Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   "buffoonery by blacks whitening NFL" article by Jason Whitlock (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=525941)

Dominic 10-18-2007 04:30 PM

\"buffoonery by blacks whitening NFL\" article by Jason Whitlock

NFL article

The writer postulates that antics and attitudes of hip-hop culture blacks are ruining the strides that blacks have made over the last 40 years in the NFL.

He points to Larry Johnson and Chad Johnson's antics last week, as well as mentioning that two of the most successful franchises in recent years (the Colts and Pats) have the least number of blacks on the team.

Let's be clear, he's not saying race causes the attitude problem, but culture does. And most young black men these days are influenced by hip-hop culture.

what say you?

Franchise 60 10-18-2007 04:33 PM

Re: \"buffoonery by blacks whitening NFL\" article by Jason Whitlock

Didn't read the article yet, will soon, but Whitlock doesn't [censored] around and is a very good/honest writer.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-18-2007 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you count rookie receiver Anthony Gonzalez, the Colts opened the season with an NFL-high 24 white players on their 53-man roster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hispanic, white, whatever!

MCS 10-18-2007 04:40 PM

Random thoughts: Whitlock loves calling people "bojanglers." I agree with him that Chad Johnson (whose antics I usually enjoy) gets a free pass on a ton of bad-teammate stuff, and I agree that Larry Johnson is a selfish [censored]. I don't think of Hispanics as white and I don't think mainstream America does either.

Overall thoughts: I do not see any real explanation of how this is reflective of "hip-hop culture." Why is Chad Johnson more hip-hop than Vince Young or Adrian Peterson? I like a lot of stuff Whitlock does, but I wonder to what degree he's pandering to white America himself when he write articles with premises as shaky as this.

MuresanForMVP 10-18-2007 04:46 PM

"Whitlock is clearly racist.... wait, what's that you're saying? He's black? Well [censored]..."

-NAACP, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson

WayAbvPar 10-18-2007 04:47 PM

Wake me up when Whitlock writes anything remotely interesting that doesn't bring up race in the first 2 paragraphs. He is a myopic hack.

youtalkfunny 10-18-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's be clear, he's not saying race causes the attitude problem, but culture does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stopped trying to make that distinction, because I get called "racist" every time I try. I'm accused of only liking the black people who "act white".

(Hell, Bill Cosby tried making the same point a few years back, and he got blistered for it.)

The topic is too explosive, so I just keep my mouth shut. Of course, if I was trying to sell newspapers, I'd have a reason to jump back into the fray.

vhawk01 10-18-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you count rookie receiver Anthony Gonzalez, the Colts opened the season with an NFL-high 24 white players on their 53-man roster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hispanic, white, whatever!

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of? For a long time (and maybe still) many applications and forms would list the options as "hispanic white" and "non-hispanic white." Or maybe Caucasian instead of white, depending on the form.

MacGuyV 10-18-2007 04:51 PM

Isn't Whitlock a notorious "race card" guy? I've never thought of him as pandering to white America. He once accused Jack Del Rio of keeping Girrard around as the backup for the sole purpose of taking pressure off of Leftwich in a white city.

Sometimes it does make me think when somebody brings up: "white guy gets a free pass for these antics but black guy doesn't". But yah, everyone loves Ocho Cinco for some reason, which I think shoots those theories down to an extent. I guess that's a good thing in a way.

MCS 10-18-2007 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Whitlock a notorious "race card" guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

He talks about race a lot. I hate the phrase "race card," but yes, he gets accused of this.

[ QUOTE ]
I've never thought of him as pandering to white America.

[/ QUOTE ]

He usually doesn't, and as you point out, it's often sort of the opposite. But he doesn't pull a lot of punches and a lot of people loved his stuff post-Imus ("Imus isn't the Real Bad Guy") and his NBA All-Star column within which he discussed the "black KKK."

This struck me as a really forced piece where he just decided to blast hip-hop with no real substance.

prohornblower 10-18-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Whitlock is clearly racist.... wait, what's that you're saying? He's black? Well [censored]..."

-NAACP, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. I agree.

UATrewqaz 10-18-2007 05:07 PM

"hip-hop culture" hurts everyone who practices it in all areas of life, be it sports or anything else.

by "hip-hop culture" I mean - guns, violence, drugs, and pointless displays of wealth are cool! Education and being respectful to others is selling out!

Not a recipe for a happy or productive life for anyone.

Jack Bando 10-18-2007 05:18 PM

Isn't hip-hop records mostly bought by whites? (I remember reading that somewhere)

I think it's more just where people grow up and who they're with. "Hmm, all my friends have guns and I get payed millions to play a game. I think I'll take them to a strip club and start trouble."

ThaSaltCracka 10-18-2007 05:21 PM

I don't see the connection between hip hop culture and black athletes acting stupid.

I do see a connection between immature grown men, who get paid millions and have massive ego's and acting stupid.

kidcolin 10-18-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't read the article yet, will soon, but Whitlock doesn't [censored] around and is a very good/honest writer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. I haven't read it yet either, though. I just like Whitlock, even though I don't always agree with him.

Franchise 60 10-18-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't hip-hop records mostly bought by whites? (I remember reading that somewhere)

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when do people buy music?

kidcolin 10-18-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Whitlock a notorious "race card" guy? I've never thought of him as pandering to white America. He once accused Jack Del Rio of keeping Girrard around as the backup for the sole purpose of taking pressure off of Leftwich in a white city.

Sometimes it does make me think when somebody brings up: "white guy gets a free pass for these antics but black guy doesn't". But yah, everyone loves Ocho Cinco for some reason, which I think shoots those theories down to an extent. I guess that's a good thing in a way.

[/ QUOTE ]

He writes about race constantly. He's not so much of a sports columnist as he is a culture commentator and sports is his chosen avenue to explore that. He's said as much.

He is not a big "race card" guy though. He's extremely critical of black america. He's knocked Scoop Jackson (which is like slow pitch softball), criticized blacks' response to the Jena 6 stuff going on, etc etc.

UATrewqaz 10-18-2007 05:31 PM

Um, you don't see a connection with the ways they choose to act stupid and hip hop culture?

Guns, strip clubs, dog fighting, etc?

Rich athletes acting stupid is not new, rich people do alot of dumb things, but the the specific dumb things these athletes are choosing to do looks like the run down of a good rap video.

hoyasnaxa 10-18-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when do people buy music?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can buy music?!?!

ThaSaltCracka 10-18-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, you don't see a connection with the ways they choose to act stupid and hip hop culture?

[/ QUOTE ]This is really really dumb. Seriously.

Levarkin 10-18-2007 05:34 PM

"Um, you don't see a connection with the ways they choose to act stupid and hip hop culture?"

Connection? Maybe. Causation? That's quite a stretch.

UATrewqaz 10-18-2007 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just checked your bio and I understand now..

"slappin hos and slamming cadillac doors. Don't even think about scuffing this Cracka's Now and Later Gators."

You think hip hop is cool...

That's really really dumb. Seriously.

Continue to "keep it real."

ThaSaltCracka 10-18-2007 05:40 PM

its a joke.

You for some reason think Hip Hop Culture=Dog Fights and Strip Clubs which is [censored] stupid.

NajdorfDefense 10-18-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. I haven't read it yet either, though. I just like Whitlock, even though I don't always agree with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

kidcolin 10-18-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really, though. Grossly simplified? Sure. But someone like Pacman's problems are readily identifiable as actions glorified in mainstream hip-hop culture (in case someone busts out some KRS-One definition of hip-hop culture, which is all fine and good imo).

I read the article. I liked it, but found the connections to hip hop culture a little weak. Agreed with his points about Chad and Larry. Can't understand why Lewis coddles Chad at all.

Levarkin 10-18-2007 05:42 PM

It's hard to take Whitlock seriously when he's writing stuff like this:

"Football fans are aware of Lewis' love affair with Chad Johnson, the Flavor Flav of the gridiron. Johnson's insistence on conducting a minstrel show during games has long been reluctantly tolerated by Lewis."

Like his "Black KKK" comment, Whitlock is just trying to stir things up an attract attention by calling Johnson's antics "a minstrel show". He celebrates. He makes a bit of an ass of himself, perhaps. But why is putting on a "HOF 200?" blazer indicative of the corrupting influence of hip hop culture? It's not.

Integrating football players with Whitlock's great nemesis, the "hip hop culture", is so forced here. Whitlock brings no insight, just controversy by stepping so far over the line as to be ridiculous. Were he concerned with improving race relations in sport rather than getting his columns talked about not a word would be the same.

Levarkin 10-18-2007 05:45 PM

"On Sunday, with the Bengals trying to rally out of a two-score deficit, Johnson failed to finish a pass route, which contributed to Carson Palmer throwing an interception."

Man, when will Chad stop spouting rhymes in the middle of games and just run his routes? Save this man from Jay-Z.

ThaSaltCracka 10-18-2007 05:47 PM

I think Whitlock has a point that a certain group of players could potentially ruin it for everyone, I just find the connection to hip hop culture a massive stretch.

Needle77 10-18-2007 05:50 PM

Christ, the Jaguars must be screwed, I can't name 10 white people on the team. Hell, last year they had 3 BLACK QB'S!!! Oh man...

Levarkin 10-18-2007 05:52 PM

"Christ, the Jaguars must be screwed, I can't name 10 white people on the team. Hell, last year they had 3 BLACK QB'S!!! Oh man..."

Yeah. I would like to see blackness of roster correlated with winning percentage. Until then, it really feels like Whitlock is cherry picking.

craig 10-18-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its a joke.

You for some reason think Hip Hop Culture=Dog Fights and Strip Clubs which is [censored] stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this was completely true (which it isn't), what makes non-hip-hop culture better? Pretty certain these 'hip-hop' values being discussed in other posts not only happen in other cultures in the U.S., but on a much larger (and accepted) scale.

craig

Levarkin 10-18-2007 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if this was completely true (which it isn't), what makes non-hip-hop culture better? Pretty certain these 'hip-hop' values being discussed in other posts not only happen in other cultures in the U.S., but on a much larger (and accepted) scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Last time I was in a strip club it wasn't exactly like a Nelly video in there.

craig 10-18-2007 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed. Last time I was in a strip club it wasn't exactly like a Nelly video in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget the hip-hop kids in the majority of the school shootings. Those neighborhoods look tough!!

craig

Dids 10-18-2007 06:02 PM

Whitlock's whole [censored] is being that cutting edge black guy who [censored] on black people. The fact that he's black doesn't change the fact that he shounds like an out of touch 60 year old white d-bag.

Jack of Arcades 10-18-2007 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by "hip-hop culture" I mean - guns, violence, drugs, and pointless displays of wealth are cool! Education and being respectful to others is selling out!

[/ QUOTE ]

As an educator, I can see where a lot of the sentiment for "education = selling out." Schools really try to break minorities and make them into nice little white people.

Levarkin 10-18-2007 06:05 PM

A good rebuttal of Whitlock from Dave Zirin. Not about this article specifically, but it might as well be, since Whitlock has said nothing original in it.

kidcolin 10-18-2007 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As an educator, I can see where a lot of the sentiment for "education = selling out." Schools really try to break minorities and make them into nice little white people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain please? Sounds interesting. Obviously your experiences in Louisiana will be vastly different than anything I've seen. I'm just curious how education tries to 'whiten' the minorities.

RacersEdge 10-18-2007 06:24 PM

Nothing really earth-shattering in this article - always thought players like Chad Johnson/Larry Johnson were garbage for their team. I don't know if it's because of hip-hop - just more about selfish immature players. Surprised he didn't mention Joey Porter after his gang-style beating of Levi Jones in Vegas.

Sidenote that relates to this article - a quote I saw from Porter describing the Colts and why he doesn't like their style: "They don't want to just sit there, line up and play football. They want to try to catch you off guard. They don't want to play smash-mouth football, they want to trick you with candy and bring you into their car and lock all the doors. ...They want to catch you substituting. Know what I mean? They don't want to just call a play, get up there and run a play. They want to make you think. They want it to be a thinking game instead of a football game."

Glad the Steelers dumped him.

Jack of Arcades 10-18-2007 06:26 PM

It's a bit off topics, but sure.

It isn't a malicious or even conscious thing on the parts of educators. The cultures are different, but many educators don't realize the extent to how it's different.

The basic idea is that the dominant culture of whites values individualism and competitiveness, while the culture of most minorities (typically Blacks, Hispanics, and American Indians) focus on cooperation. So students from these cultures have to adopt different attitudes every time they step into a classroom. Those that don't are thought of as abnormal. This can lead to lower self-esteem and lower expectations from teachers, which in turn leads to lower performance. Educators are also likely to think something is wrong medically with these types of thoughts, which is a large percentage of black males are in special education.

This also has instructional implications, as the majority of instruction is teacher driven, individual work courses while students from these cultures learn better in student-driven, group-work courses.

For a counterexample, Asian students thrive in this sort of culture.

Triumph36 10-18-2007 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Rich athletes acting stupid is not new, rich people do alot of dumb things, but the the specific dumb things these athletes are choosing to do looks like the run down of a good rap video.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol yea dog fighting was invented by rappers