Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   please help my mother (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553512)

klaching 11-24-2007 01:37 PM

please help my mother

So my mom is a Doctor in New Jersey but is retiring on Jan 1, and moving down to Florida. She is interested in starting a business but has no exp. what so ever. I personally think it's a stupid idea because she has no business sense what so ever and can barely use a computer but I am going along with it because I know if it is successful they'll eventually be mine. Her ideal place would be like a Dunkin Donuts type place but there are already several in our town all owned by the same owner. Also I am pretty sure some random person can't open a starbucks as they're private to some extent. So my question is what type of franchise would be best for someone with minimal exp. She is looking to spending around $200k upfront. Is that even possible? Please any help would be appreciated. Thank you

dazraf69 11-24-2007 01:39 PM

Re: please help my mother

[ QUOTE ]
I personally think it's a stupid idea because she has no business sense what so ever and can barely use a computer but I am going along with it because I know if it is successful they'll eventually be mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or your mother looses 200k.

Lord_Strife 11-24-2007 05:24 PM

Dude Marc call me asap where the [censored] have you been?

Also places that are successful lately have been like Moes Southwest Grills, Chipotles, etc. These subway-eque mexican places.

klaching 11-24-2007 05:24 PM

well she called our real estate agent and she happen to have a deli / sandwich shop in our town for sale. It's pretty cheap and in 1 year old strip plaza and she's basically fallen in love with it. Are there any places you can point me to in terms of what you have to do to start? TIA

chopstick 11-24-2007 05:32 PM

It sounds like she's doing this so she can enjoy running a business, not so she can make money from running a business. I'd treat it like any other leisure activity.

vetiver 11-24-2007 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So <u>my mom is a Doctor</u> in New Jersey but is retiring on Jan 1, and moving down to Florida. <u>She is interested in starting a</u> business but has no exp. what so ever. I personally think it's a stupid idea because she has no business sense what so ever and can barely use a computer but I am going along with it because I know if it is successful they'll eventually be mine. Her ideal place would be like a <u>Dunkin Donuts</u> type place but there are already several in our town all owned by the same owner. Also I am pretty sure some random person can't open a starbucks as they're private to some extent. So my question is what type of franchise would be best for someone with minimal exp. She is looking to spending around $200k upfront. Is that even possible? Please any help would be appreciated. Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like she is passionate about running her own little shop, and that's really cool and best of luck to her. I just had to lol at that quote though.