Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   *****Official Les Miles Screws Over Michigan By Resigning With LSU**** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=558663)

heater 12-01-2007 03:24 PM

Re: Les Miles to Coach Michigan

CBS said that Bertman has stated that there is paperwork but nothing has been signed. Miles said a whole lot of nothing in that press conference. What a strange situation.

heater 12-01-2007 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he said "I don't want another job." Big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

He never said that. He said, "I don't want to talk to anybody else." Big difference there, too, really and I don't know exactly what him not really saying anything means.

Gregatron 12-01-2007 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CBS said that Bertman has stated that there is paperwork but nothing has been signed. Miles said a whole lot of nothing in that press conference. What a strange situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay we have different media outlets stressing different details. This is indeed interesting. ABC = ESPN so perhaps they are trying to be consistent in their emphases. Hmmm.

DVaut1 12-01-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol today is going to be a shitshow. Miles is either a total donk for not closing the door on the Michigan in the press conference, or he's an evil genius trying to squeeze every last penny out of LSU since the deal isn't signed yet. I'm leaning towards the latter.

heater 12-01-2007 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay we have different media outlets stressing different details. This is indeed interesting. ABC = ESPN so perhaps they are trying to be consistent in their emphases. Hmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

From ESPN's story:

"Coach Miles and the chancellor have already worked out a contract that they're happy with, but it hasn't been signed yet," Bertman said.

Riverman 12-01-2007 03:30 PM

Is it just assumed that Michigan won't/didn't offer a market contract ($2m+)?

DVaut1 12-01-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Carty and the Angelique Changellis or whoever are to be believed, Bill Martin never got a chance to talk to him.

SuperUberBob 12-01-2007 03:32 PM

Any chance that ESPN intentionally spread this misinformation to generate a breaking news story?

Seems to be a good way to create some interest and temporarily pop ratings up. Just a good old conspiracy theory.

DVaut1 12-01-2007 03:33 PM

Cmon Tennessee, let's get that LSU vs Michigan Capital One bowl!

orange 12-01-2007 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like Miles but don't LOVE him. While he is certainly suboptimal in his in game decision making, his batshit insanity makes up for this (he is so aggressive he sometimes makes the correct decision for the wrong reason -- and his apparent randomness in his decisions can simulate game theoretic optimality). However, he has kept the LSU program at a very high level, and it's hard to ask more of a coach than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

made me laugh alot since i agree with alot of it. i think that miles makes some very questionable calls/decisions in terms of clock management.

orange 12-01-2007 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cmon Tennessee, let's get that LSU vs Michigan Capital One bowl!

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] that i want it to be UF/illinois.

heater 12-01-2007 03:33 PM

I watched yesterday's press conference and Miles said that he would be speaking to Michigan after the SEC title game.

How the [censored] does this happen with Herbstreit kicking it off on Gameday this morning? I thought Desmond was part of the search committee??? Herbie wouldn't run with this without at least talking to Desmond, right? And wouldn't Desmond deny that it was a done deal because nobody involved wanted this story to break today? The whole thing makes no sense.

heater 12-01-2007 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Martin said last week that Michigan was willing to pay top dollar for it's next head coach and that doing so was something that would be a "culture change" for Michigan.

MicroBob 12-01-2007 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bo was a Miami, Ohio man

[/ QUOTE ]

Cradle of Coaches FTW!!!
FWIW, Woody was a Miami, Ohio guy too.
Bo was a senior at Miami when Woody took over for Sid Gillman as head-coach.

Bo served as an asst to Woody at Ohio State but then went back to Miami as head coach from 63-68 and THEN took the Michigan job in 68.

Bo did not go directly from OSU to Michigan.

BigSoonerFan 12-01-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any chance that ESPN intentionally spread this misinformation to generate a breaking news story?

Seems to be a good way to create some interest and temporarily pop ratings up. Just a good old conspiracy theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance Les Miles was the ESPN "source", so he could get a better extension? :-)

MyTurn2Raise 12-01-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance Les Miles was the ESPN "source", so he could get a better extension? :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a Bill Self type move

Riverman 12-01-2007 04:00 PM

Each Les press conference makes me hope he isn't our next coach more. He sounds retarded.

TruFloridaGator 12-01-2007 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a Bill Self type move

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly

TruFloridaGator 12-01-2007 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Each Les press conference makes me hope he isn't our next coach more. He sounds retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

He makes most SEC fans very happy by staying. It's not like he is some amazing recruiter, the school recruits itself & they have almost complete control on a good High School football state. Not that I like looking at rankings in recruiting, but they have 20 guys this year & not a bunch of highly rated ones. Not impressed. They have the 2nd lowest rating per player in the top 15 on Rivals.

Dids 12-01-2007 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

ESPN claiming it broke the initial Miles to LSU story is a joke. mgoblog and others had it yesterday.

MacGuyV 12-01-2007 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, he has kept the LSU program at a very high level, and it's hard to ask more of a coach than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I'm amazed that anyone wouldn't want him because of clock/game management. You have to grade that stuff on a curve since most coaches at every level suck at it. It's not like LSU is such an unreal program that they have to be an elite team every year.

Dids 12-01-2007 04:28 PM

Outside looking in, the talent that LSU gets more than makes up for Les's weird in-game decisions.

Annulus 12-01-2007 04:30 PM

this whole thing is so weird. i just read an article at the Det free press that says Mich. reps and Les Miles reps had gone so far as discussing salary and staff, and then the LSU ad says Miles was never interested in Mich. wtf. sounds pretty interested to me.

i don't undestand why im having some hurt feelings right now. i wanted Les Miles here at Mich. although i truly beleive he is not a great coach, isn't that kind of weird? lol.

damaniac 12-01-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, he has kept the LSU program at a very high level, and it's hard to ask more of a coach than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I'm amazed that anyone wouldn't want him because of clock/game management. You have to grade that stuff on a curve since most coaches at every level suck at it. It's not like LSU is such an unreal program that they have to be an elite team every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I've made this point before, but 1) almost everyone screws up so it's not a great point to distinguish coaches and 2) it's a very very small part of coaching. It's very easy to evaluate, but it's much less important than playcalling, scheme, recruiting, and player development, the last of which in particular is quite hard for us to judge. But instead of saying "there's a lot that's hard to figure out", we just say "he did a bad thing in this one small area so he sucks" because we're sooper-smrt geniuses who know everything.

Not saying fans can't legitimately critique football decisions, but OTOH there's a lot of things we don't know or can't judge well and we should acknowledge it.

Gregatron 12-01-2007 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He makes most SEC fans very happy by staying. It's not like he is some amazing recruiter, the school recruits itself & they have almost complete control on a good High School football state. Not that I like looking at rankings in recruiting, but they have 20 guys this year & not a bunch of highly rated ones. Not impressed. They have the 2nd lowest rating per player in the top 15 on Rivals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Translation: they have the number 14 rated recruiting class according to rivals.

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Annulus 12-01-2007 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

on the plus side Miles is creative, aggressive, an excellent recruitor and good motivator. i always felt like if he came to Mich. we could improve some of his game theory stuff like game plan and time managment. im sure Lloyd would still be around. he basically brings all the components of coaching that Mich. is missing.

damaniac 12-01-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Translation: they have the number 14 rated recruiting class according to rivals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, so he's bad because he's going 10-2 with insane talent AND he sucks because he can't recruit that well (but is going 10-2 anyway)? I know you might not be saying both things but they're out there so...these aren't both right.

damaniac 12-01-2007 04:43 PM

Other than the culture of violence thing, is there a reason Brian Kelly's name isn't coming up more in "official" circles?

Gregatron 12-01-2007 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Right, I've made this point before, but 1) almost everyone screws up so it's not a great point to distinguish coaches and 2) it's a very very small part of coaching. It's very easy to evaluate, but it's much less important than playcalling, scheme, recruiting, and player development, the last of which in particular is quite hard for us to judge. But instead of saying "there's a lot that's hard to figure out", we just say "he did a bad thing in this one small area so he sucks" because we're sooper-smrt geniuses who know everything.

Not saying fans can't legitimately critique football decisions, but OTOH there's a lot of things we don't know or can't judge well and we should acknowledge it.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. Good thoughts. I agree 100%. That is why I think Les Miles is a GOOD coach (though not a great one), and if he does stay at LSU, I will be happy.

Taking a team that whose lives had been totally disrupted by two huge bitches in 2005 (Katrina and Rita), and still pulling off a GOOD 2 loss season, and a very convincing victory over Miami in the Peach Bowl -- that was just a damn fine coaching job IMO.

And TFG: You should know that LSU is poaching Gator recruiting territory in Florida. We are also starting to take over East Texas. Yes, Miles is a very fine recruiter.

DVaut1 12-01-2007 04:44 PM

The thing I don't understand about this entire affair is where Herbstreit got his info. It sure doesn't sound like something the Michigan AD would ever do. They *usually* run a much tighter ship than that. It's unfortunate, too, because it makes it look all the more embarrassing for Michigan. It *looks like* we offered Miles, he accepted, information became public, he got pissed (or LSU dumped even more $$$ on him) and did a U-turn. But I really doubt that's the case, especially if you believe Carty and the other Michigan beat writers who claim Martin never talked to Miles.

I realize there's so much behind-the-scenes stuff we never see. But the 'agreement' and the Herbstreit leak are not at all within the character of this athletic department. You'd have to think Herbstreit (if he's going to announce on GameDay like that with so much certainty) got his info from one of three camps: Michigan AD, LSU AD, or Miles's camp. But it just doesn't sound like something the Michigan AD would do. Maybe I'm wrong.

I suppose Occam's razor would suggest that Herbstreit isn't any kind of journalist and probably just reported [censored] he heard from someone not at all close to the situation.

Austiger 12-01-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They also have the worst class among the top 14.

Annulus 12-01-2007 04:47 PM

so now we are back to ferentz? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Gregatron 12-01-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They also have the worst class among the top 14.

[/ QUOTE ]
However, among classes not ranked in the top 13, we have the best recruiting class.

It's good to clear these things up.

damaniac 12-01-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so now we are back to ferentz? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably should just ignore things MSM is reporting as far as rumors. Not a good track record today.

I say we give up, go Ivy, and say "gg college athletics". If we're going to half-ass this crap then why bother? Pay top dollar, don't mess around, or go home.

heater 12-01-2007 04:51 PM

Okay. CBS just aired a quick talk between their interview chick and Les Miles that happened after the press conference. He said again, "I'm the coach at LSU, I'm going to be the coach at LSU." She said, "Next year?" and he said, "Yes, I'm going to be the coach at LSU next year."

I guess that's that.

barryc83 12-01-2007 04:51 PM

Did any Michigan fans even want Les Miles?

DVaut1 12-01-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say we give up, go Ivy, and say "gg college athletics". If we're going to half-ass this crap then why bother? Pay top dollar, don't mess around, or go home.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we hired DeBord or Ferentz, this isn't a bad idea.

I still <3 the hockey program. Last night's game not so much though.

Riverman 12-01-2007 04:53 PM

Total hijack, but UM hockey games at Yost are effing awesome.

Gregatron 12-01-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay. CBS just aired a quick talk between their interview chick and Les Miles that happened after the press conference. He said again, "I'm the coach at LSU, I'm going to be the coach at LSU." She said, "Next year?" and he said, "Yes, I'm going to be the coach at LSU next year."

I guess that's that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Their bowl game should be next year. Technically. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

DVaut1 12-01-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did any Michigan fans even want Les Miles?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the oft-stated alternatives...yes

If it were between Stoops, Spurrier, Meyer, and Miles, obviously Miles is 4th on the list.

If it's between Ferentz, DeBord, English and Miles...then Miles is 1st on the list.

Unfortunately for Michigan fans, the 2nd list of potential candidates is the one being bandied about.

Brian Kelly one time please.