Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   THANKS U.S. GOVERNMENT (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=340819)

Rubin 02-25-2007 03:06 PM

THANKS U.S. GOVERNMENT

Welcome to my first political rant. Why? Because I’m surprised at how nobody seems to hit the mark when it comes to the clearest illustration of hipocracy in our government. My dad started smoking when he was 12. My aunt started when she was 14. They’re both dead from cancer. When I was a kid, I grew up in a poor working class environment. Half the kids I knew including both my step-brothers smoked regularly by the time they were 16. I held out till I was 18. I now am an ex- 2 and ½ pack a day smoker. It’s been 5 years now on my second successful attempt at quitting. It’s not easy to avoid a relapse when every time I go to pay for my gas, I have to look at a rack containing every kind of ciggarette imaginable. That‘s OK, I‘m a big boy. What’s funny is, what I worry about much more than alcohol, weed, or gambling is the availability of cigarettes to any kids I might raise in the future. THANKS U.S. GOVERNMENT for protecting me and my family from ourselves. Nice to know that this is a government of the people and not corporate interests by the way. When discussing hipocracy, you might want to consider writing to your corporate whore in Washington. Ask him how the fk can Washington claim to be legislating protection for your children when half of your kid’s friends in high school are smoking? The answer is obvious but you won’t get it.

“We have a one party system with two somewhat different factions with a lot of overlap. The Business Party has two factions.” - Noam Chomsky

mmbt0ne 02-25-2007 04:00 PM

Re: THANKS U.S. GOVERNMENT

[ QUOTE ]
It’s been 5 years now on my second successful attempt at quitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should re-evaluate your first "successful" quitting attempt then.

almostbusto 02-25-2007 04:01 PM

sorry but I have to give this rant 1 star. and this is coming from someone who hates (dislikes doesn't cut it) the U.S. government.

Rubin 02-25-2007 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry but I have to give this rant 1 star. and this is coming from someone who hates (dislikes doesn't cut it) the U.S. government.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry too. I posted this in the Legislation forum where people rant about "religious right wing republicans" and so on. I wouldn't have expected 1/2 a star if I would have posted it here.

Rubin 02-25-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It’s been 5 years now on my second successful attempt at quitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should re-evaluate your first "successful" quitting attempt then.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty observant. I'm glad you get my point.

SNOWBALL 02-25-2007 05:07 PM

what do you think the government should do? Mandatory 30 days in jail to anyone caught smoking?

natedogg 02-25-2007 05:37 PM

If you really believe the government's role is to protect people from themselves then you are in my opinion one of the most dangerous elements in america. You and your kind will lead us down the path to total tyranny.

natedogg

gamblerNC1 02-25-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you really believe the government's role is to protect people from themselves then you are in my opinion one of the most dangerous elements in america. You and your kind will lead us down the path to total tyranny.
natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

i would have to agree. exactly what would you have the goverment do? cigarettes are bad. cigarettes kill and so? no matter what the goverment does cigarettes will still be bad. cigarettes will still kill. so what is your solution?

Metric 02-25-2007 05:54 PM

"I can't control myself and the government won't control me, therefore the government is evil."

TomCollins 02-25-2007 06:03 PM

Rubin,

Please try to kill yourself. If the government can stop you, then it clearly it is evil.