Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   XBOX 360 as a DVD player (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=264840)

edfurlong 11-20-2006 10:03 PM

XBOX 360 as a DVD player

So I have a big new TV, but no DVD player. Does the XBOX do as good of a job as a good dvd player? I'm totally clueless about this stuff. I'm guessing it won't play burned dvd's?

Thanir 11-20-2006 10:11 PM

Re: XBOX 360 as a DVD player

I use mine as a dvd player on my 32" lcd and I really have no issues. I've read that other ppl have had issues with the quality of the picture, but neither I nor my friends have had issues. In terms of burned dvds...I have played a lot of burned dvds on my player.

n.s. 11-20-2006 10:24 PM

I used my old Xbox and my PS2 as a DVD player, and it killed both of them. The DVD drive is the mostly likely part of the hardware to die (since it's the only moving part other than the hard-drive), so you really don't want to stress it too much (unless you've got a really good replacement plan). Considering that you can get a good DVD player for <$100, I think it's worth it just to prolong the life of your $400 console.

4 High 11-20-2006 10:47 PM

I used my PS2 as my only DVD player for the whole 6 years i had it and have never had any issues.

wonderwes 11-20-2006 10:49 PM

Any of these will work for a regular DVD player. I assume since its a bigger new TV its now an HDtv or is it still analog?

For analog tvs any xbox360/xbox/ps2/ps3 will work fine. If you have an HD then you either want the xbox360 HDDVD add on unit or a ps3. Oh yeah, and component video cables for the HD signal.

Thanir 11-20-2006 10:53 PM

Just because you have a HDTV you don't need to have a hddvd or a bluray. I would say most hdtv owners own neither, as most are waiting to find out how the format war works out...no one wants to get stuck with the betamax of dvds. Also most ppl are are not videophiles, and 480p is good enough.

edfurlong 11-20-2006 11:19 PM

Its an HDTV. I'm just looking for a good quality dvd signal. My old roommate used a ps2 as a dvd player forever, when he got a real dvd player the quality was noticeably better.

My last tv was about five years younger than me, so I suspect I'll be upgrading to HDDVD's or whatever in about five years.

wonderwes 11-21-2006 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My old roommate used a ps2 as a dvd player forever, when he got a real dvd player the quality was noticeably better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I assume netflix will rent blueray and HDdvds. What is likely what happened your roommate was playing DVDs on your ps2, but even though ps2 support games in progressive scan, I am betting it doesnt do it for DVD playback. When he switched to the other dvd player, it probably was progressive, so through your component video cables you got a display on the screen of 480p instead of 480i.

I am not sure if the new HD movies will be in 720 or 1080. Hope that info helps.

jzpiano 11-21-2006 03:35 AM

I used my XBox as a DVD player for 2 years. The drive burned out on me, I just replaced the DVD drive today actually, cost me $35 to do so, I figured a DVD player would cost around $50. Im hoping to get another 2 years [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edfurlong 11-21-2006 03:41 AM

Well I picked one up, cause hey, why not? DVD's look good (not as good as TV though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

The kid talking me into buying gears of war as well, that [censored] is sick.

n.s. 11-21-2006 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I picked one up, cause hey, why not? DVD's look good (not as good as TV though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of connection to the TV does it have (component, composite, s-video, etc...)? The reason I ask is that most people find that 480p DVDs played on an HDTV look almost as good as true HD content (especially if the TV and/or DVD player has a good upscaler). I didn't realize until recently that 480p is actually significantly more pixels than 480i (720x480, instead of 640x480). If you find that your DVDs look worse than *non-HD* TV channels, then something is definitely wrong.

edfurlong 11-21-2006 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of connection to the TV does it have (component, composite, s-video, etc...)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Roughly 75 component cable thingies. Okay maybe more like six, but whatever. I've thrown in a couple dvd's, and they look fine, but not as good as the HD feed from cable. My tv has 1080i, so thats what I set the xbox at, is that the way to go?

Thanir 11-21-2006 07:06 AM

Yeah if your tv is 1080i then that works. The reason your HD channels look better is because you are seeing those in 1080i. When watching a dvd you are getting 480p which is considered EDTV, not HD...I think ED is Enhanced Def. So HD channels are going to look better, but your dvds should look better than your normal digital cable channels (or sat).

nation 11-21-2006 08:30 AM

I haven't used my 360 in awhile, but I was using it recently and sounded pretty loud, which I didnt remember it doing before. Is it loud for others, or is it a problem that could be caused by nonuse?

EricW 11-21-2006 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't used my 360 in awhile, but I was using it recently and sounded pretty loud, which I didnt remember it doing before. Is it loud for others, or is it a problem that could be caused by nonuse?

[/ QUOTE ]

My brand new 360 is also pretty damn loud.

n.s. 11-21-2006 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of connection to the TV does it have (component, composite, s-video, etc...)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Roughly 75 component cable thingies. Okay maybe more like six, but whatever. I've thrown in a couple dvd's, and they look fine, but not as good as the HD feed from cable. My tv has 1080i, so thats what I set the xbox at, is that the way to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's 5 RCA cables (red, green, blue in one clump, then red and white in another) then that's component, which should look pretty damn good.

As to what resolution to use, this [censored] gets really complicated really fast - the reason is the up and down scaling. I've heard that some TVs actually support 1080i by scaling it down to 960x540 and then scaling back up, so you may actually find that it looks better to have the Xbox to 720p instead (you'll find that virtually no games will support 1080i natively, so all you are doing is letting your TV scale up the 720p signal, instead of using the XBox's internal scaler). I'd recommend just trying both and seeing which looks better.

Likewise with your DVD player. Some TVs have crappy up-scalers, so it's worth it to get an upscaling DVD player that will scale up the 480p image and send it to your TV closer to it's native resolution (either 720p or 1080i). Some of the nicer TVs have really good upscalers, so if your DVD player only outputs 480p then it's fine. I found that with my sony TV and sony DVD player, the quality is about the same whether I have the DVD player output 480p or 720p, but having the DVD output set to 720p gives a little bit less overscan (parts of the image that are lost because they are outside the screen).

Then, of course, you have to make sure that your widescreen settings are correct. If you are watching a non-widescreen DVD, but the TV (or DVD player) is strethching it to fill the screen (instead of the black bars on the sides), then it's gonna look real crappy.

I've found that the XBox dvd player looks as good as all but the best DVD players, so you could try watching movies on the xbox and see how they look - if it's substantially better than with your DVD player, then you'll know something is wrong.

this [censored] gets complicated, huh?

Hey_Porter 11-29-2006 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My brand new 360 is also pretty damn loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. My brother loaned me his 360 for a week, and the thing was loud as hell. Then I got one, and it doesn't seem to be half as loud (I barely notice it). Hmm.