Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Peter King, baseball expert (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=125667)

MCS 05-30-2006 01:10 AM

Peter King, baseball expert

Peter King writes:

"I'm not sure about this, but I think when Derek Jeter retires, I will say he's the best baseball player I ever saw."

and

"And I think he'll go down as better than Mantle, because though Mantle was truly great, he also squandered much of his ability through wild living."

Between this and his recent extensive description of his colonoscopy aftermath, I think I'm pretty much not gonna be able to take him seriously any more.

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...28/mmqb/2.html

I was gonna send this to the guys at http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/ as well, but they're already on it.

Jack of Arcades 05-30-2006 01:33 AM

Re: Peter King, baseball expert

Peter King's crush on Brett Favre is even greater than Tim McCarver's crush on Derek Jeter. That should tell you something. I've never taken MMQB serious.

sublime 05-30-2006 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Peter King's crush on Brett Favre is even greater than Tim McCarver's crush on Derek Jeter. That should tell you something. I've never taken MMQB serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

even the 9 pages on his daughters softball team?

Punker 05-30-2006 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
even the 9 pages on his daughters softball team?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about his Starbucks rants? Or the hated holidy inn health club fee?

In all seriousness, I read it every week, and have for the last 5 years. A little corny at times, but a good way to kill 15 minutes Monday morning.

Michael Davis 05-30-2006 06:34 AM

Peter King is an established joke in the community of people who know something about anything. That he still has a job and remains highly paid is a tribute to politics and the importance of knowing the right people.

-Michael

antidan444 05-30-2006 12:43 PM

Michael,

... Or it may have something to do with a majority of SI readers, almost all of whom are less intelligent than the average poster on these forums, believing King knows what he's talking about and thus consistently reading his stuff.

Besides, King is a far cry from the worst sportswriters and broadcasters out there in major media land.

That said, he should stick to football.

Kneel B4 Zod 05-30-2006 01:59 PM

I like Peter King. He knows more about football than most people on this board.

I could do without the softball and Starbucks trip reports, but whatever he's entertaining w/o being dumb, much better than some 'typical' national guys who scream and dance to get attention.

HSB 05-30-2006 04:16 PM

And people wonder how people can say Derek Jeter is overrated.

Here's the facts. Derek Jeter is a pretty damn good ballplayer who seems to give it everything he has.

He has never been the best player in the league.

He has never been the best player at his position.

He currently isn't the best player at his position on his team.

Better than Mantle? By the time Mantle was Jeter's age, he had over 400 home runs. Jeter has 169. Not that homers are everything, but christ almighty the comparison is absurd.

Even if Jeter were a good fielder--which he isn't--he would have to be astonishingly better than Mantle who was pretty damn good himself.

Basically, to overcome the offensive disparity Jeter would have to cover the entire left half of the diamond leaving the three other infielders AND the three other outfielders to cover the right half.

junglewarfare 05-30-2006 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here's the facts. Derek Jeter is a pretty damn good ballplayer who seems to give it everything he has.

Better than Mantle? By the time Mantle was Jeter's age, he had over 400 home runs. Jeter has 169. Not that homers are everything, but christ almighty the comparison is absurd.

Even if Jeter were a good fielder--which he isn't--he would have to be astonishingly better than Mantle who was pretty damn good himself.

Basically, to overcome the offensive disparity Jeter would have to cover the entire left half of the diamond leaving the three other infielders AND the three other outfielders to cover the right half.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are really covering some groundbreaking stuff here.

HSB 05-30-2006 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are really covering some groundbreaking stuff here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was venting.