Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Some New Reading Recommendations? Varied Genre suggestions needed. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=555184)

JMP300z 11-26-2007 10:26 PM

Some New Reading Recommendations? Varied Genre suggestions needed.

Before you say "see previous threads", know that I have spent an hour going through them and amazon and have only slightly narrowed down my choices.

I'm finishing up with finals and boards and will be spending two and a half peaceful weeks on the beach in the Caribbean and need some fresh reading material.

I already have a non-fiction backlog of books I'm halfway through (GEB, the great influenza, the origin of wealth, conspiracy of fools to name a few) that I am setting aside temporarily.

I just finished Infinite Jest and rekindled my love for fiction.

Some of my favorites include Gatsby, Dorian Gray, anything Borges, Easton-Ellis, Vonnegut, catch 22, nabokov, dostoevsky, also enjoy sci fi-have read heinlein, card, adams.

Some books/authors I have noted from past threads:

Will prob pick one of these two I cant believe I havent read:
To Kill a Mockingbird
In Cold Blood
Read one? both? Which first?

Also looking into Eco or Roth? I wasn't really sold on the Amazon info/reviews.

Any ideas on short stories? Have obv read 9 stories. Also recently enjoyed Hempel and O'brien.

SciFi ideas: Cryptonomicron? Neuromancer? Ive heard good things about these.

Also, whats a good translation of Brother's Karamazov to read? I've read about half of a really poor one and want to switch.

Any other varied suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance!

-JP

Enrique 11-26-2007 11:09 PM

Re: Some New Reading Recommendations? Varied Genre suggestions needed

I just recently read Cryptonomicon and I think it was excellent. Check it out.

Azizal 11-26-2007 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just recently read Cryptonomicon and I think it was excellent. Check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Finished about 2 weeks ago and it put me in a mood to read everything Stephenson has written. The Baroque Cycle is a loose prequel to Cryptonomicon, apparently.

Glad you enjoyed Infinite Jest. I was considering re-reading it as it's been 8-9 years.

You should check out A Game of Thrones (fantasy) and the subsequent books. They are incredible: gritty, realistic, raw, unforgiving, and unbelievably detailed.

irishiain 11-27-2007 12:00 AM

I've been on a Vince Flynn kick lately.

If you like fast, racy thrillers check some of his stuff out.

oe39 11-27-2007 09:02 AM

Re: Some New Reading Recommendations? Varied Genre suggestions needed.

after reading ian mcewan - enduring love, i went out and bought 5 more of his books. it's not a very long book...

Enrique 11-27-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
after reading ian mcewan - enduring love, i went out and bought 5 more of his books. it's not a very long book...

[/ QUOTE ]

I read McEwan's "Saturday" and I loved it.

Potvaliant 11-27-2007 11:45 PM

If you like Borges, you might like Italo Calvino. The short story collections Cosmicomics, Numbers in the Dark, and t zero might remind you most of Borges, though my favorites are the novels The Baron in the Trees and If on a Winter's Night a Traveller.

diddyeinstein 11-28-2007 11:29 AM

A Game of Thrones was a good pick.

I would say start with In Cold Blood, but that's just because I liked it so much.

KungFuManchu 11-29-2007 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, whats a good translation of Brother's Karamazov to read? I've read about half of a really poor one and want to switch.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

Which translation are you reading? I just picked up the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky (husband/wife team)...Ive heard they are really good. Then again Ive never read Doestoevsky, but I picked up Crime and punishment and Brothers K after reading an interview where he said he loves melville, Faulkner and Doestovesky.

KungFuManchu 11-29-2007 05:52 AM

Oh and Neuromancer is good stuff, Im reading it for the second time at the moment.

I also second Game of Thrones, great series. HBO is going to be filming the first of these books in the near future, each book being a whole season.