Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Fred Thompson attacks Fox News for being biased (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=555096)

salesbeast 11-26-2007 08:34 PM

Fred Thompson attacks Fox News for being biased

Fox news tried to discredit Fred's campaign using commentary from ultra right wing conservative nob gobblers to suggest voters where not buying his views.

Discuss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ3dCNwyAIM

DcifrThs 11-26-2007 08:36 PM

Re: Fred Thompson attacks Fox News for being biased

fox news is the most biased station on TV imo. ... it is barely news.

thompson is very right and i didn't even click on the link you provided (i just responded based off of your title)

Barron

Dan. 11-26-2007 08:36 PM

Linktarding is teh lame. How about you get the ball rolling on some discussion.

Cumulonimbus 11-26-2007 08:36 PM

who cares? FOX is biased, all but the sheeple know that, Fred Thompson's not gonna win, /thread.

JackWhite 11-26-2007 08:38 PM

Fred Thompson should be worried about himself and his campaign. He is a lousy candidate with no message or actual reason for running. The only reason he has received any attention is his acting career and general weakness of the field.

ikestoys 11-26-2007 08:49 PM

thompsons just pissed b/c with the writers strike theres no one to write his lines

salesbeast 11-26-2007 08:56 PM

I agree Fox is a bad news station...the discussion was about how blatant it is and how Americans keep watching this crap. I am not American and just observe the political landscape and I am really worried about all the dorks that prob get their views from Fox which is so bias it's disgusting.

Case Closed 11-26-2007 08:56 PM

"It's not for me to come here and convince you that someone else thinks my campaign is going well" Or something to that effect from Freddy T. Pretty good clip and a nice quote. I think it's interesting that these news channels focus too much on what people think about a campaign instead of just reporting what is happening in these campaigns.

dazraf69 11-26-2007 11:43 PM

My brother in law(sisters husband) thinks Fox news is the only real source of information. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] He thinks Boll Oriely is on the money. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Any suggestions on how to fix this? Short of me kicking his ass. By the may I am of Middle eastern decent and he is your typical (no pun intended) Californian bread blond e. So that tends to inflame things even more. Open to suggestions.

Jack of Arcades 11-26-2007 11:57 PM

My biggest gripe with the media is how they treat politics like sporting events, commenting on who's in the lead, how things will "play" instead of what it means, etc.

andyfox 11-27-2007 12:08 AM

Thompson doesn't need Fox to sabotage his campaign. Every day that goes by he sticks both feet in his mouth--one day saying being at a gun show is "paradise," the next calling New York Cit immoral. He'll self-destruct all by himself.

iron81 11-27-2007 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thompson doesn't need Fox to sabotage his campaign. Every day that goes by he sticks both feet in his mouth--one day saying being at a gun show is "paradise," the next calling New York Cit immoral. He'll self-destruct all by himself.

[/ QUOTE ]
This actually sounds pretty smart to me. Think "King of the Hill".

adios 11-27-2007 12:22 AM

Fred Thompson has not generated much excitement or interest in his campaign. I have no clue what issues he's campaigning on and/or where he stands on them. Perhaps this is something to stimulate more interest in his campaign.

ConstantineX 11-27-2007 12:24 AM

My biggest problem with Fox News isn't that they are biased or that people watch them, but I get the distinct feeling watching Neil Cavuto's eyes or anyone of the other anchors that they know how manipulative they are and take a perverse pleasure in it. Alot of people out there have their political biases reinforced daily by Fox, but nothing is so sadistic as the reveling on the Network knowing that they are steeped in profit from it.

I wouldn't ban it, but I have my moral lines too.

Edge34 11-27-2007 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest problem with Fox News isn't that they are biased or that people watch them, but I get the distinct feeling watching Neil Cavuto's eyes or anyone of the other anchors that they know how manipulative they are and take a perverse pleasure in it. Alot of people out there have their political biases reinforced daily by Fox, but nothing is so sadistic as the reveling on the Network knowing that they are steeped in profit from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

CBS, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, you name it, all are biased. Fox is singled out because it is the only one with a conservative bias, but when you look at the things CBS and CNN have been guilty of in their editing or outright use of fake sources, well, that's no good either.

They all present themselves as "fair and balanced" even if Fox is the only channel that actually uses that as their tagline. All have their issues. The people who really care about news will find it (like many on the boards like these on the net).

Basically - Fox-bashing is popular, but to be fair you'd have to equally bash pretty much all mainstream media outlets.

iron81 11-27-2007 12:30 AM

Fred Thompson's platform can be summed up by: "Four more years".

Felix_Nietzsche 11-27-2007 12:32 AM

It Was a Bad Interview By Chris....

[ QUOTE ]
Fox news tried to discredit Fred's campaign using commentary from ultra right wing conservative nob gobblers to suggest voters where not buying his views.

[/ QUOTE ]
1. I'm no fan of Thompson for his support of McCain-Feingold. This alone should disqualify him from office.
2. I do not consider Fred Barnes to be a conservative. He is part of the Rockefeller big govt wing of the Repub party. So C.Wallace's use of the Barnes clip was meaningless to me. I'm a conservative and I think Fred Barnes is a nitwit. To call him a conservative is an insult to conservatives...
3. I think this was a lousy interview by Chris Wallace. His angle of criticizing Thompson campaign serves no purpose. I'd rather he hammer Thompson on the ***ISSUES***. It was a WORTHLESS interview and a biased interview against Thompson.

ConstantineX 11-27-2007 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CBS, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, you name it, all are biased. Fox is singled out because it is the only one with a conservative bias, but when you look at the things CBS and CNN have been guilty of in their editing or outright use of fake sources, well, that's no good either.

They all present themselves as "fair and balanced" even if Fox is the only channel that actually uses that as their tagline. All have their issues. The people who really care about news will find it (like many on the boards like these on the net).

Basically - Fox-bashing is popular, but to be fair you'd have to equally bash pretty much all mainstream media outlets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they are all biased, perhaps equally; I don't really watch enough television to tell because I've been getting my news from the Internet mostly. But I think Fox is a bit different from the other networks in that its unabashedly populist. Like the New York Times is biased, but it will get a bunch of professors, academics, politicians with plausible arguments, and importantly, they really have researched and believe those arguments, because the truth is hard thing to get right.

Fox is hard-hitting and flashy, ready with Insta-Pundits to tell what YOU want to hear, no matter how ridiculous the argument or position is logically. That's what has made them so successful in grabbing market share from the other news networks. But that same attitude, especially when those anchors preaching the Gospel don't believe it, is very distasteful to me.

ALawPoker 11-27-2007 01:01 AM

As an avid cable news watcher (I really enjoy the theater of it all, heh), I don't know what is so different about Fox News than the others. At least not to the extent being alluded to in this thread. Fox might be a shade or two worse, but I think one has to be pretty biased and sensational himself to think Fox actually stands out from the others.

They might be less coy about which side of the right/left fence they're on, but that's really it. In terms of depth of discussion matter, broad perspective, etc., they all seem remarkably the same to me.

I would say they all contribute fairly equally to the general mindfuck of misinformation/how things work.

EDIT: I guess I am repeating Edge. I had meant to send this like a half hour ago.

AlexM 11-27-2007 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fox is worse about it.

Edge34 11-27-2007 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fox is worse about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you happen to lean to the left, then yes, you're correct. Fox will lose the left just as much as CNN will lose the right. They have their specific demographic, and if you ask me, Fox did one of the smartest things they could do in becoming the only Conservative-leaning cable news networks. There was a huge market of those people just waiting to have an option other than CNN or what have you, and Fox swooped them up.

Its all a business and no one network is truly "worse" than another, just different in how they handle their biases. Cable news is more about entertainment and face time than real "news" as people want it anyway.

JackWhite 11-27-2007 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Fox is worse about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always. Compare Fox News and MSNBC at 8pm. Fox has a Conservative (O'Reilly), MSNBC has a Liberal (Olbermann). The difference? O'Reilly has liberal guests on every single night to give differing points of view. Olbermann never allows any conservative guests. You get one point of view. Dictatorships running state controlled tv allow a greater diversity of viewpoints than Olbermann.

Ron Burgundy 11-27-2007 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Fox is worse about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always. Compare Fox News and MSNBC at 8pm. Fox has a Conservative (O'Reilly), MSNBC has a Liberal (Olbermann). The difference? O'Reilly has liberal guests on every single night to give differing points of view. Olbermann never allows any conservative guests. You get one point of view. Dictatorships running state controlled tv allow a greater diversity of viewpoints than Olbermann.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're picking out the two worst offenders in the cable news business. Those two really aren't much of a sample size. Overall, Fox is the worst network in terms of effort put into being fair. But still, 99% of every story on every cable news network is either govt propaganda, ridiculous sensationalism, or simply bad/lazy journalism.

Jack of Arcades 11-27-2007 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Fox is worse about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O'Reilly has liberals on the program so he can shout at them/political theater, etc. It's not like he's running a program to air out political opinions and have honest discourse.

vbm 11-27-2007 10:09 AM

The first time I saw Fox News when visiting the states, I found it really really funny. It probably took me, four or five hour long sessions of watching it to realise that it was actually serious.

I mean it was so biased and right wing, you just couldnt take it seriously, then every 5 mins the slogan 'fair and balanced' would flash up. lol

I find it difficult to beleive anyone could see this as a serious news channel.

Bedreviter 11-27-2007 10:48 AM

You live in UK and are probably familiar with The Guardian. That newspaper is at least as far to the left, probably even more so than the Fox News Channel is to the right, and still people seem to view The Guardian as a serious newspaper.

vbm 11-27-2007 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You live in UK and are probably familiar with The Guardian. That newspaper is at least as far to the left, probably even more so than the Fox News Channel is to the right, and still people seem to view The Guardian as a serious newspaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I read it everyday [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. While I broadly agree with you, I think that the Guardian is a fair bit more balanced than Fox. Also if the Guardian had an editorial every other page telling you how fair and balanced it was, then I agree you would take it even less seriously.

Bedreviter 11-27-2007 11:27 AM

Biggest difference I see between Guardian and Fox News (besides one being a newspaper and other being cable-tv, and one being biased for the left and other being biased for the right) is the language and how they present their news/opinions.

Guardian have a more sophisticated apporach, they dont present themselves as populistic as Fox News, and they lack the commentators who will whack you over your head and tell you how the other side is awful for this and that, and that they are enemies of Britain. But even though their apporach is classier and not so "dumbed-down" as that of Fox News its basically same [censored]; different wrapping.

But we are accustomed to liberal media, and we are accustomed to the method The Guardian uses to present their news and commentary, so we dont react to it. Fox News on the other hand is one of few major media outlets that are clealry right-wing, and they arent ashamed of being simple about things or behave like loud morons at times. Underneath it all I dont find The Guardian to be any better than Fox News, its just that The Guardian are less obvious about it.

Whether The Guardian has a "fair and balanced"-slogan or not does not change much.

xorbie 11-27-2007 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you happen to lean to the left, then yes, you're correct. Fox will lose the left just as much as CNN will lose the right. They have their specific demographic, and if you ask me, Fox did one of the smartest things they could do in becoming the only Conservative-leaning cable news networks. There was a huge market of those people just waiting to have an option other than CNN or what have you, and Fox swooped them up.

Its all a business and no one network is truly "worse" than another, just different in how they handle their biases. Cable news is more about entertainment and face time than real "news" as people want it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, you just don't get it. The reason that all these channels suck isn't because they are "too liberal" or "too conservative", it's because it is in their interest to paint every solution and every person as either "conservative" or "liberal", to the exclusion of talking about actual problems or actual solutions.

Fox is by far the best about drawing the line, about dividing people into one convenient box or the other. Worse yet, they convince people to support the box they were put into not because it's right or because it makes sense, but because the people in the other box are out to get you, and if you don't yell louder than they do, that just might succeed.

4 High 11-27-2007 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fox is worse about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CNN/MSNBC are no where near as biased towards the left as Fox News is biased to the right.

DcifrThs 11-27-2007 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fox is worse about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CNN/MSNBC are no where near as biased towards the left as Fox News is biased to the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was just about to post this.

Barron

Dynasty 11-27-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this depends on where you consider the middle to be. Lots of people think their news sources are unbiased because they agree with their sources.

adios 11-27-2007 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this depends on where you consider the middle to be. Lots of people think their news sources are unbiased because they agree with their sources.

[/ QUOTE ]

\thread

Barcalounger 11-27-2007 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think anybody who's thinking critically about it thinks that their cable "news" source is "unbiased". The general dislike of Fox News for me is more about their brand of bias. At a high level, CNN seems to be "left" because they feature and highlight more stories with a natural liberal lean. Fox seems to be "right" because they take all stories (liberal, conservative, a-political) and twist them until they have a conservative lean. One is selection bias and the other is manipulation.

vulturesrow 11-27-2007 03:02 PM

Dont all political news stories have both a "right side" and a "left side" to them?

vhawk01 11-27-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

\thread

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Are you serious? So your position is that it is impossible for one side to actually, objectively be worse because its always just the fault of the viewer who has misplaced "center." Wow is that some lazy thinking. The poster you quoted suggested something that could POSSIBLY be true but gave no support for it, and you respond "/thread." Fantastic.

EDIT: Its even worse, you are saying there is no such thing as truth. Because if there IS such a thing as truth, then how "biased" you are is just an average of how far from the truth you consistently report. Certainly nothing like what the previous poster said. Just because we, individually, might not accurately place the "center" or truth of an issue doesnt mean it doesnt exist or that some networks arent worse than others.

Barcalounger 11-27-2007 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont all political news stories have both a "right side" and a "left side" to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fact: 12.6% of people in the US live in poverty.

This doesn't need commentary or spin to be a liberal leaning story. CNN could run with that fact straight up and it will have the effect of making many people want to help poor people with social programs. Which would get them labeled a "liberal news outlet". Fox could then run the headline of "Bush Considers Introducing Poverty Relief Bill" and that could be true but it took them a little more effort to twist it into a conservative slant.

That's a simple fictional illistration of what I meant by selection bias vs manipulation.