Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Negotiation 101 Mess Up - Possible To Fix? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=510124)

4 High 09-26-2007 07:17 PM

Negotiation 101 Mess Up - Possible To Fix?

So i got offered a job today and i made the classic mistake. They offered x and i asked for y which was the actual ammount i wanted. They gave in right away. Obviously i should have asked for z which is more then y but i did not. Is there any way i can fix this when i go in to do paperwork? The offer is not in writing, and was discussed on 2 cell phones with constant break ups. Is it really stupid of me to try and get a little more at this point, or should i just chalk up the l and move on? Any advice on this would help.

Due to the job being a 45 minute commute compared to the current 20 minute commute i was thinking of asking for a little more due to increased gas costs, but i already mentioned this when i asked for y. Perhaps i can say i didn't factor in mornings with traffic?

Los Feliz Slim 09-26-2007 07:18 PM

Re: Negotiation 101 Mess Up - Possible To Fix?

Too late. Do an awesome job and ask for a raise in six months.

KneeCo 09-26-2007 07:18 PM

be a man, you made an offer and it was accepted, deal.

How would you feel if you got z and when you went in to sign the papers they tried to get you down to y?

You even got what you wanted, be happy.

JasonK 09-26-2007 07:20 PM

You got what you wanted, don't be a douche because you think you could have got more.

XXXNoahXXX 09-26-2007 07:20 PM

maybe when it comes time to discuss benefits you could pretend to be unimpressed with them and use that as a way of getting your salary up.

or you can use the cell reception

"so i'm all set to sign my $100k deal"

"but we agreed on 80k"

"must have been a miscommunication. how bout 90k?"

"cheers!"

4 High 09-26-2007 07:22 PM

Yea i guess i should just take it and move on, but im still angry at myself for not asking for more. I wonder how far they would have gone. I asked for $2,000/YR more and they went for it so quick, i think i might have been able to go to $5,000/YR or maybe even more. =/

Peter Harris 09-26-2007 07:23 PM

Ah, the modern dilemma. you got what you wanted, and yet you are instantly unsatisfied.

How the philosophers do rub their hands.

MrTrik 09-26-2007 07:23 PM

Chalk this up as a lesson learned. You got what you wanted but you might have left something on the table. I agree with the advice to kick some butt and talk about it in 6 mo.

spentrent 09-26-2007 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So i got offered a job today and i made the classic mistake. They offered x and i asked for y which was the actual ammount i wanted. They gave in right away. Obviously i should have asked for z which is more then y but i did not. Is there any way i can fix this when i go in to do paperwork? The offer is not in writing, and was discussed on 2 cell phones with constant break ups. Is it really stupid of me to try and get a little more at this point, or should i just chalk up the l and move on? Any advice on this would help.

Due to the job being a 45 minute commute compared to the current 20 minute commute i was thinking of asking for a little more due to increased gas costs, but i already mentioned this when i asked for y. Perhaps i can say i didn't factor in mornings with traffic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Be elated that you got exactly what you wanted. Do the job well and you'll get what you want next time. Just because they agreed right away doesn't mean they wanted to pay a whole lot more.

It just means that you were within their expected budget. It's a great sign that their immediate response was not to lowball you.

4 High 09-26-2007 07:35 PM

What about asking for a Reloaction, Hiring or other Bonuses? Would that also be bad to do?