Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Food Scale (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=441476)

Thremp 07-02-2007 08:03 PM

Food Scale

Anyone use one? Have thoughts about any?

thirddan 07-02-2007 08:39 PM

Re: Food Scale

i got one at target for about 5 bucks...its not digital...digital ones are more expensive and im not anal enough to actually measure my food down to the gram...if i get 25g of protein instead of 20g i think i'll live...

TimM 07-02-2007 08:40 PM

I just got one of these, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I will say it looks a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

Big Poppa Smurf 07-02-2007 09:54 PM

I imagine if you eat a lot of chicken/beef/meat products it will come in very handy so you can know how many ounces you are eating. Otherwise you can just use a measuring cup for all your food measuring needs.

Thremp 07-02-2007 10:38 PM

BPS,

Yeah, I eat a lot of raw meat on the grill... So I am kinda of confused as how much they all weigh etc.

1C5 07-02-2007 10:42 PM

I have one and use it sometimes. Get a digital one, they are pretty cheap.

Big Poppa Smurf 07-03-2007 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BPS,

Yeah, I eat a lot of raw meat on the grill... So I am kinda of confused as how much they all weigh etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know fitday has an option for grilled chicken that you can input in cups, but nothing for things like steak etc. I suppose you could eyeball it (3oz cooked is like a deck of cards) but getting a food scale would make life a lot easier.

Rootabager 07-03-2007 01:26 AM

How do you buy your meat? If I buy a pound of meat and there is 3/4 pieces in the package I can usually say this is half the package. half a pound.

chesspain 07-03-2007 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BPS,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a food scale, so here's what I do:

1) Pick up steak
2) Get on to bathroom scale
3) Note measurement
4) Toss steak onto bathroom counter
5) Renote measurement
6) Subtract #5 from #3
7) Mentally rehearse explaining how I got E Coli from my toothbrush [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

secretprankster 07-03-2007 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you buy your meat? If I buy a pound of meat and there is 3/4 pieces in the package I can usually say this is half the package. half a pound.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, what I do. Though lately I can either eyeball it or don't really care since it's just boiled chicken and you can eat lots of it.

Thremp 07-03-2007 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. Sometimes I buy larger cuts of meat and don't eat the whole thing etc. I just want to be able to get a better handle on the calories I consume each day.

A good example would be when I make kebabs. I'll take like 3 lbs of meat. Cut it into small squares, marinade, throw it on the grill. Eat some veggies and then eat meat until I no longer want too. How do I figure out what I just gorged myself on?

anklebreaker 07-03-2007 01:41 PM

Berardi recommends a salter nutrtion scale. It's supposed to be very accurate and comes preloaded with nutritional info database so you get the exact profile of the stuff you are weighing.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna buy one yet. Looking for the essentials first.

Reqtech 07-03-2007 11:27 PM

I have this scale: http://www.amazon.com/Salter-1004-11-Pou...9381&sr=8-3

I think it's great. Measuring cups are good for liquids and such, but if you want accurate measures of foodstuffs, weight is the only way to go (are you really getting the same amount of blueberries in a cup?).

The two features I like:
1) easy switch from metric and imperial (i find metric easier to work with).

2) Zero out. If you have a bowl with multiple ingredients, after you are finished adding the first (or second, or third, etc) you press the button to zero out the scale to make it easier to measure the next item. No more silly maths.

turnipmonster 07-05-2007 04:26 PM

I have one and use it all the time, very useful for recipes that are by weight rather than volume (many european recipes and everything in "the professional chef") and for baking.

digital scales are cheap and small