Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   ***SSNL LIFE THREAD NOV*** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535846)

Sciolist 11-06-2007 01:13 PM

Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD NOV***

[ QUOTE ]
nah im not mentioning poker anywhere. poker = gambling = bad

although i'd really love to because you need very simiar skills.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see much point in leaving that kind of thing out. I like poker, I don't much care if somebody thinks I'm wrong, it'll be an interesting interview at least. I dunno what percentage of the population thinks that poker = bad, perhaps it's worse in the US than in the UK, but I was under the impression that most adult males in the US had played at one point or another in their lives.

Anyway, you have the opportunity to argue why poker is a skill game (albeit indirectly) in your response. Plus, it's much better to put a truthful answer than some random [censored], what if you have to talk about it during an interview?

What's the job you're applying for?

4_2_it 11-06-2007 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
need some inspiration ssnl. this is for a job application:

"Describe a non-academic personal achievement that has significantly impacted you. How has this shaped you into the person you are today. *"

need to make up some crap since i'm pretty sure i haven't done anything like that, any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any voluteering or mentoring? Do you play sports? Hobbies other than poker?

orange 11-06-2007 01:15 PM

god i'm so pissed right now. i take the bus every tues/thursday to go to my teaching practicum. today, the [censored] bus driver [censored] drives RIGHT BY me and doesnt stop. i wave my arms and run for a bit and the dumb bitch just guns it. stupid whore.

now my teacher is all pissed because she modeled todays lesson with me in mind to help her. goddammit, i hate that dumb bitch of a bus driver.

Unknown Soldier 11-06-2007 01:15 PM

its not poker it's the gambling part they'll frown on. gambling is generally seen as a bad habit/addiciton. like alcoholism. If the guy isnt a poker player he won't get it and i will make a bad 1st impression which will be impossible to overcome, however much i argue that poker is a skill game.

Suigin406 11-06-2007 01:20 PM

orange, is it possible the bus was full??...i mean, i don't know anything of ur situation, but that routinely happens to me, heck, even sometimes when it's not...it's like they completely [censored] miss me and i'm like, WWWWTTTFFF

Sciolist 11-06-2007 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its not poker it's the gambling part they'll frown on. gambling is generally seen as a bad habit/addiciton. like alcoholism. If the guy isnt a poker player he won't get it and i will make a bad 1st impression which will be impossible to overcome, however much i argue that poker is a skill game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you overestimate the percentage of people who think gambling has that negative an association. I also think you underestimate the value of telling the truth about something like this, as it makes the interview a LOT easier - they can see your enthusiasm instead of you being shifty.

Let's say that the person who reviews your application has an equal chance of being very anti gaming as he has of being an enthusiastic poker player. Then there's a decent chunk of people who have a vaguely negative view on it (who REALLY thinks "anyone who gambles a little bit is evil! EVIL!"?)

You have the opportunity to demonstrate to that percentage of the population that you are able to make well reasoned arguments and defend your position.

Hell, you could even talk about making an equity analysis on whether you write about poker or not in response to that question when you get the interview.

shandyboy 11-06-2007 01:26 PM

I think it all dpeends on what the job is for.
If im going for a trading/risk job, im all for mentioning poker...

Im constantly surprised at the reactions of people when i talk poker, its always, 'how much have u lost', whats the most uve lost in a day etc...

4_2_it 11-06-2007 01:28 PM

Sciolist, you make good points, but a company is still going to be hesitant to hire someone who's only non-academic achievement is poker. Companies want people who are well rounded and sitting at a PC grinding doesn't help in that regard.

Sciolist 11-06-2007 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it all dpeends on what the job is for.
If im going for a trading/risk job, im all for mentioning poker...

Im constantly surprised at the reactions of people when i talk poker, its always, 'how much have u lost', whats the most uve lost in a day etc...

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno, any job where you have to make decisions sounds like one you can easily spin poker into a positive light for. I haven't had many negative poker reactions at all, but then these days I work for a poker company, so...

The random people I meet who ask about it are all open to persuasion. I haven't met anyone who still thinks poker is a game entirely of luck after I'm through with them.

Sciolist 11-06-2007 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sciolist, you make good points, but a company is still going to be hesitant to hire someone who's only non-academic achievement is poker. Companies want people who are well rounded and sitting at a PC grinding doesn't help in that regard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough, and if the only place you get to mention anything non-academic/non-educational is this question, then I probably agree with you. Mostly these things have areas for other interests though. Having said that, I haven't applied for a job that had an application form for a long time.