one another and they become better adjusted pets

bluef0x 11-20-2007 09:37 PM

My friend has a yorkie, he is retarded.
GF has a chihuahua, she is retarded.
GF has a pomeranian, he is OK.

Yorkie is just plain dumb. Chihuahua isn't trained, barks too much. Pomeranian was trained super fast and is really fun. Still, the dogs make the entire apartment smell and require a lot of attention. We had a cat but the liter box also made the whole apartment stink. We tried a billion different liter things from Petsmart.

I would strongly recommend to avoid purchasing a dog in a small apartment/condo. I would go back to having a cat over a dog if I could.

NT! 11-20-2007 09:42 PM

if you get a kitten and treat it affectionately it will be very friendly towards you and much easier to care for than a dumb [censored] yorkie.

what do you mean 'act like a dog'? go fetch? no. be friendly, sit in your lap, play with you? sure. cats are more independent than dogs, which to me is a good thing. some people think it prevents them from being affectionate or causes them to think they own the place; this only happens if you don't treat the cat properly.

MrTrik 11-20-2007 09:43 PM

Long time dog owner here. I agree with what others have said. If you're gone that much getting a dog is foolish and practically cruel. What were you thinking? Stop thinking and get a Tivo or something.

XXXNoahXXX 11-20-2007 09:44 PM

what does it matter how cats are?

you still can't stick a cat in a kennel for 4 months.

wait til your done traveling.

FieryJustice 11-20-2007 09:45 PM

dogs seem friendly, cats, not so much

mbillie1 11-20-2007 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally not the case, if you walked into my house and sat down my cat would be sitting in your lap nuzzling into your face in like 1-3 minutes. It's all about how you treat them when they're kittens.

TomVeil 11-20-2007 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% false. If you treat your cat(s) well while it's a kitten, it will be just as loving and loyal as a dog. I have two (Got them as kittens), and they are both very affectionate (although one is more skittish around new people). My friends who come over always marvel about how much LIKE dogs they are, but without walking them constantly, or listening to random barking in the middle of the night because your neighbor is coming home from the bar.

inside?? 11-20-2007 10:19 PM

Get a dog from the pound. When you are ready to go on vacation take him back. When you return get a new dog. Repeat.... Hell you're buying them a extra few months.

FieryJustice 11-20-2007 10:24 PM

just to clarify, I am gone for usually 1 month at a time 4 times per year, not 4 months at a time.

Keyser. 11-20-2007 10:27 PM

My mom has a papillon and it's the cutest/most fun dog I've ever seen. I actually enjoy going out of my way to visit home now just because I get to play with that dog. They have tons of energy and are always in a good playful mood.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/588...12060bgcz3.jpg

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/872...62060bgrw9.jpg

NT! 11-20-2007 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just to clarify, I am gone for usually 1 month at a time 4 times per year, not 4 months at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably worse than the four months / year, each time you disappear the dog is traumatized and has to adjust.

TomVeil 11-20-2007 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably worse than the four months / year, each time you disappear the dog is traumatized and has to adjust.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

My friend has the most annoying dog in the entire world. He's got seperation anxiety, and every single time she leaves the house you'd think that dog was going to die.

bwana devil 11-20-2007 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A) Getting a dog together with any girl that you aren't married to is probably dumb
B) $2500 is outrageous for a dog
C) You are gone way too much for owning a dog
D) Yorkies are retarded purse dogs that no man should own

[/ QUOTE ]

agree w/ all. add:

E) dont shop at petstores

TomVeil 11-20-2007 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another point for cats. When I leave for a long period of time, I simply have a friend check on them about 3 times a week. Make sure they have enough food/water for a few days (Since they won't over-eat themselves like dogs will), empty the litter box about once a week (Automatic Litter Machines are great), maybe use the laser pointer for some fun, and you're all set. No $25/day to take care of your pets. Also cats don't tend to get all traumaed up when you leave them for a decent amount of time.

XXXNoahXXX 11-20-2007 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We also went to the pound and it seemed like most of the dogs were super loud and hated people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because they are [censored] animals that spend 23 hours a day in their little pen.

The only reason the ones at the pet store don't is because they probably have doggy down syndrome from overbreeding and are sick and malnourished.

curtains 11-20-2007 11:17 PM

Don't get a dog. Get a cat. My cats are awesome!