Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   SSNL Music Thread (n/c) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=414709)

orange 05-29-2007 01:48 PM

SSNL Music Thread (n/c)

An idea in the life thread that will proposed:

what music are you guys listening to these days? Does it change during poker?

Post some links of the song if you can.

I like a wide variety of music. I listen to soothing music during poker, typically enya or jack johnson or beethoven or something like that.

here are a few songs that i like:

ozzzy: i just want to hold you
Red hot chili peppers snow hey yo

Also I was going to add the song 'Top Back' by T.I. but couldnt find a link.

So SSNL, what songs do you guys like?

Novles 05-29-2007 01:53 PM

Re: SSNL Music Thread (n/c)

sublime ftw. If anyone wants some underground sublime, pm me, I've got like 35 bootlegs and unreleased CD's.

When I'm playing a donkament, I like something a little heavier, some Tool or some Pantera to prep for the inevitable tilt that dokaments cause.

Sorcerer808 05-29-2007 01:53 PM

F pop music. I listen to 60's jazz (trane, ESP, etc...), I love Hendrix. Lately I've been into roots reggae thought, these guys share a lot of important insight regarding spirituality and life in general. I don't listen to music when I play poker thought, I don't mind silence.

EDIT : ^^^^^^^^ Forgot about Tool too!

Peter Tosh - Equal Rights, you must all listen to this, seriously!

Peter Tosh - Glass House

Peter Tosh - Bush Doctor

I would list them all!

willw9 05-29-2007 01:53 PM

I'm a rap/hip hop guy, but I like my music to be soothing as well. I just downloaded a bunch of new music since I got this new laptop, and I've been listening to a lot of Talib Kweli and Hi-tek as of late. Also, I'm all about Lil' Wayne during poker. Shooter and Earthquake are some sick songs. How do I post song linkys?

orange 05-29-2007 01:54 PM

Just go to URL in the reply box.

Also, I agree with sublime. I like sublime alot.

Al_Money 05-29-2007 01:56 PM

Its wierd, away from the tables, I'll listen to everything from Radiohead to RHCP to Metallica but during a session all I can listen to is rap. It keeps me off tilt and its easy to listen to in a weird sort of way.

orange 05-29-2007 01:57 PM

Al,
what sortve rap? artists/songs that we can listen to?

all,
start recommending some of your favorite songs/songs that you like alot and list the title of it so we can find it.

willw9 05-29-2007 01:59 PM

Lil Wayne: Shooter, Earthquake, Hustla's Music, Leather So Soft

Talib+Hi Tek: All of Reflection Eternal (their joint album)

willw9 05-29-2007 01:59 PM

I also am taking a liking to Papoose, especially 'Let's Play Monopoly"

Al_Money 05-29-2007 02:00 PM

Honestly I listen to pretty much anything. Lately, I've been listening to The Game's cd "Doctor's Advocate", not too bad. I like anything that has a good beat/flow, Method Man, Jay-Z, Dre, T.I., etc.

Maulik 05-29-2007 02:03 PM

Shaniac reccomended Herbie Hancock - Headhunters. I was disappointed.

Dave Brubeck - Time Out, 1959 may be my favourite jazz album.

kolotoure 05-29-2007 02:05 PM

I really like Norah Jones - Come away with me

Margin Of Error 05-29-2007 02:07 PM

Craig Mack - Flava In Ya Ear (Remix) Feat. Notorious BIG/LL Cool J/Busta Rhymes

I was listening to this song on repeat for like 3 hours. its doooope

willw9 05-29-2007 02:09 PM

Notorious BIG: Ten Crack Commandments

Nas: Anything really, wow he's good. I prefer the calmer, more poetic stuff during poker though

David Gray: This Year's Love (prom song from Girl Next Door)

orange 05-29-2007 02:13 PM

kolo,
that NJ song was very soothing.

as kil knows, I like enya alot. Here is a song I like from enya: enya book of days

Margin Of Error 05-29-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Nas: Anything really, wow he's good. I prefer the calmer, more poetic stuff during poker though

[/ QUOTE ]

Nas - Purple
Nas - Poppa Was a Playa
Nas - Black Zombie
Nas - Nothing Lasts Forever

easily his best songs imo

willw9 05-29-2007 02:21 PM

I like how I have 76 Nas songs and none of those...

Rainclouds 05-29-2007 02:21 PM

My taste of music is very broad, but I have a passion for electronic dance music, especially progressive, trance, house, lounge, ambient and breakbeat. Artists I admire are Chicane, Hybrid, BT, Armin van Buuren... and many many others to be honest.

I'm a music producer myself and I have 3 record contracts, so I'm kind of in the business as well. My best known track is Paski - Rain Clouds (and that's where my 2p2 name comes from), so that's the one I have to recommend [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Next to EDM I also like rock, jazz and new age. When playing poker I typically listen to lounge or trance.

Colombo 05-29-2007 02:22 PM

I've been big into Modest Mouse lately.

One band I think you guys should check out is !!!. I never heard of them when i first downloaded their stuff, but I've recently seen some of their songs on XM. They're a great alt/electronica band.

My favorite thing to listen to while playing is the albuym Street Dad by Out Hud. This band is a !!! side project and the entire album is instrumental and soothing.

Margin Of Error 05-29-2007 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how I have 76 Nas songs and none of those...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its on his Lost Tapes album, its sick.

Colombo 05-29-2007 02:23 PM

O ya and for rap i gotta go with AZ and The Roots. Nas is great as well and illmatic got me into AZ. However, I prefer AZ over Nas now.

kolotoure 05-29-2007 02:25 PM

The entire AWOL album was amazing IMO

Lordy 05-29-2007 02:25 PM

I'm more of a metal guy. I don't think that the music I listen to while playing has any kind of impact. It's just background noise to cover the computer fan [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Some bands I like : Dragonforce, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Skyfire.

Sorcerer808 05-29-2007 02:27 PM

Go check out the links I've posted in my first post on top, I just edited it.

Peter Tosh - Not Gonna Give up

This one's sick too

delta k 05-29-2007 02:27 PM

for good attitude

-Atmosphere
-Brother Ali

for fun

-Modest Mouse
-Mars Volta
-Heiroglyphics
-Heiruspecs

TO PWN

-Young Jeezy (hells ya)
-This is why I'm hot on repeat
-Nas (older stuff)
-TI

Anti-Tilt

-Decemberists
-Death Cab for Cutie
-Kooks
-Strokes

Margin Of Error 05-29-2007 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love AZ but hated AWOL, I thought the production was just utter [censored]. My friend gave me a remixed version of the album that is like 1000x better.

Colombo 05-29-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love AZ but hated AWOL, I thought the production was just utter [censored]. My friend gave me a remixed version of the album that is like 1000x better.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by production?

I like AWOL the most too, AWOL > Doe or Die = The Format, imo

Snipe 05-29-2007 02:30 PM

I listen to a pretty eclectic mix of music. I grew up on hip hop, but listen to quite a bit of house and rock as well. I find that hip hop and house are preferred for poker, however I find that I constantly have to pause when things get non-standard.

Hip Hop:
DJ Babu – Duck Season V1 and V1 – sick sick sick albums from a couple years back – DON’T SLEEP
Sound Bombin V2 and V3 – V2 is another Babu mix and is ILL. V3 is done by Mr. Choc or some ish – good songs – mixing isn’t beat Junky quality
Any J-Rocc Mixtapes – “One” is dope as are the Tasters Choice albums currently available on Turntable Lab
Nas / Jay Z / Ghostface / Old Wu-Tang solo albums – some Mos Def (although he can get kinda tired)
MF DOOM!!! – Illest MC / producer out there right now and it’s not close. If you like Cartoon Network ish, The Mouse and the Mask is a must have – really good / original concept.

House:
House of Om – Mark Farina – This is a GREAT album and I’m typically not a Farina fan – by far my most played lately
House of Om – DJ Sneak – good – not nearly as good as MFs mix, but good
DJ Dan – Live @ Ruby Skye, Lift D1, Beats for Freaks, - pretty much anything he does is good.

Rock:
The Strokes – best rock band evar – just great all around.
Dirty Pretty Things – couple good songs – this is the Libertines minus a couple douches

Ok, back to work for me.

willw9 05-29-2007 02:32 PM

Roots are pretty sick, forgot to mention them..

Also, AZ like doesn't have that much stuff out. He's pretty sick though. Also, Consequence and Kanye are the goods.

ajmargarine 05-29-2007 02:33 PM

so funny....i have no idea who 95% of the bands/artists are in this thread. heh.

And when music is referenced, we need the obligatory Pandora link.

willw9 05-29-2007 02:37 PM

Wow Black Zombie is redic.

Colombo 05-29-2007 02:39 PM

o ya and Muse of course (ldo)

Snipe 05-29-2007 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so funny....i have no idea who 95% of the bands/artists are in this thread. heh.

And when music is referenced, we need the obligatory Pandora link.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until just now I always thought your name was AJMigraine. I could only think "maybe he should spend a little less time staring at the computer". Now I don't know what to think.

willw9 05-29-2007 02:39 PM

Allure Remix by Jay-Z is awesome.

BGnight 05-29-2007 02:43 PM

Hiphop: Jurrasic 5, too short, bdp, dj quik, outkast, nappy roots, p.enemy, gangstarr, tribe c.q., dead prez...all the new bling, bling stuff is teh ghey(50 cent, etc...)

Hard: TOOL is my favorite band of all time, slayer, in flames, clutch, janes addic., primus, perfect circle, dead kennedys, rollins band,....

Other: Johnny Cash, Morcheeba, peter tosh, pink floyd, manu chau, modest mouse, jamiriquai, flogging molly, shpongle,

oh...... and DURAN DURAN FTW!

ajmargarine 05-29-2007 02:49 PM

Here's some pre-release modest mouse stuff that's actually really really good.

Link

wrschultz 05-29-2007 02:49 PM

I listen to a lot of different kinds of music both while playing and away from the tables. I'm really into a lot of jazz stuff, mainly fusion and funk. I'm a big fan of Weather Report and Michael Brecker, though 90% of you wont know who they are.

My favorite band is definitely Sublime, and it's been that way as long as I can remember. I listen to a lot of 311 and RATM while I play also. I'm a big tool fan as well, but I can't listen to really heavy interesting music when I play. It has to be the type of music that doesn't distract and keeps me focused.

EDIT: I also listen to Ludacris and Outkast occasionally when I need to get pumped up.

willw9 05-29-2007 02:54 PM

Just dloaded some Dead Prez, pretty wicked.

KLJ 05-29-2007 02:56 PM

Wow, pleasantly surprised to see a "Lost Tapes" shoutout already. That [censored] is so crucial and underrated.

Most played albums while I'm playing poker (have about 20 I switch between):
De La Soul: The Grind Date
Dr Dre: 2001
Jedi Mind Tricks: Violent By Design
Jedi Mind Tricks: Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell
Linkin Park: All albums
Nas: All albums

Albums while I'm on tilt:
Danity Kane: DK (only certain songs)
Common: Be
Jason Mraz: Mr. A-Z
John Mayer: All albums

Other artists I listen to a lot:
Cunninlynguists, Eminem, Fort Minor, Immortal Technique, Jay Z, Kanye West, Maroon 5, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, TI (im like 25ptbb/100 listening to him over 1k hands)

My music is pretty modern hip hop, but recently I've really been getting into older stuff from the Rakim era of the late 80's and the Tupac/Biggie era of the 90s.

BGnight 05-29-2007 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's some pre-release modest mouse stuff that's actually really really good.

Link

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched the whole thing. My God, wtf were we thinking in the 80's?