Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   mass effect (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=543641)

ThaSaltCracka 11-27-2007 02:34 PM

Re: mass effect

12.5 hours in, don't think I am close. Been doing a lot of side quests and landing on other planets.

Dire 11-27-2007 03:29 PM

I'm about 15 hours in and haven't done anything related to the main quest since I left the citadel. And I still have only explored just a fraction of all the planets there are. I'm really just enjoying the game and exploring all it has to offer.

Berge20 11-27-2007 03:44 PM

edit: potential spoiler in white.

<font color="white">Bez just demolished me on my first encounter. It wasn't even close. Ha</font>

goofyballer 11-27-2007 04:03 PM

^ = spoiler imo plz white out (since I think I know the character you're talking about but have no idea you fight them later)

Beavis68 11-27-2007 04:37 PM

what kind of system do you need to play this decently? i have an E6700, 2GB DDR2 800 and a 7600GS.

dibbs 11-27-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of system do you need to play this decently? i have an E6700, 2GB DDR2 800 and a 7600GS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need an Xbox 360.

ThaSaltCracka 11-27-2007 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="white"> Bez just demolished me on my first encounter. It wasn't even close. Ha </font>

[/ QUOTE ]took me a few tries, very tricky.

Have to stick and move, I went to the right after stopping the first wave. If you have a biotic, Stasis helps on that person.

zyrrth 11-27-2007 05:17 PM

are you guys playing on veteran? i won that battle the first time i played it and i play combat basically the way i play gears of war without telling my party what to do.

ThaSaltCracka 11-27-2007 05:47 PM

could depend on your character type.

RiverFenix 11-27-2007 07:44 PM

Took me 40 hours to beat the game all in all. Finished at level 49 w/ every quest complete except for the pointless find minerals one.

I'm going to put this one aside for a week and then come back and try to beat it real quick as a renegade. Awesome game will def be buying the rest of the trilogy.

ThaSaltCracka 11-27-2007 09:34 PM

the minerals get you xp!

xxrod17xx 11-28-2007 12:28 AM

I have been playing this a lot just beating the side missions to pass time and not beat the game too quickly, but I came into a bit of a problem. One one of the assignments is the "Fan" one. I am suppose to talk to a guy somewhere in the Citadel but I cant find him. I talked to a fan and gave him an autograph, but I think this is what triggered the assignment. Thoughts ideas?

xxrod17xx 11-28-2007 12:29 AM

Also the easiest way to get money is to just survey all the planets in the systems you are traveling through. It gives you xp and cash...makes purchasing anything easy I had 500K before I even really started playing the actual storyline.

Shaqizzle 11-28-2007 02:11 AM

Side quest :The Fan is one you do over a length of time, check back after you do your next main storyline mission or side quest one.

goofyballer 11-28-2007 06:23 AM

Yeah, for the fan leave the Citadel and then come back.

One thing which is starting to get on my nerves is how slow first aid is to respond. If I suddenly find myself getting shot at from 20 different angles and my shields get depleted, I'm basically dead, because by the time I can use first aid and whip out a Shield Boost I'm [censored] dead and it's time to load up the old saved game.

Also irritating that if I'm not on top of saving after every battle I have to replay long portions of the game if I die. Autosave intervals could have been decreased by a lot.

That said, I can't stop playing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] In the middle of the Noveria mission, holy crap that's long.

reo 11-28-2007 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Took me 40 hours to beat the game all in all. Finished at level 49 w/ every quest complete except for the pointless find minerals one.

I'm going to put this one aside for a week and then come back and try to beat it real quick as a renegade. Awesome game will def be buying the rest of the trilogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the achievement for level 60 must be on veteran then . . .

zyrrth 11-28-2007 08:56 AM

http://kotaku.com/gaming/bioware/did...and-327105.php

there's one mild spoiler about an event on Virmire so it might be better to read it after finishing the planet.

Daer 11-28-2007 10:30 AM

I'm at exactly the 25 hour mark and just finished all the side quests. I'm about to start the main quests at lvl 31 with 1.7 million creds. It'll be nice to start the main quests with my main talents maxed out and Spectre weapons.

Surveying is an excellent way to get money, look around on planets you land on, there are usually 2-3 unmarked survey nodes on each.

Berge20 11-28-2007 10:59 AM

I just now realized that the elevator on the ship takes you down to the lower decks and not up to the main one....

This is after 25 hours of play. I wondered why the ship was so small.

ThaSaltCracka 11-28-2007 12:01 PM

Yeah, spit game at the honey in the bottom.

Daer, good call man. I haven't done all the side quests, but I have done a good portion. I believe my Character is around lvl 30, and I finally got to Virmire.

The money part of this game is fairly stupid, as is the store aspect. I've basically barely used both thus far.

goofyballer 11-28-2007 04:06 PM

I asked Ashley if she'd kiss me if I ordered her to and she said it was against Alliance regulations and she'd have to report me and then relieve me of command. Even in video games I get rejected. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My overall impression so far is that this hasn't really lived up to the hype - which isn't to say that it's not a great game by any means. It just has a lot of design flaws, stuff that has pretty much all been mentioned in this thread. On their own they're pretty minor but the number of them add up to keep the gaming experience from being completely seamless.

BioWare will probably do a good job of addressing them by the time the next one comes out though.

I've done about 10 hours and I've done maybe 1/2 the side quests (almost all the ones on the Citadel, just a couple off-world), Artemis Tau, and am in the middle of Noveria. Seems like the game won't be quite Oblivion-length, but is definitely pretty meaty.

ThaSaltCracka 11-28-2007 04:39 PM

Goofy, I noticed you picked Inflitrator as well. I noticed on gamespots guide that its not recommended to pick a tech player, but I haven't had any issues. My pistol works pretty damn well, and being able to snipe has helped me for sure on several levels.

Whenever I do this again, I am thinking of trying a vanguard, because Biotic/Combat seems best IMO.

Also, I agree with you on some of the glitches, a tad annoying. However I have gotten use to them, so they don't bother me much, but I whenever I go play something like Halo3 or CoD4 then go back, it will probably bug the [censored] out of me.

goofyballer 11-28-2007 05:12 PM

I like my choice so far. Why would you not pick a tech character, because you can just take the Quarian or Garrus with you instead and get the same bonuses? The pistol and sniper rifle are great.

(fwiw, when you're interacting with some object out in the field, then the highest skill of anyone in your party is used, instead of just Shepherd's, right?)

Also, one other thing that irritates me is when enemies rush you in combat. You're supposed to utilize the whole cover thing, but when some dude runs up to you then cover is entirely irrelevant and it feels like a clunky FPS (not to mention that leaving your cover to fight the up close dude exposes you to everyone else shooting at you).

RiverFenix 11-28-2007 05:54 PM

Goofy thats why you gotta jack them up w/ singularity, lift, throw, or stasis before they get in close. Doesn't hurt when you know a battle is ahead to position your guys in cover, run out w/ barrier up and draw them back to your position.

Dire 11-28-2007 06:16 PM

I'm also playing as an infiltrator and loving it. The sniper rifle is just so much fun and really useful. Something neat that took me a little while to find out is that when you have the sniper equipped and are in combat mode hugging a wall, when you pop out from behind the wall - there's no 'floating' of your scope. It's smooth and ready to shoot. Makes it easy and fun to use the sniper even in mid/semi-close combat.

Also, when guys rush in - if you shoot at point blank range, you do a mellee which often knocks them down. And like RiverFenix said, the singularity/left/etc also do a great job of getting them away from you as well.

The only thing that has me down in this game is that the items seem to scale to your level and are very generic (at least from what I've seen). It's not like you can go on some super hard side quest and pick up a cool unique item. You'll just Scorpion Armor version 5, 6 or whatever depending on your level. Will have to play more to see if this stays true, but so far there's very little creativity in the type of items/rewards you can get.

zyrrth 11-28-2007 06:38 PM

why didn't anybody tell me that you need the 1mio credits to unlock spectre gear? no more turning stuff into omni gel

ThaSaltCracka 11-28-2007 07:11 PM

Eh, omni gel does come in handy, plus you get [censored] for selling stuff. My personal opinion, you are probably better off doing side quests and surveying for minerals/gasses.

RiverFenix 11-28-2007 07:59 PM

I couldnt resist and started again w/ old character. Wow renegade is so much more fun. Already knocked out a scientist and pulled a gun on the farmers and just 5 min into Eden Prime.

zyrrth 11-28-2007 09:05 PM

just got the 1mio credits chievement by selling stuff

zyrrth 11-28-2007 11:57 PM

just finished the last mission, ending is ok but i was expecting some fallout style end showing the consequences of your decisions, didn't happen :/

pr0crast 11-29-2007 03:07 AM

I love that you can beat this game in 9 hours if you want. I just beat it... awesome game, and I'm really glad it didn't turn into another huuuuge time waster... though for some of you who are into that, I can def see how you could drag the game out for 40+ hours.

ThaSaltCracka 11-29-2007 11:58 AM

Yeah, I think the 9 hour main campaign was made that short on purpose so people are more likely to play through multiple times.

Man, this game really does have several TOUGH decisions.

Grinding2Ecstasy 11-29-2007 12:49 PM

one of the little touches I love in this game, when youre walking around the citadel, sometimes you will overheard two people having a conversation. I've heard at least 3 diff conversations by the people on the bench outside Presidium for example. Just adds a lot of depth. Also I like chatting with my squad, particularly the Krogan, its neat how they will often comment on the specific area you're in.

ADK 11-29-2007 01:42 PM

mm is it just me or does vanguard and soldier have exact same skills etc? i just restarted as vanguard and cant notice any difference

zyrrth 11-29-2007 01:54 PM

vanguard doesn't have assault rifle and heavy armor but gets some biotic talents like warp and throw.

Just started my 2nd playthrough with a male shepard vanguard with assault rifle as a bonus talent. This time I'm gonna take all renegade points instead of being reasonable every once in a while.

Berge20 11-29-2007 04:28 PM

bonus talent?

zyrrth 11-29-2007 05:51 PM

After getting the 'kill 150 enemies with xxx' achievement you can pick that talent with any class if you create a new character. You could for example have a soldier with 'warp' or a vanguard with 'assault rifle'. I don't know if you only get one bonus talent tho.

reo 11-29-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why didn't anybody tell me that you need the 1mio credits to unlock spectre gear?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do I go to buy Spectre gear? I just unloaded a ton of gear. Over a million credits . . .

My current status?

Level 31 Soldier

Completed:

- Styx Theta
- Hawking Eta
- Noveria
- Feros
- Maroon Sea

EDIT: I found the merchant on the Normandy for Spectre weapons.

OMFG SPECTRE WEAPONS FTW!

ThaSaltCracka 11-29-2007 07:19 PM

Yeah I just bought some of the Spectre weapons, but I haven't been able to try them out yet.

RiverFenix 11-29-2007 09:41 PM

Wait until you get Specter X weapons. Hot.