Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Grand Unified Theory Solved... Maybe (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547858)

durron597 11-16-2007 06:04 PM

Grand Unified Theory Solved... Maybe

Linky: Garrett Lisi may have solved Grand Unified Theory of nature. General Story

To sum up: recently solved E8 Lattice (the most complicated Lie Group), whose solution is 60 gigabytes (compressed) apparently matches very well with our current theory of subatomic particle & strong / weak / electric forces theory. Lisi proposes 20 new particles to fill out the lattice, which he claims describe gravity. To date no particles that cause gravity have yet been detected.

You can watch a Youtube video describing the theory in relative layman's terms here.

durron597 11-16-2007 06:06 PM

Re: Grand Unified Theory Solved... Maybe

I just wish our smartest scientists would spend a little less time thinking up huge untestable / very expensively testable theories with little practical application and more time working on things like the Microwave invisibility cloak etc.

gumpzilla 11-16-2007 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wish our smartest scientists would spend a little less time thinking up huge untestable / very expensively testable theories with little practical application and more time working on things like the Microwave invisibility cloak etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually almost got involved with a very similar project a couple of years ago. It's pretty interesting stuff, and those metamaterials have other potentially nice applications as well (the most commonly cited one being high quality near-field lensing.) If somebody in the industrial world started working on this stuff, it's the kind of thing that I think would be right up my alley when I graduate.

XXXNoahXXX 11-16-2007 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You can watch a Youtube video describing the theory in relative layman's terms here.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFBE

(Quoted for Brain Explode)

I enjoyed the pretty colors and movement of the video and how everything aligned, but I had to do some googling on my own to figure out what everything is. Very cool stuff though, once I wrapped my head around it.

durron597 11-16-2007 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFBE

(Quoted for Brain Explode)

I enjoyed the pretty colors and movement of the video and how everything aligned, but I had to do some googling on my own to figure out what everything is. Very cool stuff though, once I wrapped my head around it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's why I linked the E8 article and the definition of a Lie Group before linking the video

Ben Young 11-16-2007 06:48 PM

wait so was this done by mathematicians, physicists, both or other?

gumpzilla 11-16-2007 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're talking about this brand of physics I think the distinctions are small and arbitrary. Witten did win a Fields Medal.

durron597 11-16-2007 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

other. read the article, the dude was a surfer

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

in all seriousness, gumpzilla is correct.

Zeestein 11-16-2007 07:47 PM

woah

woah

woaaahhhhhhhhhh

Imrahil 11-16-2007 07:48 PM

I'm currently reading "A Brief History of Time" so this article is very interesting.