Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bottom set river decision (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=556948)

HEK 11-29-2007 01:45 AM

Bottom set river decision

25/50 6max game

utg raises to $100, 4 callers including me on the button with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

FLOP ($500) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

checked around

TURN: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

checks to CO who bets $380, I raise to $1350. He thinks a long time and calls.

River ($3200) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks.

Effective stacks behind on the river are $3600

chio 11-29-2007 01:56 AM

Re: Bottom set river decision

check - his flush draw got there, straight draw missed, and I can't put him on any other hand that you beat that would call a large bet here (AK unlikely). if you do bet, I think you have to fold to c/r

99 or TT possible, but unlikely to call a decent size bet

TheWorstPlayer 11-29-2007 01:58 AM

agree i'd check here

ike 11-29-2007 02:12 AM

i'd shove. if you can't get paid off by worse here you should bluff more. i think he's a 1 pair or 2 pair hand way way way more often than he's a flush.

Xaston 11-29-2007 02:18 AM

I think it's slightly relevant who the other callers were pre flop. If one is UTG+1 for instance, we can loosen CO's pre flop calling range here.

If it was CO, you, and the two blinds, his range to see the flop is a bit different.

Maybe I'm being nitty?

DJ Sensei 11-29-2007 02:20 AM

check. few/no worse hands will pay you here unless they think you're crazy, and he's never folding a better one (which he has a fair amount of the time i think)

EmpireMaker2 11-29-2007 02:31 AM

I've never checked a set on the river with a backdoor flush coming but this might be a time that I do.

NLSoldier 11-29-2007 02:36 AM

read on villian?

chio 11-29-2007 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd shove. if you can't get paid off by worse here you should bluff more. i think he's a 1 pair or 2 pair hand way way way more often than he's a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

2pair is possible, but I think 2pair would have reraised turn once it was HU b/c of the draws out there, or if he didn't raise turn, now fold the river b/c the flush came. Both of these scenarios would advocate checking.

Plus remember how strong HEK looks here to villian.
He raised the turn into 3 opponents (an important observation here I think), and is now betting again when the backdoor flush hits. I think villian is unlikely to call 2pair or lower here.

So unless read on villian is that he will call light or that HEK has a laggy image, neither of which he mentioned, I still believe checking is the stronger play.

fsuplayer 11-29-2007 02:40 AM

i think chking is better too. i feel like i everytime i shove here, feeling smug, i get snap called by 33.