Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   mass effect (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=543641)

ADK 11-11-2007 02:20 PM

mass effect

whats the big deal about this game? everyone is raving about it and really overhyping it.. i watched some videos and dont see what the fuss is about

anyone want to explain? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

nutsflopper 11-11-2007 02:21 PM

Re: mass effect

It's like halo 3 for dorks

ADK 11-11-2007 02:25 PM

halo 3 is really crap though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

chuckleslovakian 11-11-2007 02:34 PM

play Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, Jade Empire, and then the answer becomes clear

nutsflopper 11-11-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
halo 3 is really crap though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

chuckleslovakian 11-11-2007 02:48 PM

As for an actual answer, a large part of the fun in Mass Effect will come from the choices the game forces you to make and the consequences they cause in the game world. Also a grand story and a good cast of characters are also standard for Bioware RPGs. Things that can not be shown in videos. But seriously, all those other games I mentioned earlier should be dirt cheap and are all rpg classics

Number27 11-11-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for an actual answer, a large part of the fun in Mass Effect will come from the choices the game forces you to make and the consequences they cause in the game world. Also a grand story and a good cast of characters are also standard for Bioware RPGs. Things that can not be shown in videos. But seriously, all those other games I mentioned earlier should be dirt cheap and are all rpg classics

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually replaying Jade Empire right now. I wish I could save the whole thing to the HD and get rid of the load time.

Dire 11-11-2007 03:52 PM

Pretty much impossible to do an RPG justice in a screenshot, or even a short video/demo. Like others said, try out some of the other Bioware RPGs and you can get a pretty good feel for their style.

zyrrth 11-11-2007 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats the big deal about this game?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's the new bioware rpg

jah7_fsu1 11-12-2007 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whats the big deal about this game?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
it's the new bioware rpg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the last console game released by them got a a 9.9 on IGN it's a pretty big deal on who it's coming from alone.

ThaSaltCracka 11-12-2007 03:06 AM

I wish they would make something like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the 360. That game [censored] ruled.

AceLuby 11-12-2007 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish they would make something like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the 360. That game [censored] ruled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked it, but it was so damn short and WAY too easy IMO. If they made it like 10 times longer w/ the ability to actually have so customizability it would be a great game.

These guys put out such sick games. I can't wait for this to come out. Between this and Assassins Creed I'm not going to have a life.

Tinga 11-12-2007 11:39 AM

some k-marts have broken street date for this game, if anyone is interested in picking this up early.

YMMV

Dire 11-12-2007 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked it, but it was so damn short and WAY too easy IMO. If they made it like 10 times longer w/ the ability to actually have so customizability it would be a great game.

These guys put out such sick games. I can't wait for this to come out. Between this and Assassins Creed I'm not going to have a life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking of the right game? Dark Alliance was very challenging on hard, and one of the most challenging games I've played on the insane difficulty unlocked after Drizzit's minigame - especially if you start out a new character. It was also a reasonable length game, with a ton of replayability. You might be thinking of the sequel. It was short, easy, bland characters with lame skills, bland story and it lost all the fun gameplay of the original.

In any case, none of those games were developed by Bioware. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were developed by Bioware, and only published by Black Isle. Dark Alliance 1 was developed by Snowblind Studios. Dark Alliance 2 was developed by an 'unknown' internal studio from Black Isle apparently an experiment with 'streamlined' development - that didn't turn out so hot. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

AceLuby 11-12-2007 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking of the right game? Dark Alliance was very challenging on hard, and one of the most challenging games I've played on the insane difficulty unlocked after Drizzit's minigame - especially if you start out a new character. It was also a reasonable length. You might be thinking of the sequel. It was short, easy, bland characters with lame skills, bland story and it lost all the fun gameplay of the original.

In any case, none of those games were developed by Bioware. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were developed by Bioware, and only published by Black Isle. Dark Alliance 1 was developed by Snowblind Studios. Dark Alliance 2 was developed by an 'unknown' internal studio from Black Isle apparently an experiment with 'streamlined' development - that didn't turn out so hot. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I could be mistaken. The one I played was on the PS2 and was reasonably fun w/ two players, but was really easy and short (about 3 hrs to beat the game, WTF???). Were the other games only released on PC?

ThaSaltCracka 11-12-2007 05:11 PM

Dark Alliance took me and one other person probably close to 20hrs to beat. Maybe even more time.

DonkeyKongSr 11-12-2007 05:23 PM

I can't find the review, but according to gamerankings.com there's one review in so far from Gameinformer, a 9.75.

McFatSauce 11-12-2007 06:50 PM

This isn't an fps, and it doesn't multiplayer so I don't see what it has to do with halo.

chuckleslovakian 11-12-2007 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't an fps, and it doesn't multiplayer so I don't see what it has to do with halo.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is either an idiot or leveling. Either way ignore that halo comment.

Dire 11-12-2007 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking of the right game? Dark Alliance was very challenging on hard, and one of the most challenging games I've played on the insane difficulty unlocked after Drizzit's minigame - especially if you start out a new character. It was also a reasonable length. You might be thinking of the sequel. It was short, easy, bland characters with lame skills, bland story and it lost all the fun gameplay of the original.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I could be mistaken. The one I played was on the PS2 and was reasonably fun w/ two players, but was really easy and short (about 3 hrs to beat the game, WTF???). Were the other games only released on PC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yip, that sounds just about like the sequel. If you had any fun at all playing, you really HAVE to try the original Dark Alliance. Such a great game. Imagine everything about the sequel (except item crafting) only improved by several magnitudes, especially the boss fights.

And yeah, the original Baldur's Gates RPGs were PC only (and some of the best RPGs to date IMO). Bioware's big break (ignoring MDK2) into console gaming was with Knights of the Old Republic.

ThaSaltCracka 11-12-2007 09:28 PM

I would love something like Baldurs Gate: DA or something like Kingdom Hearts. Both have had very fun stories to play and great combat systems.

AceLuby 11-16-2007 11:13 AM

Initial reviews are in

Initial Reviews are good

The one bad review said

[ QUOTE ]
As it is, it's merely very good on several different levels, and is more or less a must-play for RPG fans. It will drive shooter fans completely up the wall, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of this they gave it an 80, when all other reviews are 90 or above.

DonkeyKongSr 11-16-2007 12:52 PM

That's a retarded reason to give it a subpar score, "This RPG doesn't play like a FPS, WTF?"

Number27 11-16-2007 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As it is, it's merely very good on several different levels,

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the worst thing someone can say about your game you've probably done a good job.

goofyballer 11-16-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a retarded reason to give it a subpar score, "This RPG doesn't play like a FPS, WTF?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's a valid point to make when you compare it to an RPG like Oblivion that had pretty much universal appeal.

goofyballer 11-16-2007 03:11 PM

Does this link work for anyone? Digg says it should have scans of OXM's 10/10 review of ME but I don't see anything. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

EDIT: SCANZ!

ThaSaltCracka 11-16-2007 03:47 PM

GIGIGIGIGIGIGITTY!

Dire 11-16-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this link work for anyone? Digg says it should have scans of OXM's 10/10 review of ME but I don't see anything. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

EDIT: SCANZ!

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice! Can't wait to see more reviews for this game. Will be incredible if this delivers.

Did anybody get to see the thing on Spike about it? Has the trilogy thing been confirmed? I was worried that might get thrown out the window with EA taking over. Would be so sick if your actions/character in the first game do actually carry over and influence the second game.

Can't wait to go find the pantaloons!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

SBR 11-16-2007 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's a valid point to make when you compare it to an RPG like Oblivion that had pretty much universal appeal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except the combat in Oblivion sucked? So did the leveling? And the story?

EricW 11-16-2007 09:40 PM

I hated Oblivion with a passion. It bored me to death. The levels (especially the dungeon type levels) all seemed the same to me. So basically through the whole game, you were going through hundreds and hundreds of dungeons that were the same and really boring.

goofyballer 11-16-2007 10:12 PM

I loved Oblivion until the day I got 3 red lights and lost my hard-earned character so I guess I just feel differently about that then both of you. And even if that's your experience, that doesn't mean that it didn't appeal to fans of other genres (I mean, I'm not usually an RPG player) much better than most RPGs do. Just look at sales #s.

scotchnrocks 11-16-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I loved Oblivion until the day I got 3 red lights and lost my hard-earned character so I guess I just feel differently about that then both of you. And even if that's your experience, that doesn't mean that it didn't appeal to fans of other genres (I mean, I'm not usually an RPG player) much better than most RPGs do. Just look at sales #s.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, so if your 360 takes a crap, then you lose all of your game save data and achievements? I assumed that stuff was somehow linked to my xboxlive account

KneeCo 11-16-2007 11:53 PM

The (tame, weird, human girl/alien girl lesbian) sex scene that has gotten this game barred in Japan

dibbs 11-17-2007 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wait, so if your 360 takes a crap, then you lose all of your game save data and achievements? I assumed that stuff was somehow linked to my xboxlive account

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about achievements but game save data is obviously stored locally on your hard drive or MU.

goofyballer 11-17-2007 02:23 AM

It is. Best Buy is [censored] evil and demanded I give them my HD with all my data on it when I traded my 360 back in for a new one.

My 2nd 360 also got 3 red lights, but since I sent it back to MS they said I could keep the HD. THANKS A LOT BEST BUY YOU DONKS

Shaqizzle 11-17-2007 02:27 AM

I think it looks fun as hell, the only games i've been waiting to play are Mass Effect and GTAIV.

I've always wanted to play a game where you could choose your path, and just jerk off in space.

Hoya 11-19-2007 12:34 PM

9.6 on TeamXbox, 9.4 on IGN

Dudd 11-19-2007 05:22 PM

Well, it just shipped from Gamefly, so I should hopefully have it either tomorrow or Wednesday. Hope it's good.

BrookTrout 11-20-2007 09:07 AM

Anyone else think that game rankings are becoming more and more a marketing tool? Almost like the video games' version of movie review quotes like "Wildly Entertaining", "This summer's blockbuster movie!" "If you only see one movie this year, make it this one!"...

I've been reading some of the reviews online for this game, from what I used to consider very reputable websites - and while I have yet to play the game - I'm amazed that a reviewer can pan the AI of both enemies and allies during combat, detail some major draw-in issues and still give the game a 9.7/10...

ThaSaltCracka 11-20-2007 11:58 AM

brook, I agree with you. I think magazines in particular are somewhat dodgy because on one page they have an advertisment for the game and on the next they have a review.