Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   5-10 cent PL OHL on Full Tilt (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553565)

The Donator 11-24-2007 03:17 PM

5-10 cent PL OHL on Full Tilt

I really enjoy this game, but I'm clearly a supplier. I wait for premium (scoop) pots, then either get bad or partially bad flops and have to fold to big bets. I know I'm being pushed around, but in PL it's hard to invest a lot on draws, isn't it? Or should I go with the draws and keep my fingers crossed. Seems when I do I lose, but when I go with "made" hands (sets, str8s, etc.) I get sucked out on. The one thing I've noticed is the same few players seem to win every time and the chumps like me keep feeding them. What are they doing that I'm not? Please help.

Assani Fisher 11-25-2007 09:15 AM

Re: 5-10 cent PL OHL on Full Tilt

Hard to say without seeing any specific hands. Perhaps go play a few sessions and save the hand histories of anything you find interesting and post them all here.

89,870 and counting

antistuff 11-25-2007 10:46 AM

the rake in that game makes it not worth playing. step up to $25 or switch to stars.

The Donator 11-25-2007 12:25 PM

I get 27 percent rakeback, which allows me to get most of my money back and keep playing. I win the rest back playing SNGs, but would really like to learn this game.

antistuff 11-25-2007 01:00 PM

step up and learn at the $25 level. the play isnt really much better. rake destroys split pot games in ways that non split games can only begin to dream of. its so bad that you have to take it into account when you think of how large an edge you have because if you get all $10 in and you split you lose like $1.50 or something (i think, 10% up to $3 right?). suddenly your 55/45 doesn't look so pretty does it?

rando 11-25-2007 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in PL it's hard to invest a lot on draws, isn't it? Or should I go with the draws and keep my fingers crossed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what you need to look at. If you find it hard to invest a lot on draws, you are playing the wrong game. You just need to know what kind of draws to put it all in with. If you have nut low and nut flush draw three ways on the flop, it should be pretty easy to push and pray. Made str8s are not very powerful if made on the flop - some examples are broadway which is susceptible to a set filling up or a 2-flushed broadway flop where someone else flopped broadway freerolling you for the flush, or a made 8 high straight where someone else can have a higher str8 or same str8 freerolling you with a low draw for 3/4s. If you are predictable with folding strong starting hands to whiffed flops, you may well be bluffed off these hands by the same observant players time and time again. Make a few adjustments and you should be okay... number one is don't be too predictable, number two don't be afraid to stack off when you flop sick draws (not str8 draws!).

davebreal 11-25-2007 02:50 PM

i think you need a new nickname or you'll never be able to win.

Stuart "The Donator" Paterson plays online at Full Tilt Poker.
* Nicknamed "The Donator"
* 1 WPT final table
* Prolific online poker player
http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/stuartPaterson.php

ok, but seriously though i think you need COMPLETELY familiarize yourself with the math of the game. this is how i learned to play, and probably most others either.

when you lose a hand, run an odds simulator and check to see if it was: a) a crazy bad beat b) coinflip c) freeroll

chances are, if you see the same people winning time and again... they themselves are pretty experienced and familiar with the math of the game. it's possible to run bad and find marginal spots for very long periods, but getting it in with the best of it will never fail in the long run.

The Donator 11-25-2007 03:27 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. Seems whenever I play A23x the flop is three highs, then when I play four Broadways, flop almost always is low. Even when I flop a high set there are two low cards out and I'm heads-up and don't want to draw for half the pot. Are 9-10-J-Q or 4-6-7-8 kind of hands good in this game or should they be avoided? See people winning with them.

The Donator 11-25-2007 03:32 PM

I also always assume when I'm against 3 or more opponents that somebody has A-2. What about hands like KK36. Fold them or see a flop?

The Donator 11-25-2007 03:52 PM

Here's a typical hand for me. I get solid wheel cards and a medium pair, then the fop hits by wheel cards, not the pair, and I have no idea where I am in the hand and have to fold. Or should I be aggressive here?

Full Tilt Poker Game - $0.05/$0.10 - Pot Limit Omaha H/L -
Seat 1: z_l4 ($6.45)
Seat 2: Player1($11.55)
Seat 3: Player2 ($3.85)
Seat 4: Player3 ($4)
Seat 5: Player4 ($6.25)
Seat 6: Player5 ($4.40)
Seat 7: Player6 ($10.80)
Seat 8: HERO ($9.65)
Player6 posts the small blind of $0.05
HERO has 5 seconds left to act
HERO posts the big blind of $0.10
5 seconds left to act
Player1posts a dead small blind of $0.05
Player1posts $0.10
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [4c 8s 8h 2d]
z_l4 calls $0.10
Player1checks
Player2 calls $0.10
Player3 calls $0.10
Player4 folds
Player5 calls $0.10
Player6 has 15 seconds left to act
Player6 calls $0.05
HERO checks
*** FLOP *** [4d Ac 2s]
Player6 checks
HERO checks
z_l4 checks
Player1has 15 seconds left to act
Player1checks
Player2 checks
Player3 checks
Player5 checks
*** TURN *** [4d Ac 2s] [Ts]
penalty sevens sits down
penalty sevens adds $10
Player6 has timed out
Player6 checks
HERO checks
Player6 has been disconnected
z_l4 checks
Player1checks
Player2 checks
Player3 checks
Player5 checks
*** RIVER *** [4d Ac 2s Ts] [3h]
Player6 checks
HERO checks
z_l4 checks
Player6 has reconnected
Player1checks
Player2 checks
Player3 bets $0.10
Player5 has 15 seconds left to act
Player6 is sitting out
Player5 calls $0.10
Player6 folds
HERO folds
z_l4 folds
Player1calls $0.10
Player2 has 15 seconds left to act
Player2 folds
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Player3 shows [6s 2h 5d 6d] a straight, Six high, for high and 5,4,3,2,A, for low
Player5 mucks
Player1mucks
Player3 wins the high pot ($0.50) with a straight, Six high
Player3 wins the low pot ($0.45) with 5,4,3,2,A
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1.05 | Rake $0.10
Board: [4d Ac 2s Ts 3h]
Seat 1: z_l4 folded on the River
Seat 2: Player1mucked [3c 3s Qc 4s] - HI: three of a kind, Threes
Seat 3: Player2 folded on the River
Seat 4: Player3 showed [6s 2h 5d 6d] and won ($0.95) with HI: a straight, Six high; LO: 5,4,3,2,A
Seat 5: Player4 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: Player5 (button) mucked [Ah 3d Ks Jd] - HI: two pair, Aces and Threes
Seat 7: Player6 (small blind) folded on the River
Seat 8: HERO (big blind) folded on the River