Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Just got braces (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=237909)

pirateboy 10-16-2006 05:50 PM

Just got braces

So, I'm 24 years old and work at a TV station in advertising sales. On Friday, I got braces. I put this off for years and years but finally something needed to be done. I was worried about my self esteem, how people would perceive me, and the overall uncomfortable feeling associated with them (both physical and emotional).

My need from OOT is some advice on A) how to live with braces as an outgoing 24 year old, B) tips in general about taking care of my braces, and C) anything else

TL;DR notes - Got braces, need advice and tips in all areas

drexah 10-16-2006 05:52 PM

Re: Just got braces

Honestly, if I was 24 and had to get them, I would probably tell people that I got in an accident of some sort or some funny event where I needed to get them. Instead of just telling people I put it off for 11 years because of the emotional side effects. I never needed them so I can't comment on taking care of them.

nsdjoe 10-16-2006 05:53 PM

I've seen people with the invisalign braces... Those seem to be the way to go.

NT! 10-16-2006 05:54 PM

this is why I own like fitty leven billion shares of kleenex mang

Joe Camel 10-16-2006 05:57 PM

I had braces when I was a kid so I can't exactly relate to your situation. It's kind of a bummer, but I'm sure having crooked teeth is a much bigger bummer. I don't think there's much to say, except hang in there. How long do you expect to have them on? Also, you should post a picture (not necessarily of yourself) of what these look like, I understand the technology is always improving, and I'm curious to see how the latest ones look.

gorie 10-16-2006 06:01 PM

i have braces, i got them when i was 24, too. it's really not a big deal, though it will be nice when they finally come off (in a few months).

the first few months are the worst btw. but you will get use to them pretty quick.

pirateboy 10-16-2006 06:03 PM

I don't have the invisalign because my orthodontist advised I go the LARGEMETALalign instead. The invisalign is more expensive and takes longer than the regular ol' braces. Plus, I think my teeth needed the regs.

Anyway, I have the porcelain colored brackets on the teeth in the front so it won't be as glaringly noticeable.

In the end (2 years from now), I know it will be worth it, but I assume people above the age of 17 don't insult people with braces.

miajag 10-16-2006 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my orthodontist advised I go the LARGEMETALalign instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, nice

samsdmf 10-16-2006 06:20 PM

There is no pain like it when you get them tightened, one of the greatest days of my life getting them taken out...
Rinse and repeat, you pretty much have what nearly everyone says about braces

Dementia 10-16-2006 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I assume people above the age of 17 don't insult people with braces.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they'll just tell jokes about you when you aren't there. Standard though.