Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Entertainment Betting (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Next Great American Band (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527051)

pete fabrizio 10-20-2007 07:05 AM

Next Great American Band

I watched the premier for this tonight, and I think I have an idea of how it's going to play out. Are there any sites taking action on this? Does anyone who watched want to make any last-longer bets? Any other thoughts about the show?

TimTimSalabim 10-27-2007 12:55 AM

Re: Next Great American Band

I want to like this show more, but the level of talent is really disappointing. I could barely pick out the melody in most of the Dylan covers. Nonetheless, the AI style competition will probably keep me hooked. I've no idea about the wagering.

TimTimSalabim 10-27-2007 02:49 PM

I noticed also that they've come up with very precise clones of the AI judges. Guess they didn't want to stray from The Formula. I do like the Simon knock-off, "You arranged that song within an inch of its life!", but unfortunately Sheila E is doing a good impression of Paula's vapidness, and the Randy clone is just boring, so I guess he fits in, too.

stereoman 11-01-2007 08:19 AM

Outright odds over at Bet365:

Sixwire 3/1
Franklin Bridge 16/5
The Clark Brothers 16/5
Tres Bien 8/1
The Hatch 9/1
Dot Dot Dot 10/1
Light of Doom 12/1
The Muggs 12/1
Denver and the Mile High Orchestra 12/1
The Likes of You 14/1
Rocket 25/1 Bet
Cliff Wagner and the Old #7 25/1

checktowin 11-02-2007 03:49 AM

sixwire looks good

TimTimSalabim 11-10-2007 03:17 PM

I think SixWire will win this. Franklin Bridge = musical masturbation. I'd give Dot Dot Dot an outside chance, just because they have an interesting look. Tres Bien could do better if they would start to take the competition seriously.

I'm actually enjoying this show a lot more, now that they've weeded out the really bad acts. That girl group was truly horrible.

StellarWind 11-10-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think SixWire will win this. Franklin Bridge = musical masturbation. I'd give Dot Dot Dot an outside chance, just because they have an interesting look. Tres Bien could do better if they would start to take the competition seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dead money:

1. Tres Bien! - They are taking this seriously but they simply aren't good enough. The musically weakest act left in the competition except maybe LoD.

2. Denver and the Mile High Orchestra - Stuck in a limited-appeal genre and Denver is boring both onstage and off.

3. Light of Doom - Really great for 13-yr-old kids but at some point they will be forced to compete against adults on their merits. Their sound is inflexible and basically copied from other heavy metal bands. They are very lacking in terms of writing and arranging music. Their arrangement of The Stranger last night made me want to cry. Worst hack job of any cover since the top 12 began.

Plus they make many adults very uncomfortable. There are a lot of people who will never vote for them no matter what.

4. Cliff Wagner & Old #7 - These guys are really talented and I like them a lot. Problem is they are in a limited-appeal genre and they show no signs of being able to 'occupy the center' and reach a broader audience.

Wild card:

5. Dot Dot Dot - These guys have a lot of stage appeal and they play types of music that have broad appeal. They aren't good enough right now but they are fixing their problems and improving much faster than anyone else. They are a longshot but they have a shot.

Contenders:

6. Franklin Bridge - This band is very talented and has the flexibility to do a lot of different types of music. These guys own a big share of the center while also monopolizing important niches by being the only black group and the only group that can do soul, funk, and several other things.

7. Sixwire - A finished product of obvious high quality and broad appeal. However there are two minor problems to resolve before we all declare Sixwire the winner and stop watching early.

First, don't they seem a little static? I don't see much improvement week-to-week and I don't see many things that can easily be improved. The trend in these competitions is the performers that survive grow very rapidly as artists. Betting on someone who looks good now but lacks potential is a sucker bet because the price will never be good enough.

The second problem with Sixwire is ...

8. The Clark Brothers are the best country band right now and probably the best band period. They are really tight both musically and visually and their arrangements and original material have been topnotch. Last night the judges seem to acknowledge their performance as best and I'm inclined to agree with them. I think we've reached a tipping point where they break out of Sixwire's shadow and become one of the recognized front runners.

TimTimSalabim 11-10-2007 07:43 PM

SW,
Interesting comments. I agree that Clark Bros are very talented but to me they're more of a novelty act than a full fledged band, therefore I don't give them much of a shot to win. JMO of course.

Also, I think Sixwire is getting better each week, it's just not as noticeable because they started at such a high level.

stereoman 11-13-2007 07:42 AM

Updated odds over at Bet365:

Sixwire 9/4
The Clark Brothers 9/4
Franklin Bridge 9/2
Dot Dot Dot 8/1
Tres Bien 9/1
Denver and the Mile High Orchestra 10/1
Light of Doom 11/1
Cliff Wagner and the Old #7 30/1

TimTimSalabim 11-17-2007 03:51 AM

I didn't think FB had a chance to win, they just seemed to be too much into themselves and not the audience. Bit of a shock to see them go so soon, though.

My favorites are still Sixwire, Dot Dot Dot and Tres Bien, and I thought they all performed well tonight. I suppose I have to acknowledge Clark Bros has an appeal as well. The other three acts have hardly a prayer, I'd rate them at more than 100 to 1.