Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Beginner plays AK .5/1 limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=450613)

Alexost 07-13-2007 11:31 PM

Beginner plays AK .5/1 limit

I'm just beginning to play real money Hold'em online after having read some books and playing a few thousand hands of play money at fulltilt. I'm looking for some comments on how I played this hand. Thanks!

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

At this point I'm trying to figure some pot odds calculations in effort to help with the decision on whether or not to call. Theres $4.50 in the pot (if my calcs are correct re-reading the hand history) giving me 9-1 pot odds to call in hopes to hit one of my overcards. (Two overcards with 1 card card to come I need 7-1 odds, and I have 2 cards to come so I'm well above odds needed to call... Correct?)

The board's not too scary except for the jack, and I see a win with my A or K hitting w/2 cards to come, if my opponent has a pair of jacks.

Turn: (6 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Yessss! I hit my ace! (One of my first few dozen real money hands)

River: (8 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ad Kd (one pair, aces).
Button has Qs Jc (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 10 BB. </font>

OregonRogue 07-13-2007 11:44 PM

Re: Beginner plays AK .5/1 limit

Be careful assuming both your cards are outs. Lots of times at this level your raise will be called by A6, AJ, KJ. Sometimes the last thing you should be hoping for is to catch one of your "outs"

Alexost 07-13-2007 11:48 PM

I've read about counterfeiting outs because of the reason you give. So do you think this was a bad or marginal call? You're getting to the point of my post.. I'm wondering if it was a good or bad call, taking all things into consideration..

OregonRogue 07-13-2007 11:57 PM

I think it was just fine, I play it the same :-) just be careful

nerdking 07-14-2007 12:59 AM

ffs don't post results. def play that turned A carefully as villain may have easily turned 2 pair.

OziBattler 07-14-2007 01:47 AM

Alex, you probably would be better of venturing down to the forum right beneath this one called the micros. that is where 0.5/1 hands belong.