Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Executing Child Rapists (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547693)

JMAnon 11-16-2007 02:06 PM

Executing Child Rapists

TheCutter 11-16-2007 02:09 PM

Re: Executing Child Rapists

Personally I do not want to kill anyone. I wouldn't mind to see them executed by the government/justice system however, or by some random person who just doesn't like child rapists. Which do I vote?

FortunaMaximus 11-16-2007 02:13 PM

Yes by extension, I suppose.

I find such crimes despicable and would rather have a month with the individual. I'll happily spare the details. A child's innocence has high value in my personal morality.

jogsxyz 11-16-2007 02:23 PM

I also favor executing the rapist even when he's criminally insane.

bocablkr 11-16-2007 02:25 PM

Yes, but what is your point?

mickeyg13 11-16-2007 02:31 PM

I don't believe in the death penalty even for terrible, atrocious crimes. I once went to a presentation on the death penalty involving a couple whose child was murdered and a single father whose child was murdered. The couple was in favor of the death penalty, but their daughter was very much against it, so they asked that the killer not be given the death penalty, but I think their plea fell on deaf ears. The single father was I believe always against the death penalty, and he didn't even want it to be used on the murderer of his teenage son. In fact, this man had the courage to meet his son's killer, and he now believes the killer has truly repented. It was a very powerful presentation. Anyway I'm pretty sure I won't convince anyone here to change their mind, but I hate the death penalty (and I'm neither Democrat nor Republican FWIW).

JMAnon 11-16-2007 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but what is your point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have one; it is a poll to gauge sentiment.

FortunaMaximus 11-16-2007 02:53 PM

I voted no because:

While life has differing value, there is such a thing as individual redemption. Harming and executing such a criminal is not the answer, but breaking and perhaps reforming him psychologically is.

As such, this cannot be done yet, but should be considered.

If only because simply executing the individual does not repair the harm to the child. Imprisoning him does not rectify the damage either.

Psychiatry is not yet knowledgeable enough to fully reform individuals, but I think in time such reprogramming would be possible.

Sounds like anathema to individual freedom, but it's not. It's difficult to implement such measures in an open society, however. I'm not suggesting a totaliarian society, but a more progressive one.

Today, it's probably best to break him mentally and leave him to suffer the consequences.

foal 11-16-2007 03:29 PM

at a gut level I might want to kill them, but I still am against execution.

hitch1978 11-16-2007 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I do not want to kill anyone. I wouldn't mind to see them executed by the government/justice system however, or by some random person who just doesn't like child rapists. Which do I vote?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am kind opposite to this.

I am against the death penalty, and would not want to use it in this case, but, in the situation you descride I would very much want to murder the person involved. Slowly preferably. However that would be an emotional thing and not rational.