Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Brad Booth (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=415873)

David Sklansky 05-30-2007 06:45 PM

Brad Booth

I had no idea he was broke. If he is. Furthermore he has always been so pleasant to me that I am quite unhappy to hear the news. So unhappy that I would strongly preferred that he be doing well than that I would have an opportunity to make a point.

But if it is true that he lost all his money in poker, and that it is common knowledge, it does give me that opportunity and I'm going to take it. Regarding two things.

1. He has often stated that he has never read a book on poker. He has recommended my book to many others but he has not only read one but implied publicly that he didn't need to.

2. When I have played NLH with him he often grossly overraised preflop. As much as twenty big blinds. He played superbly post flop so this often allowed him to make that much more. The problem of course is that he depended on players calling him preflop almost as much as they would if his raises were much smaller. And that often happened since he raised this much, often. But those who understood the underlying math realized that they didn't need to play his game. By admitting defeat in post flop strategy and relying on the inescaple fact that ultra tight play almost automatically has to show a profit against big overbettors, his strategy is nullified. Now I don't know if this was definitely a big part of his downfall, but if it wasn't it would have been. As long as he stuck to his strategy.

The bottom line is that Brad may very well been yet another victim of a disrespect for the underlying math that pervades almost all gambling. Whether that be not understanding probability or not understanding volatility and standard deviations.

mlagoo 05-30-2007 06:46 PM

Re: Brad Booth

[ QUOTE ]
2. When I have played NLH with him he often grossly overraised preflop. As much as twenty big blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like you could make a killing sitting in that game with 100BBs or less.

ifoughtpiranhas 05-30-2007 06:50 PM

<------awaits the onslaught

Dexter_Cain 05-30-2007 06:50 PM

you're quite the NVG whore this week David

roaaahhh 05-30-2007 06:51 PM

are we being leveled or is this guy going senile before out very eyes

Butcho22 05-30-2007 06:52 PM

Just go for the gold and fill up the entire first page of NVG...you can do it!

Angrymoog 05-30-2007 06:54 PM

David,

I read in the other thread that Booth liked tossing money around, spending 25k+ per month to live at the Bellagio. If his p0ker wasnt at fault, perhaps it was money management.

TStoneMBD 05-30-2007 06:56 PM

david, your post is really good but im now siding with the others that youre one of the worst nvg posters ever, but its because youre making too many threads. WTF

05-30-2007 06:56 PM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Yeti 05-30-2007 07:00 PM

oh dear david. i said you were a terrible nvg poster in your first thread. then you made 3 more that were all equally as bad.

poor show indeed.