Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Let's Read (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=73671)

Sniper 03-29-2006 04:36 AM

Let\'s Read

I'd like to suggest that we start a reading club of sorts to see if we can learn a few things together.

My thoughts are that we could all read a book, have a discussion leader do a chapter by chapter review (maybe opening discussion by posting about 1 chapter every couple of days), summary and discussion... with the intent of creating a basic plan of action around whatever the subject of the book might be. We can then modify, clarify and expand on this plan with each book read as new information adds to our knowledge.

First, is there any interest in doing this?

Second, post some books you think would be good for this... and the order you think would be best to read them. (my thought would be to start with a basic book on personal finance and then move on to specific areas of investment types and styles that people are interested in)

Third, are there any books that you would want to lead the discussion?

Thoughts?

edtost 03-29-2006 04:43 AM

Re: Let\'s Read

I like the idea. As a (selfish) suggestion, perhaps we could start with Security Analysis? I think doing something like this would be most effective if we choose books that we might not otherwise get through outside the group, though perhaps starting with something shorter/easier/less 'textbook' would get more people involved.

egordo877 03-29-2006 06:14 AM

Just expressing my interest in doing this, i think its a great idea.

Sciolist 03-29-2006 07:54 AM

I'd be up for this. My perspective would be as a beginner though :]

Riddick 03-29-2006 11:50 AM

I'm in.

Riddick 03-29-2006 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive already read the intelligent investor, but its sitting here begging me to read it again. I think its a good starting ground (and there are probably a good amount of chapters we can gloss over)

mwgr5 03-29-2006 12:07 PM

I also have the Intelligent Investor. I began reading it but have not had time to finish so this would be a great way to motivate me to read the book if you choose to discuss it.

I am also open to reading other books.

buriedbeds 03-29-2006 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to suggest that we start a reading club of sorts to see if we can learn a few things together.

My thoughts are that we could all read a book, have a discussion leader do a chapter by chapter review (maybe opening discussion by posting about 1 chapter every couple of days), summary and discussion... with the intent of creating a basic plan of action around whatever the subject of the book might be. We can then modify, clarify and expand on this plan with each book read as new information adds to our knowledge.

First, is there any interest in doing this?

Second, post some books you think would be good for this... and the order you think would be best to read them. (my thought would be to start with a basic book on personal finance and then move on to specific areas of investment types and styles that people are interested in)

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a terrific idea; I'd be interested. Along with the others who've suggested it thusfar, The Intelligent Investor would be highest on my list as well, and it seems like a logical place to start. I've gotten the audiobook version of it and listened to it that way, but I was planning to read it from the written book now anyway (basically I saw the audiobook as a way to get a broad understanding in my head before really getting the book under my belt). Also, the existence of an Intelligent Investor thread on here as a sticky would likely be a useful thing for all those "what books should I read" posts that this forum gets.

I would also be open to reading other books, though.

-bb.

Riddick 03-29-2006 01:01 PM

After Intelligent Investor, I would like to see an analytic discussion of:

Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits (Fisher)

Fooled by Randomness (Taleb)

dc_publius 03-29-2006 01:02 PM

I'm interested, as long as the books chosen provide some insight/knowledge/theory, and not just fluffy "motivation."

Suggested; Intelligent Investor, A Random Walk Down Wall Street, Fooled by Randomness.