Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Turn based strategy Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=346465)

dirty banana2007 03-04-2007 09:59 AM

Turn based strategy Games

Any recommendations for PC or PS2 turn based strategy games?

I'm really crap when it comes to RTS.

thanks,

pudley4 03-04-2007 10:53 AM

Re: Turn based strategy Games

PC - Can't go wrong with the Civilization series.

goofyballer 03-04-2007 11:28 AM

Heroes of Might and Magic is also a pretty cool game - I dunno how the newer ones are, but I played HoMM II endlessly when I was younger. Along the same lines, Disciples II is really really good.

JMa 03-04-2007 04:49 PM

Jagged Alliance 2 is a great game

Gib 03-04-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jagged Alliance 2 is a great game

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, awesome game.

Civilization is def. a good choice as well.

LeapFrog 03-04-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heroes of Might and Magic is also a pretty cool game - I dunno how the newer ones are, but I played HoMM II endlessly when I was younger. Along the same lines, Disciples II is really really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like any of the above games, you should check out Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic. It's somewhat similar to Master of Magic (a classic).

Also if you want turn based sci-fi the gold standard is Master of Orion II though its obviously dated graphics wise. You could check out Galactic Civilizations II, its basically a modern successor -- haven't played it yet but it has received good reviews.

DeuceKicker 03-04-2007 06:50 PM

There's another thread about XCOM--the greatest PC game (turn-based or otherwise) ever. I believe you can download it free as abandonware, but I don't have a link.

ilya 03-04-2007 07:47 PM

Jagged Alliance 2 or Heroes of Might & Magic 1 on the PC. X-Com is awesome but is not strictly turn-based.

Ring of Red or Disgaea on the PS2. Actually Disgaea is kind of expensive so just get La Pucelle Tactics, same company, very similar game mechanics, much cheaper.

signal 03-04-2007 08:34 PM

It's at home of the underdogs (X-com)... just type 'hotu' into google and it gives the url.

The one I've been playing lately is an open-source clone type thing at ufoai.net. So far it seems decent. I think I am going to check out jagged alliance 2 ... i found a demo at download.com.

Also, a civ games are good turn-based games too (as a previous poster stated).

headofmike 03-04-2007 09:41 PM

I'm just curious. What exactly is a turn based strategy games. I've never played any of the above games. Would command and conquer be considered one?