Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Poker V Chess (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=445040)

zasterguava 07-07-2007 01:26 PM

Re: Poker V Chess

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chess requires no luck whatsoever. A 100% skill game.

edit: man my join date looks cool! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your definition of 100% skill may be wrong. I have beaten very good players and lost to very bad players, but that doesn't make me more skilled than the good players or less skilled than the bad players.

I think there are less elements of variance, but there is still variance in chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, infinite seperate no. of monkeys will eventally beat a grandmaster to give the most extreme example

flavio321 07-07-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chess requires no luck whatsoever. A 100% skill game.

edit: man my join date looks cool! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

skill game might be correct. chess is a game of complete information opposite of poker is a game of incomplete information.

I think your definition of 100% skill may be wrong. I have beaten very good players and lost to very bad players, but that doesn't make me more skilled than the good players or less skilled than the bad players.

I think there are less elements of variance, but there is still variance in chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Starfish 07-07-2007 10:21 PM

Superiority in top level chess isn't about physical abilities, but especially about remembering a large amount of games. That's what their preparation to championship matches is very much about. Memorizing the fn games.

If your memory is top notched, you might have a change. Otherwise, no way. (Memory helps in every mental activities in the long and short run, of course, so this shouldn't be surprising, but in top level chess it's emphasized. A good cardio is only extra.)

Disclaimer: there are different kinds of memorial abilities, and several of them can be utilized in learning whatever... demands in chess are somewhat different than in poker. Short term helps to figure out deep tactical patterns required in chess, etc.

Chesskid1 07-07-2007 10:27 PM

no money in chess, but it's still fun sometimes i suppose. chess just sucks at high levels, memorization, like said already, plus no money in chess. I remember reading articles, grandmasters quitting chess for poker (somewhere in pokerstarsblog)

Starfish 07-07-2007 11:28 PM

This is too interesting subject, that I've thought about too much to let you go that easy. I've, well, kind of read, that when you are not very experienced in chess, it's very good mental exercise (FU firefox spell checker, talking about some brain scan activity monitor readings or bs like that), but when you are adept, it's much more about automated moves. So as a mental practice GO should be much better at advanced level.

Anyway, poker requires many, many abilities very much different to chess, so most good chess players wouldn't probably excel in poker, but what would I know... So I welcome them etc... Some of them will probably do fine in this other form of waste of time.

jt082005 07-08-2007 02:23 AM

chess at low level just a random hardly ever play type game is fun...but once people get decent it is who can remember how to react better

acesfall 07-08-2007 02:54 AM

I used to play chess at a fairly high level when I was younger. Won state for my age a couple times, did well in a few national tournaments, etc etc not important. I played many many 6+ hour games and they kicked my ass way worse than any long poker session.

Dire 07-08-2007 03:01 AM

1. tehre be variance out the HIZZAH in chess espeiacaially in faster games. i more or less suck at the game but have beaten hundreds of GMs/IMs... am even like 13-2 aganistn a certain world junior champ GM in 5 0.

2. contentemporary slowc ehss chess has alot of memorziation.. buat at the same time, memorizaiton is just a small fascet of a complete player. I meanf put Kasparov vs any old 2400ish player in a random position. Kasparov isg gonna make the better mvoves. And KRAMNIK WILL PLAY LIKE A [censored] PUSSY IF YOU PUT HIM IN THAT POSITION BECAUSE HE'S SUCH A [censored] SICKLY LITTLE [censored]. oMGGM OGM GOM... I LOST BECAUS EI WAS SUCK... SICK WHATEVER. I SUCK AT LIFE BECAUSE I'M KRAMNIK. BOOO HOO I'M SUICK YET AGAIN. [censored] ME.

flyingmoose 07-08-2007 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. contentemporary slowc ehss chess has alot of memorziation.. buat at the same time, memorizaiton is just a small fascet of a complete player. I meanf put Kasparov vs any old 2400ish player in a random position. Kasparov isg gonna make the better mvoves. And KRAMNIK WILL PLAY LIKE A [censored] PUSSY IF YOU PUT HIM IN THAT POSITION BECAUSE HE'S SUCH A [censored] SICKLY LITTLE [censored]. oMGGM OGM GOM... I LOST BECAUS EI WAS SUCK... SICK WHATEVER. I SUCK AT LIFE BECAUSE I'M KRAMNIK. BOOO HOO I'M SUICK YET AGAIN. [censored] ME.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you drunk? High? Having angry makeup sex while simultaneously posting on twoplustwo? All of the above?

MicroBob 07-08-2007 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played many many 6+ hour games and they kicked my ass way worse than any long poker session.

[/ QUOTE ]

without a doubt.
I never played at a very high level but I have played some tournaments and my share of 6 hour games.

Really focusing on a tricky position or trying to find a way out of trouble and taking 20, 30 or even 40 minutes or more for a single move can really clobber you (yes Curtains, I read your bit about creating your own time-trouble).

I had one tournament where I gave every ounce of effort I had into each game.
I won my first 4 in a row which I had never done before.
Friday night, Saturday afternoon and evening, and then Sunday morning. All 4 of my matches took almost the full 6 hours (that was the maximum for this tournament).
I was the last game playing out of like 150 or so in 2 out of those 4 rounds.

By the end of that I was fried and felt like I could barely see.
I also had one more match to play to try to get into the money.
About $1.5k or so if I won. But I got clobbered because I flat-out couldn't do it anymore. I was totally spent.

4-1 in my class got me into an 8-way tie for 3rd or something so I got back $50 of the $130 entry-fee I paid.

Poker is nothing compared to the total exhaustion that comes from the concentration involved in competitive chess imo.
While the level I was playing at was pretty low I think my effort was extremely high. Pretty much my only chance of winning a lot of the time.