Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   IGN Top 100 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550866)

SharkTank43 11-29-2007 11:26 PM

Re: IGN Top 100

Oblivion?

chuckleslovakian 11-30-2007 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oblivion?

[/ QUOTE ]
no way

Jack Bando 11-30-2007 12:07 AM

Super Mario 64
Zelda OOT
Diablo 2
Tetris
A Link to the Past
Half Life 2
Civilization 2
GOW
Resident Evil 4
FF3

Here's my list. No way is TSB on the top 10, TB was somewhere in the 60-70's. But if it is, I might whip out some TSB action

chuckleslovakian 11-30-2007 12:11 AM

well TSB in the 2005 list was 24th. It seems odd they would drop it completely and include TB in the 60s. But it also seems like an odd choice for a top 10.. Thats why TSB got a ??? on myt predictions

jah7_fsu1 11-30-2007 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shadow of the Colossus is a huge stretch at #16. I mean I love the game and all but it is between Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Super Mario World. I know Shadow is pretty and all, but come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gross, can't believe the game is on the list, let alone at 16. It's pretty, but nowhere near a top videogame of all time if you can get over it's "artistic" appeal.

goofyballer 11-30-2007 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oblivion?

[/ QUOTE ]
no way

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it, it's absolutely [censored] ridic if The Elder Scrolls gets no love on this list. Pick a game in the series at random and it belongs in top 40 easily.

chuckleslovakian 11-30-2007 05:30 AM

Wow, just realized my predictions didnt include Super Mario Brothers. Throw out Tecmo Super Bowl from my predictions and you have the top 10

Corpsebean 11-30-2007 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oblivion?

[/ QUOTE ]
no way

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it, it's absolutely [censored] ridic if The Elder Scrolls gets no love on this list. Pick a game in the series at random and it belongs in top 40 easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree big time. I'm happy some of the classic rpgs made a decent showing but not having any Elder Scrolls is retarded.

bazooka87 11-30-2007 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Way too much love for Nintendo on this list, especially for the overrated SNES.

[/ QUOTE ]
No company comes close to Nintendo in terms of great games

BrookTrout 11-30-2007 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Super Mario 64
Zelda OOT
Diablo 2
Tetris
A Link to the Past
Half Life 2
Civilization 2
GOW
Resident Evil 4
FF3

Here's my list. No way is TSB on the top 10, TB was somewhere in the 60-70's. But if it is, I might whip out some TSB action

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget:

http://ict.paginablog.nl/ict/images/pacman.PNG

g-bebe 11-30-2007 01:09 PM

the more i read all these posts, the more i think how ridiculous these kinds of best-game-ever lists are. it's so insanely difficult to include every gem of the gaming industry ever made in a compact list of 100 titles. there are just too many omissions.

though it is fun to hypothesize about it. i guess.

fnord_too 11-30-2007 01:11 PM

Definitely civ2, definitely tetris (maybe number one even).

I would expect a console in there, like donkey kong if it isn't already (though tetris may fit this bill). Probably an early computer game like wizardry or ultima 3. Oh, or Zork, that one is kind of huge.

Diablo 2 is pretty definite too.

BrookTrout 11-30-2007 01:17 PM

The making of the lists isn't ridiculous - but any argument over them is definitely pointless... No one's ever going to be satisfied - I'm amazed that Speedball isn't on the list yet for instance - but they do offer a nice trip down memory lane for those who've spent far too much time playing video games. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JackWilson 11-30-2007 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, I really hoped that Pokemon Blue/Red would place better than 37, might be the greatest Gameboy game ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokemon RBY is OK, but that statement is lol-worthy.

30-21 is a bit odd, by their criteria SFII should be nowhere near that low, and they're using up too many of their "cult PC games that were great but nobody bought" selections here. Also nobody's going to remember KotoR in three years' time...

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain how Pokemon is not one of the top 3 Game Boy games of all time...

KOTOR is a bit high on the list but you're exaggeration is so much more lol-worthy.

Yeti 11-30-2007 06:15 PM

you have basically every other lucasarts adventure title in there yet no monkey island so i'm hoping it's in the top 10. same for quake. hl2 is a lock, i imagine.

<blink>I AM YETI THIS POST BROUGHT TO YOU BY YETI
Living, Learning, and Laughing.</blink>

goofyballer 11-30-2007 07:27 PM

Is RE4 really #10 material? I just played it on Wii and it was fun and engaging but by no means the greatest console experience I've had in awhile.

HL2: obviously overrated at #6.

No Elder Scrolls: diagf IGN plz.

Quake II was early in the list, right? And Quake didn't show up at all? Hrm, if they're only gonna use one game from the series then QII could have been higher considering it took the Halo of multiplayer games in the 90's and made it even more addicting.

Quake's multiplayer was fun but running through different flavors of slimy brown castles got old in the single player. I think QII's improvements to the single player game made it a lot better.

SharkTank43 11-30-2007 07:29 PM

I can't believe no Mortal Kombat made the list.

Jack of Arcades 11-30-2007 07:42 PM

Wow, what a terrible top 3

chuckleslovakian 11-30-2007 08:45 PM

eh so I was 9/10 on my guesses. I didnt think they would put FF3 top 10, though I am extremely glad they did since it is probably my favorite game of all time.

Chilltown 11-30-2007 09:24 PM

Obvious top ten but every game works. Sad Ocarina doesn't get number one because its my favorite game but its tough to make arguments with any of the top 5.

JuntMonkey 12-01-2007 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no Mortal Kombat made the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Level?

Macdaddy Warsaw 12-01-2007 01:10 AM

Somebody mentioned Star Control 2, which I haven't even played but know it's considered to be one of the best PC games ever, but I don't remember seeing it on the list. Was it there and I just missed it or is it some crazy oversight?

Thanir 12-01-2007 01:29 AM

Bummmed there was no Wing Commander/Privateer game in the list . Personally I think HL and HL2 should be switched around. Also surprised the Ultima series isn't higher. Also as having only owned a NES I'm surprised there were so many Nintendo system games in the top 20. I kind of expected Everquest to be on the list since it started the MMO genre, but I guess if WoW is so low on the list EQ doesn't make it.

TehVader 12-01-2007 04:24 AM

I can't belive Diablo 2 didn't make the list

Zimmer4141 12-01-2007 05:14 AM

I don't know, I understand that Tetris was a huge game, but I don't get how that was better than a lot of these games. No Diablo or Diablo II at all on the list is a travesty. It figures that Super Mario Bros. is #1, but I think that SMB 3 improved on SMB1 and that SMB64 blew by both of them in terms of innovation. No qualms with OOT, Civ II, or FFIII on the top 10. I agree with an earlier poster in that RE4 isn't exactly top 10 material. It was entertaining and engaging, but I can't see anything that set it apart from any other FPS, and anything that would make it the 2nd highest rated FPS of all time.

Suigin406 12-01-2007 05:18 AM

holy crap, vader, ur right about d2, bad exclusion imo as well...

just some notables that brought a smile to my face [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

86. perfect dark
64. TA
59. RA 1
50. SSB 1
47. God of War 1
39. SMB 3

chuckleslovakian 12-01-2007 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A number of factors were taken into consideration when selecting a winner: How good the game was compared to others of its time, its overall game design, how well it stands up over the years, how influential it has been in the realm of gaming and just plain how much fun we had playing it are all points for contention.

[/ QUOTE ]
Super Mario Brothers and Tetris rightfully destroy a lot of games when judged by this criteria

Zimmer4141 12-01-2007 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A number of factors were taken into consideration when selecting a winner: How good the game was compared to others of its time, its overall game design, how well it stands up over the years, how influential it has been in the realm of gaming and just plain how much fun we had playing it are all points for contention.

[/ QUOTE ]
Super Mario Brothers and Tetris rightfully destroy a lot of games when judged by this criteria

[/ QUOTE ]

I know and when based on their criteria they used for judging, I have no problem with those two as #1 and 2. However, I feel like that as games and systems evolve, there are better games that can replace those games as the best ever. So by my criteria, SMB and Tetris are still very good games, but not the two best ever. Honestly, Tetris was just a puzzle game that I'm pretty sure my buddy (Who is a computer Science major at UM) could make in not that long of a time. It was influential, but I feel like there are games that have passed it in terms of being the greatest ever.

SoloAJ 12-01-2007 01:09 PM

I don't want to necessarily search through the top 100 at this time, but was "Alone in the Dark" in there?

I am assuming not, but that game, as far as I know, was the first real survival horror game and at the time was pretty neat.

I guess my question is, if that game didn't spawn survival horror-a pretty popular genre-, what are we giving credit for doing so...Resident Evil?

g-bebe 12-01-2007 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't belive Diablo 2 didn't make the list

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, omissions like these make my head hurt

TehVader 12-01-2007 01:50 PM

I'm a sucker for SNES rpgs so I loved seeing Chrono Trigger and FFIII so high up, I still play CT to this day, I want to get all the 13 different endings LDO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Corpsebean 12-01-2007 02:00 PM

Don't know if Diablo II should have made the list, but Diablo I certainly should have.

AceLuby 12-01-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know if Diablo II should have made the list, but Diablo I certainly should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

W/ Diablo 1 nothing distinguished the types of characters. The different skills each possessed in D2 was so much better, and the addition of 2 more classes w/ the expansion plus being able to equip your mercenary made it even more addicting.

Jack Bando 12-01-2007 03:43 PM

ALone in the dark was on the list somewhere.

memento_mori 12-01-2007 04:53 PM

Wow no Diablo or Tekken [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

JuntMonkey 12-01-2007 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to necessarily search through the top 100 at this time, but was "Alone in the Dark" in there?

I am assuming not, but that game, as far as I know, was the first real survival horror game and at the time was pretty neat.

I guess my question is, if that game didn't spawn survival horror-a pretty popular genre-, what are we giving credit for doing so...Resident Evil?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was there and Resident Evil was a little bit higher. It's kind of like Doom and Wolfenstein 3D...Doom gets all the credit because it's so far superior and only came out a little while afterwards. However, Alone in the Dark wasn't the beginning of survival horror anyway, as they say in the write-up (it's in the 80s or 90s).

dibbs 12-01-2007 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have basically every other lucasarts adventure title in there yet no monkey island so i'm hoping it's in the top 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally spaced on this one, totally agree with this, if it didn't make it I'd be really surprised.

Awesomely annoying sig/jab at a certain poster btw [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

SoloAJ 12-01-2007 05:11 PM

I'll go look for ALone in the Dark to see the writeup.

Thanks guys.

Jack of Arcades 12-01-2007 06:10 PM

imo Tetris Attack &gt; Tetris.

Tetris Attack is so fun.

dibbs 12-01-2007 08:42 PM

Top 10 looked pretty much like people on here expected it seems. Civ 2, HL2, FF3, Zelda OOT and LTTP, SM63, Tetris and SMB.

Only one I pretty much beef with is Super Metroid at 7, and as much as I looooove RE4, think 10 is really high, but I think Im gonna replay that now that Im thinking about it, heh.