Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   whats better to call or shove this flop (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=555889)

sightless 11-27-2007 08:34 PM

whats better to call or shove this flop

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BTN: $84.50
SB: $110.70
Hero (BB): $100
UTG: $88.90
MP: $129.85
CO: $212

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $4</font>, MP calls $4, CO folds, BTN calls $4, SB calls $3.50, Hero calls $3

Flop: ($20) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $11</font>, MP calls $11, BTN calls $11, SB calls $11, HERO? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Nielsio 11-27-2007 08:35 PM

Re: whats better to call or shove this flop

GAMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

thac 11-27-2007 08:36 PM

Dead monies, big draw = shove imo

Benzooor 11-27-2007 08:39 PM

Shove alllllll dayyy

Readzie 11-27-2007 08:47 PM

is shove really best? i think i want to keep all the smaller draws in.

you could even make an argument for min raising here hoping to get a few dead calls and someone to push all in.

theres 63 dead in the pot. you have 96 behind. you push that makes 162 pot and 96 to call. not even laying someone 2:1, or rather if called by 2pr/set, you need to be good 33% to break even.

i think theres more EV in just calling. Your not going to take this pot down non contested all too often, and when called. If you think someone will call 96 with KQ,JK,TJ,9J then now pushing would have a bit more EV (maybe?)

iam really guessing i haven't done any math.

Benzooor 11-27-2007 08:59 PM

The point is we have a good amount of FE coupled with lots of dead money in the pot and a very strong draw with many outs to the nuts.

We'd love to take down this pot without having to hit our draw, and if we're going to commit our stack to it (which we should), it's best to do it when we have fold equity and an opportunity to see both remaining cards if called.

carrotsnake 11-27-2007 09:00 PM

I actually kinda, really like call

lowpockets 11-27-2007 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you could even make an argument for min raising here hoping to get a few dead calls and someone to push all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible advice. Shove this flop all day long and be happy about it.

Imo - Shove&gt;Call&gt;Fold&gt;Min-Raising

dbc 11-27-2007 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Suigin406 11-27-2007 09:17 PM

i think i shove as well with the dead money, we might not get a ton of action if we call and hit anyway

AaronOC 11-27-2007 09:18 PM

i shove here

traz 11-27-2007 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i shove as well with the dead money, we might not get a ton of action if we call and hit anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

we might get more action though, so it works both ways.

FWIW I spoke to sightless on aim before he posted this hand and I said I really liked a call.

Phytopath 11-27-2007 09:20 PM

I have no doubt that shoving is definately +EV, but calling with such a monster might actually be better.

Obviously if you hit a K on the turn you will be free-rolling against maybe 2-3 here, or a flush could come up against a smaller flush. I dunno just babbling, have no idea which is better actually. I would probably shove, just because I know doing so is very profitable...just not sure if it is the most profitable.

KLJ 11-27-2007 09:50 PM

this seems like a call

Zen_Approach 11-27-2007 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Imo - Shove&gt;Call&gt; Fold &gt;Min-Raising

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

I guess I like to gamble for a huge pot in this spot. I think a smallish raise (maybe to 40ish) will look very strong here. A worse draw might shove given how much is now in the pot. I think a shove shuts down the action here, and we are a decent favourite over anything other than flopped straight.

Then again calling and drawing isn't terrible, nor is an all-in. It is possible that a lot of our outs are held by our opponents.

Xanta 11-27-2007 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If I can try to explain what carrotsnake is thinking, we have 2 very good nut draws. In a pot this multiway, a whole lot of our implied odds come from doodz with non nut draws that will get it in when we hit the turn (lower spades in particular) While shoving is certainly +EV with all the dead money in the pot, you're never getting called by a worse draw and you're often flipping-ish when you get called. Just flatting the flop allows you to realize your implied odds.

Also, if we just call this flop and hit a spade, king or 8 on the turn I think that I like donking more than check/raising. Anyone else?

feelixthegreek 11-27-2007 10:12 PM

I hear the arguments for a push, but how much fold equity do we really have against all these callers?

fees 11-27-2007 10:13 PM

yeah ur gonna get called here by something that beats u so dont shove

Nielsio 11-27-2007 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If I can try to explain what carrotsnake is thinking, we have 2 very good nut draws. In a pot this multiway, a whole lot of our implied odds come from doodz with non nut draws that will get it in when we hit the turn (lower spades in particular) While shoving is certainly +EV with all the dead money in the pot, you're never getting called by a worse draw and you're often flipping-ish when you get called. Just flatting the flop allows you to realize your implied odds.

Also, if we just call this flop and hit a spade, king or 8 on the turn I think that I like donking more than check/raising. Anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is another spade draw then that leaves little spade outs. If the turn pairs the board we're pretty much [censored] to continue.

What makes you think another fd is folding if you push anyway?

Hail Eris 11-27-2007 10:20 PM

The fact that so many people are interested in this flop reduces the EV of shoving, since many of our outs are likely to be out in the other players' hands.

Unknown Soldier 11-27-2007 10:20 PM

w/ nielso, shove. pick up a load of dead money

members_only 11-28-2007 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that so many people are interested in this flop reduces the EV of shoving, since many of our outs are likely to be out in the other players' hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

It reduces the ev of calling too...

Requin 11-28-2007 12:12 AM

Call spike king shove free roll laugh all the way to the bank

poker's easy

Xanta 11-28-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Our non-outs are also likely to be held in other players' hands as well so this point is moot, unless you're contending that people are more likely to call with draws then with pairs n junk, which is true. Still, I wouldn't take more than one out away from us when doing EV calcs for that observation.