Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Is it worth it to play in tournaments with re-buys, without rebuying? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536160)

sh1fty 11-01-2007 02:15 PM

Is it worth it to play in tournaments with re-buys, without rebuying?

I'm a micro limits player and have steered clear of anything past $4, because of the rebuys/addons. I have won a few $4, $3, $1 tourneys etc slowly building my bankroll. I would love to have a shot at some of these huge tourneys that are only $5 or like $10.

Rebuys and Addons scare me because as a micro limits player each $5 I lose is a reasonable amount of my bankroll. Does the ability to rebuy and add on your chips make players more aggressive, and do players just addon chips until they have such a huge advantage it's too hard to play with them off the bat?

nutshot2 11-01-2007 02:24 PM

Re: Is it worth it to play in tournaments with re-buys, without rebuyi

you can't play rebuy tournaments without having enough money to rebuy comfortably and always add-on

sh1fty 11-01-2007 02:44 PM

Do people just spend ridiculous amounts of money to add-on the second the start the tourney?

PujolsOfPokr 11-01-2007 03:03 PM

Well, it's not really ridiculous ammounts of money to add-on. It's just another buy-in.

If another buy-in to a given tournament is a 'ridiculous ammount of money', then you shouldn't be playing that tournament in the first place. Even if it's a freezeout.

redandblue 11-01-2007 03:16 PM

I created this thread about the topic. I think it might be profitable.

jtown1010 11-01-2007 03:22 PM

Sounds like a bad idea, but if you can adjust your play for the smaller rebuys well enough, it might not be that bad of an idea. I normally spend 4-5 buyins on the 3,5, and 10 rebuys playing very tight, but you have to loosen up your AIPF range a little if you want to build a 10K+ stack during the rebuy period. If you want to play optimally you really need to be able to double-rebuy 2-3 times on average, but I think playing the 3-10 rebuys on a smaller roll and only spending a buy-in or two is a great way for the smaller stakes guys to take a shot at a significant prizepool. Basically I wouldn't make this your main game unless you're significantly rolled for it, as the variance is so high in fields of 1K+, but it's a great place to take a shot. You could defiantely run well and build a 30K+ stack on 2 buyins, but you can also run poor and spend 10-12 buyins and only have a 5K stack after the rebuy period. I hope you're talking about Stars' smaller rebuys because I am.

NoahSD 11-01-2007 03:28 PM

If the rebuy sells chips for the same price or worse than the original buy-in, it's definitely worth it for a good player to play without rebuying.

Lots of online tourneys have add-ons that sell chips for cheap. Not taking this is just stupid.

Todd Terry 11-01-2007 04:13 PM

Re: Is it worth it to play in tournaments with re-buys, without rebuying?

I'm pretty sure the kid who won the WSOP $1K rebuy event this year did not rebuy at all, so it was worth it for him.

Dunkman 11-01-2007 06:45 PM

We've had this discussion a few times in the past, basically it's +EV (if you are a good player compared to the field) but the variance is insane.

doodydota 11-03-2007 06:19 PM

It is worth to rebuy when the table is loose, wild and crazy, which gives you good prospects to build a huge stack.

If the table is somewhat tightish and people make huge all-ins pf only with premium hands then it's probably not worth it.