Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ALCS Game 3: Dice-K vs. Westbrook (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523647)

durron597 10-15-2007 05:57 PM

ALCS Game 3: Dice-K vs. Westbrook

Scouting Report:
Red Sox: The right-hander from Japan labored in his first career postseason start, giving up seven hits and three runs over 4 2/3 innings to the Angels. He threw 96 pitches, which is less economical than the Red Sox need him to be. Overall, Matsuzaka's first Major League season has been a success. Matsuzaka went 15-12 with a 4.40 ERA over 32 starts. In 204 2/3 innings, Matsuzaka allowed 191 hits while striking out 201. His best month was June, when he posted a 1.59 ERA over five starts. Matsuzaka went 2-1 with a 7.62 ERA in September, though his final regular-season start was one of his best, as he limited the Twins to two runs over eight innings while striking out eight. Matsuzaka had mixed results against the Indians, going 1-1 with a 4.26 ERA in two starts. His win was a 1-0 gem against C.C. Sabathia at Cleveland on July 24. Matsuzaka went 7-8 with a 4.02 ERA on the road this season.

Indians: Westbrook's first foray into postseason play saw him shine early in Game 3 of the ALDS, but he couldn't sustain the bite on his sinker in the middle innings and was tagged for six runs on nine hits in five-plus innings of work. He was unable to secure an early 3-0 lead handed to him in what could have been a series-clinching game. He said his approach became too predictable, and he hopes to mix up his pitches better in this start. Westbrook has to prove he can turn in a more consistent outing against lineups filled with postseason veterans. That might be tough to do against a Red Sox club that roughed him up for five runs on 10 hits in six innings in his lone start against them this season.

g-bebe 10-15-2007 06:39 PM

Re: ALCS Game 3: Dice-K vs. Westbrook

thank you, Ken Rosenthal

i predict:

Red Sox 9, Indians 5

kyro 10-15-2007 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thank you, Ken Rosenthal

i predict:

Red Sox 9, Indians 5

[/ QUOTE ]

Sox need this one bad. I hope you're right. I have no idea what to expect from this game. I expected them to split the first two, but DiceK is such an enigma. I know this sounds really simple and obvious, but good DiceK should yield a win, and bad DiceK is bad news as not only will the offense need to score, but Tito will have to dip into the bullpen again.

tolbiny 10-15-2007 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thank you, Ken Rosenthal

i predict:

Red Sox 9, Indians 5

[/ QUOTE ]

Sox need this one bad. I hope you're right. I have no idea what to expect from this game. I expected them to split the first two, but DiceK is such an enigma. I know this sounds really simple and obvious, but good DiceK should yield a win, and bad DiceK is bad news as not only will the offense need to score, but Tito will have to dip into the bullpen again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Westbrook has proven he can be dominant at times. For example here are his stats from his 6 starts in August of this year

August 6 6 0 4 1 0 0 0 42.2 1.90 33 9 9 2 9 1 23 3

He has also pitched 9 consecutive perfect innings across two appearances (2 perfect innings of relief followed by seven perfect innings in a start).

Dynasty 10-15-2007 06:58 PM

Please stop posting in this thread. Use the ALCS thread that already exists. There's a good ongoing discussion happening there.