Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Most powerful conference in all of NCAA? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=355894)

Annulus 03-15-2007 01:49 PM

Most powerful conference in all of NCAA?

Me and a co-worker were shooting the [censored] and we started to get involved in a bit of a debate about what conference is the most powerful in the NCAA. We really didn't have any set parameters to decide. But, I'm thinking about powerful in terms of clout, political power, local and regional power, financial power, and of course sports teams. Feel free to add criteria or rules.

capone0 03-15-2007 01:51 PM

Re: Most powerful conference in all of NCAA?

Ivy League? Just look at where the Presidents went.

MyTurn2Raise 03-15-2007 01:54 PM

if you're talking sports (football and men's bball)...it's the Big11ten that has the most power throughout the land
they aren't the best in either sport, but they have the most power

John Feinstein had an article yesterday complaining about it in the Washington post IIRC

Annulus 03-15-2007 01:59 PM

Yah basically NCAA does come down to football and basketball. I also thought the Big Ten was the most powerful conference clout wise, my southern co-worker disagreed and said the SEC is the most powerful hands down.

Thremp 03-15-2007 03:24 PM

Annulus,

I agree that SEC is most powerful. Huge pull and a much stronger fanbase than other parts of the nation.

doubLe a tom 03-15-2007 03:26 PM

ACC for Basketball, with Big East not far behind.

stormstarter28 03-15-2007 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ACC for Basketball, with Big East not far behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big East? 2nd in all the conferences, and "not far behind" the ACC? That's silly.

Dids 03-15-2007 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

John Feinstein had an article yesterday complaining

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a shocking development.

Austiger 03-16-2007 12:42 AM

SEC. Not close. Follow the $$$.

MyTurn2Raise 03-16-2007 12:48 PM

ummm....I hate the big11ten as a conference, but I'm pretty sure it's the most powerful.

It leads the country in attendance for football and basketball. It has the largest alumni network and donor base. It has the *best* TV packages. That's where the $$$$ is at. Every weekend, at least 8 of its 11 teams are playing football on a channel available from basic television--ABC, ESPN, ESPN2. The rest are almost always available on ESPN+. IN basketball, only the ACC has a better tv package and the BigEast is equivalent.

Look at which conference gets the most at-large bids to the BCS. Look at which conference gets its 'bubble' teams in most consistently in bball. When Delany speaks, people listen.