Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Lloyd Carr Retiring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544431)

bonds 11-15-2007 08:19 PM

Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Chelsea just fire their football coach? Let's go get him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could he beat Saline?

JackWhite 11-15-2007 08:35 PM

I was hoping Cam Cameron's name wouldn't come up (as a serious candidate that is). Hoping against hope, that the new coach was an outsider. For those in the know, will money be a factor? Are we prepared to pay top dollar? I know we'll never pay Saban type money, but I hope we don't do this on the cheap.

jgunnip 11-15-2007 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Chelsea just fire their football coach? Let's go get him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could he beat Saline?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at both comments. awesome.

damaniac 11-15-2007 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping Cam Cameron's name wouldn't come up (as a serious candidate that is). Hoping against hope, that the new coach was an outsider. For those in the know, will money be a factor? Are we prepared to pay top dollar? I know we'll never pay Saban type money, but I hope we don't do this on the cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is/was a concern, as there was a certain sense before that we'd pay less because great coaches would want to come here and take less money for the privilege of coaching Michigan. That won't happen now. Martin's paying big bucks for Beilein and basketball is very encouraging. I'm not expecting 5 mil/year or anything, but we'll pay. Of course if Miles really wants the job, as is almost certainly the case, we can probably get him cheaper. That'd be an interesting negotiation, with Michigan knowing Miles desperately wants to coach Michigan but nevertheless being at a top job where it should theoretically take a ton to pry him away.

As far as outsiders, I don't really care. I mean, no one from the current staff because no one is qualified yet (someone like Loefler or English could be down the road). Miles has a Michigan pedigree, but he's spent time in the Big12, SEC, and NFL. It's not total inbreeding here.

Mind you, we're going to be pissed off at something the new coach does, whoever it is, and quite frankly it's going to be hard to find someone who does a substantially better than Carr in terms of overall record, but at least it's time for a new set of things to be frustrated about.

damaniac 11-15-2007 08:50 PM

Also, various sources are pretty adamant that the team has been told re: Carr leaving, lest there be any panic that he might waver and stay.

bonds 11-15-2007 09:05 PM

I'm curious as to how Martin ultimately decides on who the best fit to replace Lloyd would be. What factors does he consider? I mean, ideally, you'd want someone who is all of the following:

1. Innovative
2. Loyal to the school/a good "face" for the U
3. Teaches fundamentals well
4. Hires/develops great assistants
5. Inspiring
6. Solid in-game coach
7. Great recruiter
8. Runs a tight, clean program
9. Interacts well with boosters/alumni/faculty
10. Media friendly
11. Has a track record of success
12. Develops pro prospects
13. Young enough to be around for a while (ageist ban imo)

I'm sure there are more, those are just ones I came up with at the moment.

Any candidate out there is going to have some of these but not all. What's most important? What's least (media imo, see Carr, Lloyd). Are there any that you can live without? Do you disqualify someone because he fails at one or more?

I think scoring "unknown" or "fail" in multiple categories should disqualify some of the internal candidates (I'm talkin' to YOU, Debord), btw.

THEOSU 11-15-2007 09:14 PM

bonds,

1-13 don't mean a goddamn thing if you can't beat ohio state.

soooo, i sure hope that 1-13 are the criteria being considered, while we just keep on winning.

mpitts 11-15-2007 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bonds,

soooo, i sure hope that 1-13 are the criteria being considered, while we just keep on winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Ohio State fans that act like Lloyd Carr is 0-12 against OSU.

While Tressel has had success against him, Lloyd rolled over Cooper. I know that when Lloyd retires, OSU fans will be just as disappointed as I was when OSU fired Cooper.

JaredL 11-15-2007 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bonds,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean the perception of being able to beat Ohio State or the actual ability? Do Michigan and Ohio State fans think there is some element to beating the other or than what it would take to beat, say, Penn State?

bonds 11-15-2007 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bonds,

[/ QUOTE ]

So, using your criteria, our coaching search options are limited to the following:

1. Ron ZOOK
2. Urban Meyer
3. Mack Brown
4. Joe Paterno
5. Barry Alvarez
6. Joe Tiller
7. Kirk Ferentz
8. Randy Walker (RIP)
9. Anyone else who beat tO$U prior to 2004.

Damn, I guess we ARE going to get Ferentz.

(ps: there is a whole other thread devoted to hating on each other, you don't need to do it here)