Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Question about Car - 30,000 mile maintenance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=367091)

West 03-29-2007 12:37 PM

Question about Car - 30,000 mile maintenance

My car is getting it's 30,000 maintenance checkup at the dealer where I bought it. They just called me recommending I replace the transmission fluid, which they say is dirty. They recommend a "total fluid exchange" which is $190. They recommend something similar for the brake fluid, $119. I like my dealer, and have trusted them so far, but this just struck me as sounding a little absurd. Then again, I don't know much about cars.

How standard does this sound to you? Advice appreciated.

punkass 03-29-2007 12:39 PM

Re: Question about Car - 30,000 mile maintenance

I don't know squat about cars, but I'm gonna put it at 90% that it's BS. I'd say "Thanks for the suggestion. Please do the work I approved earlier only please."

Skoob 03-29-2007 12:42 PM

Where do you live?

What kind of driving do you do? (lots of hwy miles, lots of city miles, mixed?)

What kind of car is it?

West 03-29-2007 12:44 PM

Mazda 3, DC metropolitan area, most miles are on highway

Skoob 03-29-2007 12:50 PM

If it's a manual transmission, they are really screwing you (manuals don't have tranny fluid).

If it's an automatic, I doubt it's necessary. You're not in a dry, dusty climate and with most highway miles, the car isn't shifting gears as much as with city driving.

I can't imagine you would need the brake fluid changed yet.

If you can afford the work and you plan on keeping that car for a long time, it can't hurt.

If money is tight and/or it's a lease, I wouldn't bother.

I'm not a mechanic though...

Osprey 03-29-2007 12:51 PM

Pulled this off a Canadian Mazda dealer website:
This is the 48,000 Km maintenance schedule. I think your dealer is trying to screw you.

Schedule 3

Replace engine oil
Replace oil filter
Inspect function of all lights
Inspect brake and clutch fluid, power steering fluid, washer fluid and coolant level
Inspect tire inflation and tire wear
Lubricate all locks and hinges
Inspect disc brakes (front and rear) and lubricate caliper slide pins/rails
Inspect A/C operation
Inspect cooling system, pressure test cap and system for leaks
Inspect fuel lines and hoses
Inspect brake lines, hoses and connections
Inspect steering operation and linkage
Inspect suspension components front and rear including ball joints and driveshafts
Inspect driveshaft dust boots

Schedule 4

Replace engine oil
Replace oil filter
Inspect function of all lights
Inspect brake and clutch fluid, power steering fluid, washer fluid and coolant level
Inspect tire inflation and tire wear
Lubricate all locks and hinges
Inspect disc brakes (front and rear) and lubricate caliper slide pins/rails
Inspect A/C operation
Inspect cooling system, pressure test cap and system for leaks
Inspect fuel lines and hoses
Inspect brake lines, hoses and connections
Inspect steering operation and linkage
Inspect suspension components front and rear including ball joints and driveshafts
Inspect driveshaft dust boots
Inspect emission hoses and tubes

Additional operations

Every 56,000 km: Inspect drive belts tension
Every 56,000 km: Replace air cleaner element
Every 60 months / 72,000 km: Inspect exhaust system and heat shields
48 months / 96,000 km then every 24 months thereafter: Replace engine coolant
Every 120,000 km: Inspect valve clearance audibly, adjust if noisy

West 03-29-2007 12:53 PM

Mine's an automatic. I'm reading an article now that says it's normal to do the transmission fluid at 30,000, but says that brake fluid normally shouldn't need to be done unless your factory manual calls for it.

guids 03-29-2007 12:56 PM

Ya, theres nothing wrong with changing the transmission fluid, usually thats done at about 50k, but personally I do mine at every 30k, as transmission fluid gets dirty (it is really burnt), fairly quickly. 190$ is outrageous though.

brazilio 03-29-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's a manual transmission, they are really screwing you (manuals don't have tranny fluid).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes they do, most use the same hypoid oil that a differential uses. Some transmissions will use a closed system without oil exchange, if it's a front wheel drive the transmission and differential are linked and they'll use the same oil.

But this is an automatic. Personally I wouldn't mind changing the automatic transmission fluid but I'd never have a dealer do something this stupid.

Changing brake fluid is retarded.

Keep in mind dealers make their money by a roughly 100% markup on services any car place will provide. They do a "checkup" on the car and although they do a very thorough inspection and will find problems a shop likely wouldn't, they also are very likely to find "problems" that cost you a lot and don't make much difference as to how long the car will last. ie, doing a $2500 axle swap on an 80k mile vehicle that will need a new clutch and transmission in another 30k miles or little stuff like this.

West 03-29-2007 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, theres nothing wrong with changing the transmission fluid, usually thats done at about 50k, but personally I do mine at every 30k, as transmission fluid gets dirty (it is really burnt), fairly quickly. 190$ is outrageous though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I found a Mazda3 forum where a lot of people seem to be saying that the transmission fluid gets dirty quick on the 3s. No one talks about the brake fluid though.